190E (W201) 1982-1993: 190E 2.3, 190E 2.6, 190E 2.3-16, 190E 2.5-16, 190 D 2.2, 190 D 2.5, 190 D 2.5 TURBO, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution I, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II

Some specs on the 190E/190D?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes 190E, Mercedes CLA 250, 1970 Dodge Dart 451
Some specs on the 190E/190D?

I have been an owner of a 190E sportline and a non-running 190D that has had some sort of mechanical failure, engine wise, and I went ahead and gutted it. I love to mod things, I have built my own 1970 Dodge A-body with a modified Mopar 400 to 451 cubic inches running about 590WHP and with a more aggressive tune it pumps out a very street-able 630WHP. I spent about 30 grand on that car and it is a track monster with a completely revamped suspension, brakes and driveline. Which was a lot for a 24 year old fresh out of college, thank God I took on summer jobs and work-study so I have virtually no student debt.

I am taking the 190D and making a Frankenstein of a car that I know will most likely **** purists off and confuse most Mercedes owners. Why the 190D? Well it was running and registered at the beginning of the year and in the state I live in Diesel cars do not go under emissions or inspections past the year 1997 meaning I can legally work around emissions control to have a hoot of a car and, well, since this car was recently registered as a diesel car I simply have to continue to mark it as such for the foreseeable future.

I am thinking of dropping a Nissan engine (RB25DET) into the 190D with some modification I know this can work. I've seen one at a local car show that uses a RB20DET and has the AMG kit installed, looked really well but I never got a chance to speak with the owner. I've done a decent bit of research and so I know the engine/trans combo will work with some linkage mods, custom engine mounts, trans tunnel work and trans mounts. I have a guy willing to custom build me a carbon driveshaft rod to connect the Nissan 5-speed to whatever rear end I end up going with. I have been looking at forum after forum but I cannot for the life of me figure out the stock HP limit in the 2.6 190E's differential or the 2.2 190D. If need be I can swap in a 560SEC that I have found rebuilt by a local Mercedes shop for about $400.

The RB will be mostly stock except for a custom ECU tune, MAF sensor, slightly larger turbo, larger injectors and a metal head gaskets which should run me close to ~315 brake horsepower and ~300 ft Lbs of torque. I could go a lot more wild with the engine itself but I figure since this is already an increase of almost 120 HP as is I will see how that goes. This probably will finish in a year or so, no rush, as I wait for Germany to send out the EVO 2 kit and for my body shop to fit me in schedule wise. The RB is sitting in the corner of my workshop and was originally going into an S15 but the car was stolen last year and never recovered so I think this is the route I am going.

Biggest questions -

I am thinking about buying a burnt up 560SE from craigslist for 500 dollars and taking the brakes components and the Differential from that as well as the brake booster and some other components. The engine is seized and that's why it is being sold cheaply. I think with some slight modifications these brakes should hold out well, if not then do you have a suggestion otherwise?

For sway bars I am perplexed, I have heard of beefier 300E units being used, bushings and all, but I cannot find a guide or how to.

Springs will probably be Ground Control, I have also looked into Yellow Speed but I am not sure yet.

I am pretty much going to replace a lot of the worn out bushings and such under the car.

I am thinking of using a ebay special for the tubing needed for the radiator and intercooler.

Anyway, that wraps up my plans and I hope that some of you can appreciate that this car has a very beautiful lines, it's sporty yet refined. I think this is why a lot of the Japanese and Tuner scene love them. Shame about the aftermarket support though, if I had 20K to spend on just 2.3-16V I would as Bekkers.com has a lot of performance stuff for them but the stroker kit alone almost cost as much as the entire RB. The Turbo kit for a small T3 was around 6,000 dollars and way out of my budget, though I could probably build one for much cheaper.

Thank you.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1991 Mercedes 190E 2.6
Looks like you'll be busy for awhile.

Do what you enjoy and love doing and not worry about what others think. We work on, tune, and fix our cars so we're enthusiast. Purist are
reserved to those who stopped doing... : )

I will be replacing my stock brake system with a 4-pot calipers from an E420. The rotors will be much taller and provides more surface
area for friction. I think the 560SE brake system will be perfect for you specially when you're adding HP and playing in the track. And, if I'm
not mistaken, you could be looking at a 320mm for a rotor, compare to a stock 262mm on w201.

I've already replaced my stock ignition system with MSD Streetfire ignition and MSD Blaster coil and Bosch iridium plugs(.055 gap). Little mods
but fun to do.

I can't offer any help or ideas to your project but I think you already know exactly what you want to do. : )

Post some pictures too so we can see your progress.