190E (W201) 1982-1993: 190E 2.3, 190E 2.6, 190E 2.3-16, 190E 2.5-16, 190 D 2.2, 190 D 2.5, 190 D 2.5 TURBO, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution I, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II

16v vibrations - at idle and under power

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.3-16
16v vibrations - at idle and under power

(orginally posted on 190rev, multiple posts in one)

Hi all,

I'm looking to tackle the final issues that will make this car drivable. The first one is the motor at idle - it vibrates quite a lot. It will shake the car sometimes, and I can always feel it through my seat. I have installed new motor mounts, trans mount, spark plugs, electrical cap/rotor and I just finished giving it a valve adjustment. While it is running MUCH better now, the vibrations persist (although less than before). I was thinking about running the injectors and fuel distributer through an ultrasonic cleaning. I have a fuel filter waiting to go in, fuel pump is of unknown vintage. Engine revs smooth to redline and has decent power, sounds good. It does have hard-starting issues with cold, i'll go through 3-4 cranks before it wheezes into life. When hot, it takes 1-2 and shoots up to 1500-1700 before settiling at 1k idle.

The second issue is while the car is moving. If I even breathe on the gas pedal, the rear end vibrates intensely. I can feel it in the steering wheel, seat and chassis and i can hear the trunk rattling about. I've had it on a lift, the rear suspension components appear to be good. All are tight and the rubber looks in good shape. I have 4 subframe mounts waiting to go in this weekend. The driveshaft does not have excess play and the CSB looks good. When i'm off the throttle the car is smooth as glass.

My mechanic/neighbor/buddy just went for a ride with me and suggested the rear wheel bearing/rear hubs. Assume wheels/tires are balanced.

edit: also, the throttle pedal loves to stick in the "up" position, making taking off from a light an interesting spectacle - where should I lube to get rid of that?

Any help is appreciated. Car is damn near undriveable on the highway right now!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

spent the evening with the car. rotated the wheels and, while i was at it, cleaned about 15 years worth of dirt and grime off the underside of the car. Should call the car 190E - Superleggera now. .

Wheel bearings are fine, absolutely no play at all. I'm down to the subframe mounts, u-joint or half-shafts. The subframe bushes are completely trashed, i can push the rubber in with my finger and they're obviously ripped. While a problem, i'm not sure it's the ultimate cause of my problem.

Are there typically u-joint or halfshaft issues with these cars around 155k? The CV boots are not leaking or torn, so far as I can tell. No diff whine.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:00 PM

Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-16
Do you have fresh fuel in the vehicle at the moment? If the fuel is old, that may be the cause for the vibrations, as it happened to my 190E. Also note that the engine is a performance-tuned engine, so it is bound to run more aggressively than a standard passenger car engine.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:14 PM

2.3-16
Gas is fresh Shell 93 and has a bottle of techron running through it (I bought the car about a month ago and the PO had be running 87 when "around town" so I figured it could use it...)

I'm leaning towards clogged injectors/fuel dist for the idle and starting problem, as the plugs indicated the motor was running very lean last time I pulled them. I do believe the car sat for a time at some point, so there might be gunk stuck in there. I know the filter was changed about 3 years ago.

More worrying is the vibration problem while in motion. CSB looks OK, but i'm starting to worry about it...
Old 10-12-2011, 12:29 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
85 911 Targa
May need to change the Motor Mounts, I did and it made a significant difference.

Find some BG44K, it is Techron on steriods, caveat, it is very strong stuff if your Fuel Pressure Regulator is OEM, you may want to swap that after BG44K use.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:38 AM

2.3-16
Draco,

This problem was actually a combination of low compression in the motor, worn out u-joints, center support and half shafts.