Aftermarket Battery question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 03:05 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
09 E63 AMG
Aftermarket Battery question

Hey guys

So I just bought an E55 AMG and was told the aux battery needed to be changed at cost of $150. Decided to buy that from Mercedes. Now it ends up being the main battery that is bad. Turns out its a 2007 battery! I have a hard time forking out another $450 for the main battery at the dealer after just buying this car so was wondering if anyone has bought after market batteries. Locally I can get an EverStart for $150 or another brand for $170. Are these ok or should I stick to the OEM?
Old 05-30-2016, 04:58 PM

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts
E63 AMG 2007
First check out the "sticky" Common replacement parts thread.

You need a size 49 battery, you want it to be an AGM type because they are sealed and less likely to leak, be sure the terminals are on the correct side so your cables will reach. You may have to reprogram the windows and sunroof after the disconnect but I hear it is simple, so search if you have an issue.

I found this reference but you need to check that it is correct:
Diehard Gold AGM, group size EP-49. $180 with exchange at Sears

You should not need to spend $450, but people have had very good luck with the dealer supplied batteries.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:38 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
09 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Dublinoh
First check out the "sticky" Common replacement parts thread.

You need a size 49 battery, you want it to be an AGM type because they are sealed and less likely to leak, be sure the terminals are on the correct side so your cables will reach. You may have to reprogram the windows and sunroof after the disconnect but I hear it is simple, so search if you have an issue.

I found this reference but you need to check that it is correct:
Diehard Gold AGM, group size EP-49. $180 with exchange at Sears

You should not need to spend $450, but people have had very good luck with the dealer supplied batteries.
Thanks! Ya unfortunately I'm up in Canada so those links in the thread don't do me any good. And sears doesn't sell car parts up here. And I called 2 local places and they don't have the Exide one. But I have a feeling that Everstart for $150 up here isn't an AGM so will definitely not go with that one.

Anyone ever use/fit an OPTIMA battery? They are probably the best batteries I have ever bought. My first one lasted me almost 10 years and 3 cars! Not to mention crazy stereo draw (younger days)! From the ones I have seen it seems like they wouldn't fit though unless they make a special one?

I know the procedure for the reset seems pretty simple and I have done it before on my s class that went dead over winter.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:56 PM

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts
E63 AMG 2007
Auto Value Auto Parts, searched Calgary AB

Interstate AGM. MT5-49/H8. $310 (Canadian?)
Old 05-30-2016, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Absolutely nothing magical about a dealer battery