Sponsored by:

Is Trump for real He wants a 35% tax in German cars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 03:33 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
?
Is Trump for real He wants a 35% tax in German cars

So lets buy now~ According various news agencies including FOX, Trumps wants a 35% tax on German cars.

Last edited by Astolfo; 01-16-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
No, its just if a plant making a car here in the U.S. is closed and the production is then done in lets say Mexico. BMW is thinking of doing that.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:11 PM

?
I do not know but for what I read, it is blank statement.

How about fixing and bringing American cars up to quality first? Using the least common denominator for engineering excellence and quality is not leadership.

I guess time will tell
Old 01-16-2017, 06:15 PM

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
2014 E63s 1993 mazda rx7 on Boost
Americans cars are made in China...

Toyota is more American than a Ford/Chevy...
Old 01-17-2017, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
we should tax his european wives
Old 01-17-2017, 03:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E63P, 2013 GL550
Originally Posted by Astolfo
So lets buy now~ According various news agencies including FOX, Trumps wants a 35% tax on German cars.
Not Going To Happen!
Old 01-17-2017, 10:27 AM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2005 E320 CDI (SOLD); 2008 ML320 CDI 4MATIC
Fox Business News just reported that U.S. cars imported into Germany pay a 10% tariff while German cars imported into U.S. presently only pay a 2.5% tariff so while 35% quote might come across strong, I think Trump knows true # he'll realistically settle for will be more in line with what Germany does to U.S. imports currently & maybe even go higher to reverse flow awhile & give U.S. opportunity to catch up with foreign competitor policies.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E63P, 2013 GL550
Originally Posted by PSDCampervan
Fox Business News just reported that U.S. cars imported into Germany pay a 10% tariff while German cars imported into U.S. presently only pay a 2.5% tariff so while 35% quote might come across strong, I think Trump knows true # he'll realistically settle for will be more in line with what Germany does to U.S. imports currently & maybe even go higher to reverse flow awhile & give U.S. opportunity to catch up with foreign competitor policies.
According to Forbes;

"In an interview with Germany’s BILD Zeitung, published late Sunday night, Trump said BMW would “waste its time and money” building a plant in Mexico, because Trump would slap the Bavarian automaker with his infamous “35% border tax.” After Ford, GM, and Toyota, BMW is the fourth automaker in Trump’s cross-hairs.
In the interview – it is translated into German, and behind BILD’s paywall – Trump complains that the Germans were “very unfair to the U.S.” After all, said Trump, “how many Chevrolets do you see in Germany?” With that, Trump once again demonstrated that he learned less about the car business than a 14 year-old reader of the Jalopnik carblog. The 14 yo knows that GM pulled Chevrolet from the European market in 2015, after an attempt to turn Chevrolet into a global car brand turned into, to steal Trump’s lines, a “total disaster.” To make matters worse for the Europeans, and now Trump, the Chevrolets weren't American, but made-in-Korea.

What Trump also failed to grasp is the fact that GM has a strong presence in Germany and Europe. It is called Opel, and Vauxhall in the UK. Opel, and also Ford, are big in Germany. Last year, each sold a similar amount of cars in Germany as BMW. Ford Europe and Opel are unlikely to be looking forward to become collateral damage of a trade war between the U.S. and the EU.
In Germany, a government official already warned that German auto production in the United States, and with it many jobs, could be threatened if U.S. President-elect Donald Trump puts in place protectionist trade measures, Reuters wrote."
Old 01-17-2017, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
my 401K is up $40K in 2 months since trump got elected so whatever lol
Old 01-17-2017, 12:11 PM

?
Originally Posted by PSDCampervan

But who wants a US built car today? I would never buy a US built car until quality, quality control, performance, assembling craftsmanship and engineering come up to EU built cars (major EU brands).

On top, cars designed for the American market (i.e. Mustang, Viper, etc) almost do not fit in EU roads, they can't turn and they are bought mostly as "show" cars.

I would say if you want a share of market, the US car manufacturers have to do a LOT of work not only in quality, performance, reliability, safety and craftsmanship, but design to even start competing in the international market.

Dumping a 600HP engine in 4 wheels that can't turn is not a performance car, it is a dragstrip car that can't be used in the streets of any EU, or Asian market.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:13 PM

?
Originally Posted by Abunde
According to Forbes;

"In an interview with Germany’s BILD Zeitung, published late Sunday night, Trump said BMW would “waste its time and money” building a plant in Mexico, because Trump would slap the Bavarian automaker with his infamous “35% border tax.” After Ford, GM, and Toyota, BMW is the fourth automaker in Trump’s cross-hairs.
In the interview – it is translated into German, and behind BILD’s paywall – Trump complains that the Germans were “very unfair to the U.S.” After all, said Trump, “how many Chevrolets do you see in Germany?” With that, Trump once again demonstrated that he learned less about the car business than a 14 year-old reader of the Jalopnik carblog. The 14 yo knows that GM pulled Chevrolet from the European market in 2015, after an attempt to turn Chevrolet into a global car brand turned into, to steal Trump’s lines, a “total disaster.” To make matters worse for the Europeans, and now Trump, the Chevrolets weren't American, but made-in-Korea.

What Trump also failed to grasp is the fact that GM has a strong presence in Germany and Europe. It is called Opel, and Vauxhall in the UK. Opel, and also Ford, are big in Germany. Last year, each sold a similar amount of cars in Germany as BMW. Ford Europe and Opel are unlikely to be looking forward to become collateral damage of a trade war between the U.S. and the EU.
In Germany, a government official already warned that German auto production in the United States, and with it many jobs, could be threatened if U.S. President-elect Donald Trump puts in place protectionist trade measures, Reuters wrote."

+1
Old 01-17-2017, 09:32 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
None
Originally Posted by vdubpower
we should tax his european wives
LOL!
Old 01-17-2017, 09:37 PM

None
But who wants a US built car today? I would never buy a US built car until quality, quality control, performance, assembling craftsmanship and engineering come up to EU built cars (major EU brands).

On top, cars designed for the American market (i.e. Mustang, Viper, etc) almost do not fit in EU roads, they can't turn and they are bought mostly as "show" cars.

I would say if you want a share of market, the US car manufacturers have to do a LOT of work not only in quality, performance, reliability, safety and craftsmanship, but design to even start competing in the international market.

Dumping a 600HP engine in 4 wheels that can't turn is not a performance car, it is a dragstrip car that can't be used in the streets of any EU, or Asian market.
It doesn't matter where the cars are built or designed. It's about the companies that do so, their brand strategies, priorities, design & production processes.
Toyota and Lexus build bland, reliable cars, regardless of which country they build them in. That's because their design process and quality control is consistent across the company.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:55 PM

?
Originally Posted by looney100
It doesn't matter where the cars are built or designed. It's about the companies that do so, their brand strategies, priorities, design & production processes.
Toyota and Lexus build bland, reliable cars, regardless of which country they build them in. That's because their design process and quality control is consistent across the company.
I beg to disagree. Look at MB and BMW build/assembled in the us and those in Estonia and Alabama, the difference is abysmal. Or for that matter those built in the US and Mexico. I would have mine with a bottle of aged Agave please.

Anyways, it would be interesting to see what happens.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,003 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
My GL built in Alabama is the best MB I've ever owned. It has over 200k and is as tight as the day I got the car. Can't say the same for my German built E or SL. I love the E and SL but they are not holding up nearly as well.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Engineering and quality control are the key, regardless of where it is built.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:30 PM

?
Originally Posted by otakki
Engineering and quality control are the key, regardless of where it is built.

and materials and employees. Just like with tires not all source materials and quality matters. Take a look at Continental tires for example you can the exact tire model built in one country, then buy a new one from another and the tire characteristics are completely different. that is why you would want to select the country of origin for all the tires...

There are 1000 shades of grey....if not German cars would be as warm and stylish as an Italian car and an Italian would be as precisely engineered as a German.

Are you saying that if you were given the choice between a car manufactured and assembled in Germany and a car Designed in Germany but assembled and manufactured in the US, you would pick the Made in America car? If so good for you, I would not at the present time.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:22 PM

None
I beg to disagree. Look at MB and BMW build/assembled in the us and those in Estonia and Alabama, the difference is abysmal. Or for that matter those built in the US and Mexico. I would have mine with a bottle of aged Agave please.

Anyways, it would be interesting to see what happens.
I realize that my personal experience is far from a representative sample, but we currently own two German-built E Classes, and have not been impressed with the quality of either. We're on the third transmission in my wife's E250, and I'll be bringing it to the dealership Friday for the same issue again.

My E63 has also been far from flawless.

Prior cars were a Toyota and an Acura - both built in Canada. In 14 years of ownership between the two, only two trips to the dealership for warranty repairs.

Variations in vehicle reliability are much greater between manufacturers than countries of origin.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63
Mercedes had the worst, must unreliable junk cars up until about 10 years ago. Few years ago, I had fun when my 30k mile C63 AMG had the engine lock up going down the freeway due to stuck injectors. Others had the head bolt issue.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Originally Posted by YellowJacket
Mercedes had the worst, must unreliable junk cars up until about 10 years ago. Few years ago, I had fun when my 30k mile C63 AMG had the engine lock up going down the freeway due to stuck injectors. Others had the head bolt issue.
Although the problem exists I could count by hand the number of actual cases.
It is a fact European car's quality has been ahead of the US for a very long time. We are just catching up ...
Old 01-22-2017, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,003 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Interesting, Chevy, Ford, Buick, and GMC all outrank MB in the 2016 JD Powers Quality rankings.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:42 PM

Received 157 Likes on 104 Posts
2019 E63S wagon; 2016 Landrover Landmark
Abunde... great info. Ford used to produce cars in Germany with the Ford label. My dad had a '74 Capri he swore was "just like a sports car", as it was made in W. Germany... but my dad thought that Schlitz was beer too.

I think Trump will ride his wave of populism, and begin to fade fast. We can already see a turning of the tide. Markets are lower, the press had grown a pair of *****, and all of the Cabinet nominations are horrible (most diametrically opposed to the very agency to which they were nominated to run).

I hope I'm right here, but nothing will change with import taxes. The only people who will get screwed are the people losing HC under the ACA... such a pity.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 24Hours
I think Trump will ride his wave of populism, and begin to fade fast. We can already see a turning of the tide. Markets are lower, the press had grown a pair of *****, and all of the Cabinet nominations are horrible (most diametrically opposed to the very agency to which they were nominated to run).

I hope I'm right here, but nothing will change with import taxes. The only people who will get screwed are the people losing HC under the ACA... such a pity.
markets are lower? lol ok, you demonstrated your lack of subject matter expertise with that statement as clearly you dont know what you are talking about, which makes all your other talking points hard to take seriously... I work in the markets and they are anything but down(unless you are talking about markets that are inversely correlated to US equities markets, but why would you be?) ... keep drinking the kool-aid from msnbc/cnn

here's how down the dja is since election

Is Trump for real He wants a 35% tax in German cars-marketsnap_zpswvvfpdlb.jpg

fyi that rate of return is = to about 46% annualized (((19800/18300)^(365/76))-1) and dja is historically 7% annualized

Last edited by gaspam; 01-23-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:47 PM

None
Markets have runs up and down all the time, often without explanation - and with abrupt changes. You can't attribute the gain to Trump, nor can you expect it to continue.

Using your same methodology, I could say that the S&P 500 was down 0.5% in the day and a half since Trump was sworn in. This means that the market will be at 0 by the end of the year.

Markets go up, markets go down. Rarely do we truly know why. Futures were down several percentage points on election night when it looked like Trump would win. Before trading started the next morning things were flat.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lol you have no idea what your are talking about, but ok

look at the previous dja graph its not a miniscule couple day swing... its 76 days... markets dont run up 76 days just randomly... day over day sure, but we are not talking only a few days

their is no other significant financial news to push the dja up that much for that long without correction... its 100% trump and the markets anticipation of deregulation he has promised he would enact.... now conversely if we dont see any progress on deregulation over next quarter or 2 then you can rest assured we will start to see a sharp correction

Also, at the same time period since election 10YT bond rates have gone up 60 basis points (thats huge in 76 days)... you know why? because bond prices collapsed since economic expansion is expected so bond investors flock out of fixed income safe havens into the equities market for anticipated economic growth (bond markets are generally inversely correlated to equities)..... hmmm weird its almost like ever since trump got elected there is giant glaring correlatively trend in the financial markets (both equities and fixed income) that everyone notices but you yes, its just normal market noise... nothing to see there, happens all time lol

there is a saying in the fixed income/ bond market that goes "what's bad for america is good for bonds " so clearly the markets/ traders (that's me) think trump is good for the financial markets since the bond markets have tanked and equities rallied

Is Trump for real He wants a 35% tax in German cars-bondsnap_zps1d09y4y9.jpg

Last edited by gaspam; 01-23-2017 at 10:31 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is Trump for real He wants a 35% tax in German cars