190E (W201) 1982-1993: 190E 2.3, 190E 2.6, 190E 2.3-16, 190E 2.5-16, 190 D 2.2, 190 D 2.5, 190 D 2.5 TURBO, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution I, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II

Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 07:06 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'92 190E 2.6
Transmission Problems

Hello,

I had my modulator changed a couple of days ago.

The transmission slips when the engine is hot, meaning not all the power goes from the engine to the rear wheels. When I floor it to the kick-down swich the torque converter? "grabs" and there's instant acceleration. What's causing this the slipping to happen during gradual acceleration.

Also, when I was driving without the modulator the slipping was was more pronounced so I drained some ATF because there was too much showing on the dip stick, that didn't make slipping go away, instead raised shift-points to too-high, I have to let the foot off the gas almost all the way to upshift. I than added back some fluid but nothing changed. Does the modulator affect shift points? I turned the key on the modulator one notch to the left to make shifts a little smoother.

I had fluid and filter changed about 6 thousand miles ago. All help is appreciated. Thanks

Car has 109k miles.

Maciej
'92 190E 2.6
Old 05-09-2005, 09:08 PM
Almost a Member!

1985 190E 2.3
Replace the vacuum hose that goes from the intake to the modulator and see if helps. Also, when you replace the modulator, it must be able to hold atleast 14 inches of vacuum. You can test it with a hand held vacuum pump attached to the vacuum hose fitting. Also, try adjusting the transmission control cable and see if its helps.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:26 AM
Almost a Member!

'92 190E 2.6
Transmission and Idle

Thanks for the advice.

The hose to the modulator is good, and the modulator holds up to 30 inches of pressure (that's how far the meter goes).

I got instructions on adjusting the Bowden cable and the whole mechanism so maybe that will help out.

I noticed that when my cars idle fluctuated crazy at start up it was because the micro switch (fuel cut-off) wasn't activated at idle so my mechanic adjusted the cable for the switch no to have contact with the accelerator bracket. Can that switch be messing things up?

After cleaning the electric idle valve the car will now idle 1.5 to 2k for a couple of seconds at start up and than fall to .9k and sometimes fall to .4k just like it did before. My hose to the atmosphere is splitting so there is stuff going into the valve but I cleaned it....

There is no pressure when I open the gas cap. That started happening after the distributor was taken apart and put back together by my mechanic after I turned out the mixture screw all the way loosing the preload of the spring.

Last resort for the transmission is changing out the AT fluid again.

Please give me any tips, advice. I'm trying to sell the car.

Thanks

Maciej
'92 190E 2.6
Old 05-12-2005, 08:14 PM
Almost a Member!

1985 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by MaciekPL87

I noticed that when my cars idle fluctuated crazy at start up it was because the micro switch (fuel cut-off) wasn't activated at idle so my mechanic adjusted the cable for the switch no to have contact with the accelerator bracket. Can that switch be messing things up?

After cleaning the electric idle valve the car will now idle 1.5 to 2k for a couple of seconds at start up and than fall to .9k and sometimes fall to .4k just like it did before. My hose to the atmosphere is splitting so there is stuff going into the valve but I cleaned it....

There is no pressure when I open the gas cap. That started happening after the distributor was taken apart and put back together by my mechanic after I turned out the mixture screw all the way loosing the preload of the spring.

Last resort for the transmission is changing out the AT fluid again.

Please give me any tips, advice. I'm trying to sell the car.

Thanks

Maciej
'92 190E 2.6
The throttle plate should rest against the microswitch without any given throttle. Check your vacuum hoses for leaks that go to the air intake assembly.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:46 PM
Almost a Member!

'92 190E 2.6
I adjusted the throttle linkage today and the plate rests on the switch, but the engine starts fluctuating heavily at start-up so I unplugged the idle valve and it starts up perfect (at least when hot). I tried to clean it with carb cleaner again but that didn't help. Something electrical?

There's the hose that goes into the vent tube which goes from a valve in front of the intake bowl placed transversally. The two hoses than go from electrical units on the engine side of the firewall on the passenger side. I tried to check all the ones I see and they all look fine.

Maciej
'92 190E 2.6
Old 05-13-2005, 07:24 PM
Almost a Member!

1985 190E 2.3
If your having start up problems or idle problems or it fluctuates like you said. Its not transmission related. Its engine related, probably something with the fuel or maybe something needs to be adjusted. I cant really help you on that one.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:02 PM
Almost a Member!

'92 190E 2.6
Well, with the idle switch disconnected it starts perfectly hot or cold.

I was thinking about the slipping some more, and it might be hoses that weren't correctly connected after engine rebuilt but everything is fine and the car hauls *** when engine cold so can it be that the coolant clogged the catalytic converter, and when it heats up it just blocks the exhaust....

Anyway the problem is probably not as much tranny related since the shifts are very good and quick, maybe torque converter or exhaust restriction, I'm out of all possible possiblities from my knowledge.

What do you think.... might be the cat?

Maciej
'92 190E 2.6
Old 05-14-2005, 11:26 PM
Almost a Member!

1985 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by MaciekPL87

What do you think.... might be the cat?

Maciej
'92 190E 2.6
Could be the cat. Im not sure how you could check it to see if its clogged other than removing it. Your trans fluid level could be off and cause slippage also.