*** Another tip for heat management ***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 08:28 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
*** Another tip for heat management ***

Well.. I was experimenting a few weeks ago with an automotive relay, a switch, and some wires to try and control the car's electric fan. The ECU doesn't run the fan as frequently as I would like and waits too long for the temp to rise before activating it.

After doing some research I found that Star Diagnostics can be used to "tweak" the fan turn-on setting. Since I was going to get my UHI phone kit and VR module installed tonight by Steve I asked if he could make the "tweak" for me...

We discovered that the Star Diagnostics allows you to change the fan turn-on temp 0C - 10C BELOW the factory setting (I dont know what the exact factory temperature is that the fan gets activated at).

-0C is the default.. I had Steve set it to -10C.. My fan now turns on -10C earlier and man is it alot louder now.. I think it also adjusts the speed because I've never heard the fan scream so loud before.

Anyways.. My car seems to have been running at 100C whenever I was on the throttle.. It would settle down to 95C if I just cruised but the minute I accelerated it climbed back up to 100C.

Tonight on the drive home (35km) I was on the throttle the whole way.. The engine temp never went above 90C !!!!!!

I guess that 10C setting really does work!

Next time any of you are around Star Diagnostics, I would recommend you change this setting. You modified boys (EVO Stage 2, 3 and Kleemann 2, 3) would benefit the most from this.

Just thought I would share...
Old 10-18-2005, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Thanks for sharing this bit of info with us!!!
Old 10-18-2005, 09:05 PM

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
2020 G550
Nice
I'll see if my tech can find it. Any tips on where it's at in star?
Old 10-18-2005, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Originally Posted by E552006
Nice
I'll see if my tech can find it. Any tips on where it's at in star?
I'd like to know as well. I know the dealer will not want to do this unless they know exactly how it's done. They already looked at me funny when I told them they had to reprogram the computer to accept my retrofitted bi-xenons. Of course, I was right abou that too.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 Porsche 997TT
Yeah, I would love to do this as well as my car is ALWAYS at 100 - And it gets there real fast. But any info. on where this is would be appreciated. I can only imagine the blank stare i'm going to get when I mention this.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
My car stays around 90. However if I can get my tech at the dealer to do this for me I wonder if the car would gain any real power or not?
Old 10-19-2005, 03:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by medici78
I'd like to know as well. I know the dealer will not want to do this unless they know exactly how it's done. They already looked at me funny when I told them they had to reprogram the computer to accept my retrofitted bi-xenons. Of course, I was right abou that too.
My dealer is the same way, please vrus, any info on where is Star this is?
Old 10-19-2005, 10:08 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Hi Guys,

I dont remember the exact menu it was in, but, I will get the location of this and post it for you guys. On my car it made a big difference because it liked to run on the hotter side..

The biggest change you will notice is when you park the car.. If you get out of the car while it is running and the fan is on, it sounds like the turbine engine on a plane spinning up... It's quite loud now.

I will post the location later today if I can get it confirmed.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:28 PM

2004 E55 Evosport I & II; VRP H/E
Victor:

Thanks for the infomation. After reading your post, I was able to arrange for an appointment with Steve to adjust mine this Saturday while he is in the Los Angeles area.

How is the EVO cooling upgrade working out for you? I'll probably pull the trigger on that in the spring when the temps start to go back up -- I just realized how stupid that sounded. Where I live, the average high temp rises from 66 degrees in January to 84 degrees in August. Nothing like what you must experience.

-Mark.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:39 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
No problem.. Good timing that Steve is coming back to L.A.

In case I don't get the info confirmed before then, please post it up for the rest of the guys.. I think if you can get the menu hierarchy that he goes into that should be enough for a dealer to be able to find it.

EVO cooling system is great. Had a pump failure but other than that it works great.. I had data logs that showed IAT within 10C - 15C of ambient temps.

When they are ready with the SLR intercoolers they are going on my car also.. Both systems together should put IAT at least at ambient or maybe even below...

Yeah.. You L.A. boys are really lucky.. It went down to -40C with windchill here last winter.. How's that for cold ??

Hope to hell it isn't a really cold winter this year...

Originally Posted by lbE55
Victor:

Thanks for the infomation. After reading your post, I was able to arrange for an appointment with Steve to adjust mine this Saturday while he is in the Los Angeles area.

How is the EVO cooling upgrade working out for you? I'll probably pull the trigger on that in the spring when the temps start to go back up -- I just realized how stupid that sounded. Where I live, the average high temp rises from 66 degrees in January to 84 degrees in August. Nothing like what you must experience.

-Mark.

Last edited by vrus; 10-19-2005 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:00 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Hi Guys,

Ok.. Steve confirmed that the setting is to be found in the "Variable Settings" menu of the "ME Unit".
Old 11-04-2005, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anyone ever find out if this mod really makes a difference or not? (Speed/power wise not temp.)
Old 11-07-2005, 05:04 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Did any of you guys try this on your car?

Mine is still consistently 10C below what I normally ran at. I am seeing 85C - 90C on my temp display where I was getting 100C before.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:05 PM

07 S65
I would like to but, I don't know of anyone in my area that can do this mod.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Maybe our dealers will hook us up...? It IS a stock mod (if that even exists )
Old 11-07-2005, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
VIctor do you have headers on your car?
Old 11-07-2005, 07:59 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by BoBcanada
VIctor do you have headers on your car?
Hey Vlad,

Yup. I have the Evosport headers. I am looking to buy a set of Kleemann headers to test on the dyno and see how they compare to the EVO ones.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Eleanor Owner
Anyone ever find out if this mod really makes a difference or not? (Speed/power wise not temp.)
Eleanor: I think that we exchanged a couple of PM with this. On my car, it has seemed to lower coolant temps, consistently, by 10 degrees.

I'll take a stab (a guess) at answering your question. The answer is: it can't hurt.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but here was my thought: I believe that the coolant (at stock) is shared between the engine and the intercooler. (I seem to remember that the EVO cooling upgrade separates the two and, with the EVO system, the intercooler has its own coolant). I don't have any cooling mods on my car. Anyway, in my mind, I figured that I would see a benefit in performance by lowering the temp of the coolant used by the intercooler. (Even a small benefit would be great because the cost was negligible.)

But it I'm wrong the best answer still is: it can't hurt.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:05 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by lbE55
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but here was my thought: I believe that the coolant (at stock) is shared between the engine and the intercooler. (I seem to remember that the EVO cooling upgrade separates the two and, with the EVO system, the intercooler has its own coolant). I don't have any cooling mods on my car. Anyway, in my mind, I figured that I would see a benefit in performance by lowering the temp of the coolant used by the intercooler. (Even a small benefit would be great because the cost was negligible.)
Excellent point!! Those without the separated cooling system will even get a better benefit out of it because it will affect the intercooler temp also.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by vrus
Hey Vlad,

Yup. I have the Evosport headers. I am looking to buy a set of Kleemann headers to test on the dyno and see how they compare to the EVO ones.
did the headers lowered the engine tempreture?

Btw closer to spring im planning on getting slightly used 05 E55 + kleemann mods... :v it will stay for a long time tho!
Old 11-07-2005, 08:59 PM

Excellent point!! Those without the separated cooling system will even get a better benefit out of it because it will affect the intercooler temp also.
Thanks

While I'm generally happy to take credit for somone else's idea, I got the idea from you when you made your original post on this thread:

You modified boys (EVO Stage 2, 3 and Kleemann 2, 3) would benefit the most from this.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
I really want to take my car to the dealer to get this done, but I don't trust them. The only person I trust is steve. Anyone know of any dealers that are willing to get this done for me? Thanks in advance...
Old 11-08-2005, 02:06 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by BoBcanada
did the headers lowered the engine tempreture?

Btw closer to spring im planning on getting slightly used 05 E55 + kleemann mods... :v it will stay for a long time tho!
It's hard to say for sure. Without having pyrometers in the engine bay and measuring levels its hard to tell if underhood temps were lower or not.

The headers have a thermobaric coating on them which help to contain heat so I know it was better than the stock headers but I have no concrete #'s to share.

E55 + mods is the way to go.. Forget the E63.. Pickup a used E55 and go nuts... By then a few other products will be on the market to push power well into the 700hp range. Talk about tire-shredding fun...
Old 06-10-2006, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Well.. I was experimenting a few weeks ago with an automotive relay, a switch, and some wires to try and control the car's electric fan. The ECU doesn't run the fan as frequently as I would like and waits too long for the temp to rise before activating it.

After doing some research I found that Star Diagnostics can be used to "tweak" the fan turn-on setting. Since I was going to get my UHI phone kit and VR module installed tonight by Steve I asked if he could make the "tweak" for me...

We discovered that the Star Diagnostics allows you to change the fan turn-on temp 0C - 10C BELOW the factory setting (I dont know what the exact factory temperature is that the fan gets activated at).

-0C is the default.. I had Steve set it to -10C.. My fan now turns on -10C earlier and man is it alot louder now.. I think it also adjusts the speed because I've never heard the fan scream so loud before.

Anyways.. My car seems to have been running at 100C whenever I was on the throttle.. It would settle down to 95C if I just cruised but the minute I accelerated it climbed back up to 100C.

Tonight on the drive home (35km) I was on the throttle the whole way.. The engine temp never went above 90C !!!!!!

I guess that 10C setting really does work!

Next time any of you are around Star Diagnostics, I would recommend you change this setting. You modified boys (EVO Stage 2, 3 and Kleemann 2, 3) would benefit the most from this.

Just thought I would share...
Question - the screenshot from another thread contains an explanation indicating that setting the fan adjustment to "-10" has the effect of increasing the temperature at which the fan kicks on. In other words, if the explanation in that screen shot is applicable to Star Diagnostics, Steve should have set the fan adjustment to "+10" to get the fans on 10 degrees sooner.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....0&postcount=10

I have read great things about Steve, so I assume that he knows what he is doing.

Can anyone explain this?
Old 06-10-2006, 10:27 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
The -10 mod was just the name I gave to it. On the screen in Star it doesnt have a sign in front of the number. It just showed 10. The reason I say -10 is because the fans turn on SOONER as in a lower temperature. So, if the fans used to turn on at 100, now doing the mod, they will turn on at 90.

Does that make sense?

Originally Posted by enzom
Question - the screenshot from another thread contains an explanation indicating that setting the fan adjustment to "-10" has the effect of increasing the temperature at which the fan kicks on. In other words, if the explanation in that screen shot is applicable to Star Diagnostics, Steve should have set the fan adjustment to "+10" to get the fans on 10 degrees sooner.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....0&postcount=10

I have read great things about Steve, so I assume that he knows what he is doing.

Can anyone explain this?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: *** Another tip for heat management ***