190E (W201) 1982-1993: 190E 2.3, 190E 2.6, 190E 2.3-16, 190E 2.5-16, 190 D 2.2, 190 D 2.5, 190 D 2.5 TURBO, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution I, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II

Hello all and a few questions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 white Dodge srt-4
Talking Hello all and a few questions?

Hello all! I am new here but not to working on cars. I drive a Dodge srt-4 with some mods... Anyway if you know about them then you know that they come with one hell of a turbo4cyl. I love the motor not the platform that it came in (neon). Long story short the value of the car has gone up so I am going to sell. I plan to swap the srt-4 motor with jeep liberty trans into the 190e body. The car will not be my daily driver...

The plan for the car is:
full cage
2 race seats
gutted
glass hood
glass fenders
glass trunk

The car should end up a dtm replica of my own design.

ok now for some questions?
1. What’s with the hydraulic rear suspension of the 16v's how does it differ from the other models suspension?
2. Are there any changes to the body (fitment,wt.,size,shape) between the years/models (2.3,2.6,D) ?

I live in California and I have found a loophole in getting past the smog. I have found that the diesel version of the car does not require smog? This would seem like the best platform to use if there are no drawbacks compared to the gas version? Any info would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has links to swaps with this model car or any links with info on this car please post!

Thanks for reading and any help!

Also here are some links I have found:
http://www.190revolution.net/prem/itgb/index.htm
http://www.geocities.com/shvoldum/main.html
Old 10-03-2006, 07:06 PM
MTI
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'85 190E 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
Best of luck with the conversion.

Originally Posted by 190ESRT
ok now for some questions?
1. What’s with the hydraulic rear suspension of the 16v's how does it differ from the other models suspension?
The "Self Leveling Suspension" system of the twincam uses a hydaulic shock to raise and lower the rear to maintain the proper ride height. It is powered by a cam driven hydraulic pump attached to the engine. The system is not unique to the car, it was first used in their Estates (wagons) and other vehicles. At additional cost, it was also fitted to the front suspension as well, but 4 wheel SLS was standard on the Evolution and Evolution II cars.

2. Are there any changes to the body (fitment,wt.,size,shape) between the years/models (2.3,2.6,D) ?
The 2.6, because of the length of the engine, has a different radiator support piece, allowing slightly more engine bay space. The pre-85 models had different hoods and firewall cowlings than the 85 and later models.

If you put a gas engine in a diesel, CARB is going to have you meet the emission requirements of the gas version of the car, not the diesel.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 white Dodge srt-4
Thanks for the info. I will need to find out more about the "Self Leveling Suspension" I hope it can be adapted or work without it. I might be able to get some info out of the 190e repair manual. As for the CARB thing it is my understanding that there is no check to be done to the diesel car, so how would I be required to smog the car?
Old 10-03-2006, 10:33 PM
MTI
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'85 190E 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
CA law is pretty straightforward. If it has a gas engine and is of a certain age, it needs to be checked. Further, engine swaps need to be inspected by a "referee inspection." If you want to risk the penalties by pretending it's a diesel, that's up to you, but please to try to feign innocence or ignorance.