Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

SLR ceramic brake surface cracks and squeal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes SLR, G63, s500 2013, Bentley GTC and 1970 Rolls Royce Corniche
SLR ceramic brake surface cracks and squeal

Hey guys,

I'm reposting this here cause I'm not sure where to post it.

I have a 2006 SLR with about 2000 miles. During my service at a shop, not the delear, they informed me the ceramic brakes have surface cracks and this was causing the squeal. In past I did my homework and found ceramics squeal no mater what you do or replace. The squeal only appears now after driving and warming the brakes up. Cold they are quite. And they only squeak when I'm about to stop. IE, slow speed up to a traffic light. I was told before to stop the squeal I need to hard brake from crazy speed which I never did. My question is this do I need to replace the brakes? If I do which after market brake company should I use? I was quoted 370,000 AED in Dubai from Brembo and this is with a 40% discount which works out to 100,750 USD for 4 disc, pads and sensors. I found carbon ceramic brakes from wilwood for 5000 USD which is wayyyy better but have no clue about them at all. Any help would be appreciated. To sum up again, do I need new brakes or am I good as?

Thanks
Old 06-16-2015, 03:28 PM

E220cdi avantgarde
try using EBC red brake pads, these are available in the UK, not sure about your location, just found on line, should be easy to obtain, hair line cracks smell a bit fishy to me.

Last edited by giuseppesalvato; 06-16-2015 at 03:33 PM. Reason: addition
Old 06-16-2015, 09:11 PM

Mercedes SLR, G63, s500 2013, Bentley GTC and 1970 Rolls Royce Corniche
Originally Posted by giuseppesalvato
try using EBC red brake pads, these are available in the UK, not sure about your location, just found on line, should be easy to obtain, hair line cracks smell a bit fishy to me.
I'll check them out. I can take a picture and post it to show the issue. They say it's causing the squeal but I read the cracks are normal so no idea