Xenon Bulb replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 08:32 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
Xenon Bulb replacement

I had to have on whole headlight replaced a few month ago and now the color of the new light and old light do not match.

How hard is it to replace just the bulb on a factory xenon headlight?

I have replaced some of the other lights (for color match) but have never messed with the xenon as I thought there were some special considerations for these.

Also, I know its in this forum somewhere but could someone quickly repost what the exact bulb I need to match the factory bulb is.

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E320
Originally Posted by Bundy
I had to have on whole headlight replaced a few month ago and now the color of the new light and old light do not match.

How hard is it to replace just the bulb on a factory xenon headlight?

I have replaced some of the other lights (for color match) but have never messed with the xenon as I thought there were some special considerations for these.

Also, I know its in this forum somewhere but could someone quickly repost what the exact bulb I need to match the factory bulb is.

Thanks.

It's quite easy to replace the bulbs. Just twist off that big black circular plastic that protects the back of the housing. Then twist off the special HID connector (its actually the igniter). It should look like a square if I recall correctly. The bulbs you need are D2S. I would stick with Philips 4100K since this what usually comes as stock. This site is the cheapest I've found online. http://www.hidplanet.com/philips.html
You could also find some on ebay.

Oh yeah, make sure you clean the bulb itself with rubbing alcohol before installation. Any oil from your fingers could cause the bulb to explode due to overheating.

Last edited by W211 Ryda; 02-15-2006 at 09:15 AM.