190E (W201) 1982-1993: 190E 2.3, 190E 2.6, 190E 2.3-16, 190E 2.5-16, 190 D 2.2, 190 D 2.5, 190 D 2.5 TURBO, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution I, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II

Battery, Alt, Belt tension or Volt Reg

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1984 Mercedes 190E 2.3L
Battery, Alt, Belt tension or Volt Reg

Hi Guys!

Well... I'm new MB owner. I have to tell you, I LOVE THIS CAR! I bought a 1984 MB 190E 2.3L, it's Gold (I think MB called it Silver) with tan leather. She's in super shape and only has 104,000 miles on her.

I have some basic stuff to do on her to really get her up to spec but nothing too serious.

I'm having a problem with the power supply. I had a problem with the aux fan (I think its the sensor) and put a 10A fuse (I jumped it) at the connector so the fan runs full time. The car was overheating in traffic and this obviously solved the problem until I can get a new sensor. Not long after doing this, and only at night (with my lights on), the battery drains down to nothin.

I put a new fully charged battery in, started the car and pulled off the negative to see if the car still ran (alt test) and it ran fine. Assuming it was the battery, I drove for about 5-7 days and it did it again!! Dead battery...

I have a replacement alt but not a Volt Reg. Anyone ever seen this problem b4?

Still havent got the new sensor for the fan in yet, have the part but haven't had time.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:32 PM
Almost a Member!

1991 190E
Congrats and welcome

I don't have an answer for you as such, other than to say that in my car, the previous owner installed an override switch for the aux. fan, probably due to a problem similar to yours. In any case, as it is now winter and bellow zero most of the time, I do not use the fan. However, when I did switched it on just to see how and if it works, the immediate drain of power was obvious! I don't really know exactly how much the fan sucks, but it must be lots of juice. Having it running all the time must not be your problem, but it will not help either.

Sorry I could not be of better help.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:45 PM

1984 Mercedes 190E 2.3L
Hmmm that's interesting.

I wonder why he installed a manual switch? The sensor is supposed to kick in and turn the fan on at around 90c then off at whatever... Maybe he couldn't find the sensor or something...

What you said actually was helpful. I'm thinking the fan being on all the time was too much for the alternator to re-supply enough current to the battery? Anyway, I unplugged the fan, came to work and will drive it home later and check everything. I hope I find the problem AND I hope it's not the volt reg, I don't have one! I have another alt and the sensor for the fan though
Old 12-07-2007, 10:06 PM

1989 190E 3.0L 5speed
I also used switches for my aux. fans when they stopped working automatically. I don't know if it was necessary to do this but it was kind of a fun project and besides, they look pretty cool down below the light dial, not to mention they only come on when you want them to.