190E (W201) 1982-1993: 190E 2.3, 190E 2.6, 190E 2.3-16, 190E 2.5-16, 190 D 2.2, 190 D 2.5, 190 D 2.5 TURBO, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution I, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II

Need help buying a 190E and changing it! Please help and give your input! :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help buying a 190E and changing it! Please help and give your input! :)

Need help buying a 190E and changing it! Please help and give your input!

Hi Everybody!

I'm going to be purchasing a 190E (year doesn't matter) and plan on changing the
lights to white Euro lights, rims, spoiler, and get it painted etc. Hopefully,
the one i do find has a black interior.

Something similar to what I'm going to do is located at:

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member...379_4_full.jpg

actually that is exactly what I'm planning on doing!

my plan right now is to buy a regular 190e. something like this:

http://members.tripod.com/~MBNZ190E/190Ered.jpg

and then i plan changing everything to the first photo link i have.

but i have some questions and concerns:

1. if i buy a 190e (not sport line edition) can i get a AMG kit to make the car
look the way i want to? if so, any company names that sell these kits? also
is it easy to change?

my concern is that in the end i don't want the car to look shi*** b/c it wasn't a sport line.

i'm looking to save money by buying a regular 190e and then changing everything from there

2. where is a good place to get some cheap (but same looking) rims?

3. the car that i want to build will look like a sport line edition. what is the major differences
between sport line and a regular 2.3 or 3.0 liter car? is it just the body and engine?

4. is it easy to lower a car with a lowering kit? where can i pick these up?

4. overall, do you think that my plan is possible? i don't mind putting in the effort
to change the car. i know that mercedes last a lifetime!

thanks for all your input!
Old 07-23-2004, 06:34 PM
Almost a Member!

Same here! I'm considering getting a W201 in the near future and turn it into a project car with the Evo bodykit and other goodies, can you experts please advise if there is any year that I should avoid, or if there's any common issues that I should look into when I check out these cars? Or... do you come across any rare W201 with the Evo bodykit that is currently for sale?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Old 07-23-2004, 06:55 PM
MTI
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'85 190E 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
Good to see new W201 fans!

Where to start . . .

The Sportline (92-93) models only differ from the other models by the following:
Very slight lowering via springs, approximately 1/2 inch, similar to the drop in the 2.3-16; close ratio steering box; sport steering wheel; sport seating; carbon fiber dash accents; sportline badges. There are no performance modifications to the engine or drivetrain.

AMG bodkits are no longer available from AMG, but there are 1) fiberglass replicas (Erebuni, NOPI, JDMAero) and a dwindling supply of "new old stock" much of which is overseas in Japan and Germany. Fiberglass is rigid, tends to crack and shatter on impact, compared to the original pieces which were flexible polyurethane. Full bodykits like the Evolutions require expert installation since there will be metal bodywork cutting involved, it's not for the weak of heart or shallow of wallet. On most Evo kits, you'll be replacing your bumper with a fiberglass shell, so watch what you hit. By contrast, the 16 valve or the real AMG bodykits are literally bolt on.

Be advised that when you do an extreme modification, like an Evo body kit to a W201, you'll never get your investment back from it in resale just from the kit alone. Financially, it's a losing proposition, so you better make your peace with that before jumping in.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:46 PM

Damn! i had a feeling that i wouldn't be able to get an actual AMG kit.

I guess I'll just have to find an actual sport line edition car and then work on it.

any tips on the rims and getting a paint job?

thanks!
Old 07-23-2004, 10:07 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks so much for the intensive analyze. Big thumbs up for you MTI

Sounds like a better bet is to look for a W201 with the EVO kit already installed... please advise if you come across any rare beauties of this sort for sale.

FYI, I've been searching around and seems like a EVO kit cost around $1500 - $2000 (which comes with only half front fender, not the complete bolt on ones), and you are right, I probably overlook the complexity to install a kit like that, probably takes another $2000 - $5000 to install / repaint...

By the way, it is so good to see the stick shift W201 comes with handbrake. I checked out the W203 and found their stick shift cars comes with footbrake like the automatic ones, which is pretty bad. Hope they will address this issue and put the real 'handbrake' back to the proper location. Just wondering, how does the clutch/shift feels on the W201 manuals?

Originally Posted by MTI
Good to see new W201 fans!

Where to start . . .

The Sportline (92-93) models only differ from the other models by the following:
Very slight lowering via springs, approximately 1/2 inch, similar to the drop in the 2.3-16; close ratio steering box; sport steering wheel; sport seating; carbon fiber dash accents; sportline badges. There are no performance modifications to the engine or drivetrain.

AMG bodkits are no longer available from AMG, but there are 1) fiberglass replicas (Erebuni, NOPI, JDMAero) and a dwindling supply of "new old stock" much of which is overseas in Japan and Germany. Fiberglass is rigid, tends to crack and shatter on impact, compared to the original pieces which were flexible polyurethane. Full bodykits like the Evolutions require expert installation since there will be metal bodywork cutting involved, it's not for the weak of heart or shallow of wallet. On most Evo kits, you'll be replacing your bumper with a fiberglass shell, so watch what you hit. By contrast, the 16 valve or the real AMG bodykits are literally bolt on.

Be advised that when you do an extreme modification, like an Evo body kit to a W201, you'll never get your investment back from it in resale just from the kit alone. Financially, it's a losing proposition, so you better make your peace with that before jumping in.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:27 PM
MTI
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'85 190E 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
To see the "heartbreak" of installing an Evo II Kit, in this case an Erebuni, check out www.dje2.com and yes, it's for sale.