190E (W201) 1982-1993: 190E 2.3, 190E 2.6, 190E 2.3-16, 190E 2.5-16, 190 D 2.2, 190 D 2.5, 190 D 2.5 TURBO, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution I, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II

Need help finding out vacuum line connection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 190 E 2.3
Need help finding out vacuum line connection

Sorry to keep posting questions. I got my aux fans working.

I have a new issue- I have vacuum line that is not connected to anything on the other end. The car runs a little rough sometimes, but shifts hard until it's warmed up. The car is a 1993 190E 2.6 Sportline.

The vacuum line connects directly to the rear part of the intake manifold with a rubber connecor 90 degree connector. The other end is just dangling along side the bell housing. The color of the plastic portion of the vacuum line is white or a very light blue. It is about 12" long.

Can someone tell me where specifically its suppose to connect (i.e., what component and where it's located)? I was under my car last night ands I couldn't see a rubber connector void of it's plastic vacuum line.

I have the vacuum diagram under the car, but it is faded and can barely be read, even with a magnifying glass.

I would grealty appreciate your help.

Tony

Last edited by metrikos; 09-12-2007 at 06:49 AM. Reason: fogort car model
Old 09-13-2007, 10:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
'93 190E 2.3, '01 SLK230, '71 Corvette LS5 Roadster
Originally Posted by metrikos
Sorry to keep posting questions. I got my aux fans working.

I have a new issue- I have vacuum line that is not connected to anything on the other end. The car runs a little rough sometimes, but shifts hard until it's warmed up. The car is a 1993 190E 2.6 Sportline.

The vacuum line connects directly to the rear part of the intake manifold with a rubber connecor 90 degree connector. The other end is just dangling along side the bell housing. The color of the plastic portion of the vacuum line is white or a very light blue. It is about 12" long.

Can someone tell me where specifically its suppose to connect (i.e., what component and where it's located)? I was under my car last night ands I couldn't see a rubber connector void of it's plastic vacuum line.

I have the vacuum diagram under the car, but it is faded and can barely be read, even with a magnifying glass.

I would grealty appreciate your help.

Tony
If your car is an automatic, make sure the vacuum hose at the vacuum modulator (drivers side of transmission) is connected at the intake manifold.
You should see a rubber vacuum hose at the VM, then a long plastic hose going up the rear of engine to a short rubber vacuum hose connected to the intake.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:00 PM

1986 190 E 2.3
SLK230Red- You are on to something

I think you might be saving me again. It's an automatic. I am not sure what the modulator looks like, but I don't see any kind of hose coming out by the driver's side of the transmission. That has to be where this hose connects. I will spend a little more time looking for the modulator and a fitting where the vacuum hose would fit. The hose from the intake manifold is a 90 degree rubber hose with the plastic hose fitting into it. It does go down the left side of the engine, but isn't connected to anything. I temporarily plugged it and it is idling very nicely.

Incidentally, the aux fans are working great- Thank you!

Metrikos
Old 09-13-2007, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by metrikos
I think you might be saving me again. It's an automatic. I am not sure what the modulator looks like, but I don't see any kind of hose coming out by the driver's side of the transmission. That has to be where this hose connects. I will spend a little more time looking for the modulator and a fitting where the vacuum hose would fit. The hose from the intake manifold is a 90 degree rubber hose with the plastic hose fitting into it. It does go down the left side of the engine, but isn't connected to anything. I temporarily plugged it and it is idling very nicely.

Incidentally, the aux fans are working great- Thank you!

Metrikos

The vacuum modulator is in between the transmission tunnel and the drivers side of the tranny. Hard to see really, but it is normally white with a nipple angled at 90 degrees toward the front of the car. Then it would have a rubber connector to connect to the vacuum line. If you have bigger hands it is a tight fit but can be still gotten to. If you can not quite get it you can lower the tranny somewhat by unbolting the tranny mount and letting the tranny come down some, do this with a jack of course. Then you can access it hair easier.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
'93 190E 2.3, '01 SLK230, '71 Corvette LS5 Roadster
If you jack up the driver's side high enough, you can see it with a flashlight. If you need to replace it, you have to lower the exhaust system and transmission cross member to get enough clearance to remove it. You should also replace the shifter bushings at the same time since it requires the same procedure.

It should look something like this, except it should have a black rubber cap over the adjustment tool.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:56 AM

1986 190 E 2.3
Thanks mctwin2K and slk230 red

I finally was able to get the vacuum line hooked up. Not easy at all. But it;s done and the tranny shifts much smoother at the lower speeds.

Thank you!!

Metrikos