190E (W201) 1982-1993: 190E 2.3, 190E 2.6, 190E 2.3-16, 190E 2.5-16, 190 D 2.2, 190 D 2.5, 190 D 2.5 TURBO, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution I, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II

'87 190E 2.3 A/C (not the center/side vent?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'87 190E 2.3 A/C (not the center/side vent?)

Hi. I have a question about my a/c... the deal is that it rarely works. I've had the car for about a year now & last year it worked most of the time. (I usually just left it on because the temp in the car would get too warm otherwise) I turned it off when winter came & in recent months turned it back on (i.e. pushed the button in) but it has only actually "come on/worked/blown cold air" maybe once during this time.

An interesting point to note is that one way I'm alerted that the a/c is engaged, is if I'm able to turn on/see the red light on the recirculate button. Not sure how it's connected to the a/c system, but whenever the a/c's blowing cold, the recirculate is operable, when no light, no cold air.

I'm in LA & the temp is already in the 90's, so any ideas that might help me get it running with some consistency would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for any responses.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:45 PM

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
The easiest way to see what's going on would be to pop the hood. Check to see if the compressor is engaging and disengaging when you turn on the A/C. If the compressor engages, place you hand on the large diameter A/C line and see if it feels cold. If it only gets a little cool you are likely low on freon. If the compressor doesn't engage ever, you may be out of freon or something else is preventing the compressor from turning on. You could check the low pressure switch on the rec/dryer by unplugging the pigtail leads and shorting them together to see if the compressor engages. If so, you are out of freon. If not, there is a malfunction with the compressor control. Never leave these leads shorted bypassing the switch. You will likely fry the compressor. Try turning on the defrost. If the compressor engages on defrost, I believe there was a feedback potentiometer that could be out of adjustment. You can't adjust it so don't ask.

This will give us some information to go on to help you out. If none of this makes sense then take the car in to the shop.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
190 E 1993 2.3
Unhappy 190 e 1993 A/C

good advice you gave to the other guys but now if yu could help me pls...hot air coming from defrost area all the time even if i push the floor buttons button seem to be ok but gets really hot air from defrost vent,, freon is empty