190E (W201) 1982-1993: 190E 2.3, 190E 2.6, 190E 2.3-16, 190E 2.5-16, 190 D 2.2, 190 D 2.5, 190 D 2.5 TURBO, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution I, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II

Identification assitance needed.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 C280 Sport
Identification assitance needed.

Hi folks, I lost my Mercedes virginity a couple months ago and I'm already up to 3. All 190's, all 2.6's.

I bought a 1993 that a lady had plowed under a landscaping truck. She kept driving it, but a little while later she said it died and wouldn't run anymore. I bought it to use for parts for my other one, a 1991. I asked her about the symptoms it had when it died and from what she was telling me I was thinking alternator. It has 220K miles on it.

I trailered it home, put a battery in it and it started right up. I drove it up and down the street and it runs like a clock (Swiss that is), Engine literally purred and it's shifts made me think of warm butter. All it really needs is a hood, grill, window (they locked the keys in the car and weren't the sharpest tools in the shed) and of course an alternator and battery. There's a couple at the salvage yard and I could have it back in action everything and a rattle can matched hood for about $300-$400.

I wouldn't make any money off it and my inclination is to continue stripping it, but my real dilemma is along the lines of it's possible rarity.

It has a a Limited Edition badge on the center console, but from what I've read about LE's they were only green or black. They had sportier seats and this one doesn't They had outstripping and so does this one. It has the chrome rims and it also has these peculiar fake "vents" on both front fenders. Not like an '87 Turbo, I know what those look like.

So I'm gonna post a few pics and see if anyone here can tell me anything about it. If you have any info on what it might or might not be, lemme know. Rims are dirty in the pics, but they shine with just a quick wipe.

Thanks.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:47 PM

2004 CLK55 AMG, 1992 190 E 2.6
The side vents are Auto Zone specials.

http://www.autozone.com/trim-dress-u...ent/201841_0_0

And the limited edition badge wasn't made in Bremen, Germany. More likely China.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/35680158?...&wl13=&veh=sem
Old 03-28-2017, 04:16 AM

2000 C280 Sport
Wow. I can't believe you were able to track down the actual part. I was thinking this would be the case with this stuff, but something inside me was just having a hard time accepting that someone would actually put something this lame on any car, much less a Mercedes. All I can say is they did a good job getting them straight and symmetrical to each other. And the pin-striping is well done too, straight and even on both sides. But taking the time to actually look closely and scraping off the moss on the edges and now I can see the foam underneath.

Well, I have a feeling this poor thing is gonna end up going to the great melting pot in the sky. I don't think I could even get a grand for it if I put another hood and grill on it. There's a ton of them for sale on CL lately and even one with only 125K on the odo and a nice clean interior sat for more than a month and they're only asking $1750.

But I did just get an ad from Pick n Pull for 50% off this weekend, so we'll see.

Thanks for the reply.