190E (W201) 1982-1993: 190E 2.3, 190E 2.6, 190E 2.3-16, 190E 2.5-16, 190 D 2.2, 190 D 2.5, 190 D 2.5 TURBO, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution I, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II

my sunroof wont open!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2007 | 10:39 PM

my sunroof wont open!

im working on fixing up my 84' 190E and one of the things that ive always wanted to fix but never really felt like was the sunroof. It will open about 1/4" and then just makes weird noises. So since it opens alittle, i know it isnt the motor, so perhaps the tracking? Im not sure though, has this happened to anyone else and how do I fix it thanks
Old 05-19-2007 | 05:06 AM

Euro 1985 190e 2.3-16vlv
Originally Posted by 88merkur
im working on fixing up my 84' 190E and one of the things that ive always wanted to fix but never really felt like was the sunroof. It will open about 1/4" and then just makes weird noises. So since it opens a little, i know it isn't the motor, so perhaps the tracking? Im not sure though, has this happened to anyone else and how do I fix it thanks
Can you manually open it via the knob in the trunk on the left side?

There are a few things that can go wrong, and the track usually isn't your main concern. Seeing as its metal and clips just hold in it.

What your going to need to do is take it apart and look at it. But that could prove to be difficult because your roof wont open all the way.

As stated before try opening the roof via the nut in the trunk. If you can get the hood open 100% then great. You need to remove the headliner first.

With the sunroof open about an 1nch or so. Pull the headliner vertically down towards the floor gently. There are four clips along the top on the front, these just pop in and out. With those clips detached, roll your roof all the way open, reach in pull the HEADLINER to "closed" position and pop it out of the roof. Close your sun roof completely and look for the 4 8mm screws (two on each side) this will allow you to remove the actual metal sunroof skin.

Once all 4 bolts are out (it is apparent which bolts they are as they are the only ones that connect to the sunroof) Reach in and tilt the back end of your sun roof up and pull it back and out. Put it aside safely.

Look inside and there you will see your track rods on each side. I just did a sunroof fix on a friends car and both his slides were broken causing uneven slide so the roof wont open. Now look at it closely. You will see how it works and see how it comes undone. If you get this far and get confused, i will gladly post up pictures for you. Just PM me. At this point i am going to stop typing because my hands hurt. lol