190E (W201) 1982-1993: 190E 2.3, 190E 2.6, 190E 2.3-16, 190E 2.5-16, 190 D 2.2, 190 D 2.5, 190 D 2.5 TURBO, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution I, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II

2.3 starts but bogging.. no power, very rough idle

Old 03-05-2006, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.3 starts but bogging.. no power, very rough idle

Hi, I'm a newby. Need your help.
My 1986 190e 2.3 gives trouble starting, and when it starts it runs very rough, seems to be "bogging" (starving for air) and has no power, I have to keep feathering the gas pedal to keep it running... it will not idle by itself.

Background.. car was running fine till cruise control unit failed suddenly. Engine lost power and started running very rough. Was tough to nurse the car back home.
At home a constant clicking sound was found coming from the cruise control unit. I tried to remove the cruise control unit to get it replaced. Unfortunately I found the cruise control unit can not be removed from the top… it does not fit between the air intake manifold. Seems you need to remove the starter motor and then remove the cruise control unit from underneath.

Not wanting to look for additional problems… I decided I can live without cruise control. So I put the faulty cruise control unit back, but I did not put back the connecting rod that links the fuel/throttle to the cruise control unit. I also unplugged the electrical connection to the cruise control unit.

I thought with the cruise control unit unplugged and the linking rod disconnected all would now work fine.
NOT SO !!

Still very difficult to start and idles very, very rough. Must keep pumping (feathering) the gas pedal to keep the engine running. And when you give it gas it seems to be “BOGGING”... as though not enough air... and it has no power.

I have replaced the spark plugs (recommended non resistor type), checked the ignition leads, rotor and distributor cap. Overload protection relay fuse is good. Coolant temperature sensor, and Oxygen sensor was replaced a year ago. Now I’m at wits end !

I live in the Toronto area.. some of the shops here seem to want to keep replacing parts till something works!

Question. Is the cruise control unit totally independent? Will the computer system allow the car to run OK when the cruise control is faulty and has been totally isolated/diconnected? May be pure coincidence... but the starting and rough idle started only when the cruise control unit died !?

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
190E2.6
my car had the the problem before, you could do:
1. tune up- change all spark plug
2. the gas intake contral(i dont know what is called) string is lose or rust or dirty, just try clean it.