190E (W201) 1982-1993: 190E 2.3, 190E 2.6, 190E 2.3-16, 190E 2.5-16, 190 D 2.2, 190 D 2.5, 190 D 2.5 TURBO, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution I, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II

shocks setup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shocks setup

I own an 84 190E 2300 (8V). It's time to change the shocks and I want to upgrade to a more sportier shock setup (bielstein,koni,monroe and etc.) I live in Israel and prices here are very high. Im planning on ordering the shocks from the US to my uncles house in San Diego and he will bring them to me later next month when he visits here.

So far I have heard good things about Koni Bielstein and Eibach. I checked out a couple of sites and they also had Monroe and KYB. I'm looking for shocks which will help my car to corner and handle better. I also dont want the ride to get to rough and harsh (the roads here have holes and bumps) so I dont want "too sporty" shocks that would damage the ride comfort too much.

How are the Monroe's and KYB considered? Anyone try them out? What would be a good shock setup for my car? (it would be great help if someone could give me the catalogue # for the shocks I need)
Anyone know a good and cheap auto parts store in San diego (or an internet site) area where I can order/buy the shocks?

Thanks for all the help in advance.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:22 PM

95 Bronco w/351 V8 & 2003 Mustang MACH 1
Bekkers has a Bilstein sport suspension for the 190E, lower springs and shocks by Bilstein. It is $1550 US though. Don't know how it rides. My 2.3-16 has H&R lower springs and it rides harsh. Bekkers website is www.Bekkers.com
Old 10-28-2006, 11:07 PM

Bilstein HDs shocks/struts would work fine in your case since you are not lowering your car. Koni's might be just as good if not better, but they cost more. The KYB/Monroe are just a waste if you want a sportier ride.

The tirerack.com sells koni and europeanautomotive.com sells the Bilstein HDs at a good price.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by 85Cosworth
Bekkers has a Bilstein sport suspension for the 190E, lower springs and shocks by Bilstein. It is $1550 US though. Don't know how it rides. My 2.3-16 has H&R lower springs and it rides harsh. Bekkers website is www.Bekkers.com

I would check directly with Bilstein about that kit if you're really interested in getting it. Given that Bekkers is on its last legs with the W201 and hasn't been the ideal aftermarket supplier to deal with as of late. You might even be able to score that complete kit through Bilstein cheaper than what Bekkers sells it at. In the past, Bekkers was a good source for aftermarket and performance parts for the W201, that has all changed. You use to be able to get sport cams, sport exhaust, headers, throttle bodies, swaybars, etc. from them. Same with PerformanceProducts (IMPCO).

Since things have changed, your $1.5k+ that you would have spent for just a cam/headers/sport exhaust with minimal gains, has turned into engine swaps. Back then this wasn't cost effective given that most of the engines were coming from vehicle that were maybe 5 years old, now they are aging the prices are showing that. The internet has helped too. With getting ideas, etc.

FYI: Sachs use to offer a suspension kit similar to that of the Bilstein kit, though it has been discontinued.