SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Ipod Hook up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 2003 Designo (sold), SL500 2004, Nissan GT350
Ipod Hook up

I have a 2003 SL 500, and I am wondering where the Ipod hook up is. Some have said it is in the glove box, but I cannot locate it. Does the 2003 SL even have a Ipod jack?
Old 01-04-2008, 12:08 AM

Open the glove box, the inside left side there is a circle with a jack. Its a head phone jack, you need to buy the cable which hooks into the ipod and the jack. The ends are the same and they sell the cables at Radioshack or best buy. Once plugged in, you go to SVC, and then AUX. Now you can listen to your iPod or PSP or whatever that way.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
Originally Posted by BrabusTrojanSL
Open the glove box, the inside left side there is a circle with a jack. Its a head phone jack, you need to buy the cable which hooks into the ipod and the jack. The ends are the same and they sell the cables at Radioshack or best buy. Once plugged in, you go to SVC, and then AUX. Now you can listen to your iPod or PSP or whatever that way.
make sure you by a stereo cable, not mono.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:39 PM

'04 SL500
Here's the setup I use in my '04 SL with the iPod touch.

Get the following from Amazon.com:
  • Belkin F8V7058-APB Auto Kit for Black iPod with Dock Connector $24.99
  • Belkin F8E467-BLK TuneDok for iPods (Black) $13.99
You will also need an audio cable from Radio Shack (3.5mm stereo, plug to plug.)

This mounts the iPod in the passenger side, center cup holder. It's very secure. The special Belkin adapter above has a cigarette lighter for power but also an audio jack with internal audio amplifier. There is a volume control so you can match the iPod audio to your radio level. You connect the audio jack to the AUX input in your glove box (sorry, '05 and later don't have this.)

For the iPod touch, set the auto-lock timeout to 1 minute. When playing with the car on, the iPod screen will stay on indefinately and dim after one minute. When you turn the car off, the iPod will automatically stop playing and turn off after 1 minute. You have to manually start the iPod playing the next time you restart the car (but the iPod will turn on automatically when you start up.)

The Belkin adapter keeps the iPod charged so it's always ready to go. Just slide it out of the holder.

The sound quality is excellent and the volume control allows you to get more than enough level.

The only pain is the car resets the AUX input EQ setting when you turn the car off for some bizarre reason.

This probably will work with other iPods, but I haven't tried it.
Attached Thumbnails Ipod Hook up-sl1.jpg  
Old 01-05-2008, 12:07 AM

Thanks for the input. I shall be listening to my IPOD soon
Old 01-05-2008, 02:47 AM

07' SL550
Anyone know if theres an ipod hookup on 07 SL550?
Old 01-05-2008, 09:46 AM

E500(Sold), SL500(Sold), C350(Sold), ML350, SL65
Originally Posted by SLilish

You will also need an audio cable from Radio Shack (3.5mm stereo, plug to plug.)

This mounts the iPod in the passenger side, center cup holder. It's very secure. The special Belkin adapter above has a cigarette lighter for power but also an audio jack with internal audio amplifier. There is a volume control so you can match the iPod audio to your radio level. You connect the audio jack to the AUX input in your glove box (sorry, '05 and later don't have this.)

For the iPod touch, set the auto-lock timeout to 1 minute. When playing with the car on, the iPod screen will stay on indefinately and dim after one minute. When you turn the car off, the iPod will automatically stop playing and turn off after 1 minute. You have to manually start the iPod playing the next time you restart the car (but the iPod will turn on automatically when you start up.)

The Belkin adapter keeps the iPod charged so it's always ready to go. Just slide it out of the holder.

The sound quality is excellent and the volume control allows you to get more than enough level.

The only pain is the car resets the AUX input EQ setting when you turn the car off for some bizarre reason.

Hey thx for the info I guess that my next project.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by MikeSL5
Anyone know if theres an ipod hookup on 07 SL550?
Try looking in the glove box on the left side
Old 01-06-2008, 03:28 PM

'08 SL55
Originally Posted by lovemysl
Try looking in the glove box on the left side
Not there in my '08 SL55
Old 01-06-2008, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by teeth
Not there in my '08 SL55
Hmmmmm. Beats me. Did MB forget to add a jack?
Old 01-06-2008, 07:10 PM

Hmmmmm. Beats me. Did MB forget to add a jack?
It was eliminated when the DVD COMAND came out in the '05 MY. Only the '03 and '04 SLs have it.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:22 PM

Is it possible to have a jack hard wired into Comand?
Old 01-07-2008, 11:25 AM

Is it possible to have a jack hard wired into Comand?
My understanding is that it is not possible. I went through this myself when I got my '05...I expected to find the jack in the glove compartment like it was in the '04, but it was not there. I eventually burned DVDs with my songs and play them in the front slot. It is not the same as having an iPod hook up, but it does hold alot of songs. You can't do this in the '03 or '04.

This has been discussed before. You should do a search for this topic in the Audio & Electronics Forum. Maybe some clever person has figured out a way to do it.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by JackStraw
My understanding is that it is not possible. I went through this myself when I got my '05...I expected to find the jack in the glove compartment like it was in the '04, but it was not there. I eventually burned DVDs with my songs and play them in the front slot. It is not the same as having an iPod hook up, but it does hold alot of songs. You can't do this in the '03 or '04.

This has been discussed before. You should do a search for this topic in the Audio & Electronics Forum. Maybe some clever person has figured out a way to do it.
I am fortunate to have a 2003 SL, I have the IPOD jack. I was asking fo the fella who has no IPOD jack.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:24 PM

I am fortunate to have a 2003 SL, I have the IPOD jack. I was asking fo the fella who has no IPOD jack.
Then please disregard.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:08 PM

any solution for 05+ SL? I have 05 SL with DVD system and does not have the cable connector. Is there a factory kit?
Old 07-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Almost a Member!

SL 500
Originally Posted by david7979
any solution for 05+ SL? I have 05 SL with DVD system and does not have the cable connector. Is there a factory kit?
David
Did you ever get an answer to this ? -- I'm in the same boat as you
Old 08-13-2008, 12:33 AM

-
Question

Just curious, how did you get it to secure in the cup holder? Was it F8E467-BLK that allowed you to?
Old 08-13-2008, 03:37 AM

07 ML63 Silver Dead at 85k, 14 RS5, 05 SL600
I'm pretty sure there is no easy solution for an 05. I think for 08 you can get a factory I-pod kit installed allowing steering wheel controls. Maybe even 07?
There are people out there who will take your command out and put in a jack or make it work for DVD's when you are driving but the pricing is obcene. So MP3 cd's or FM i-pod connectors may be the only easy ways to go.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:19 PM

SL 500
SLilish,

Thank you so much for the prod spec and details.. I am getting this exact setup.. Looks great.. cheers man..

amer

Old 08-24-2008, 03:41 AM

Or you can bypass the ugly cluttered space and just put the ipod in the cupholder. With the silicone ipod cover in the cup holder, it stays in since the bottom silicone of the ipod cover and the silicone of the silver part of the cup holder have enough friction to hold.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:48 AM

'08 SL55
Originally Posted by kokanee
I'm pretty sure there is no easy solution for an 05. I think for 08 you can get a factory I-pod kit installed allowing steering wheel controls. Maybe even 07?
There are people out there who will take your command out and put in a jack or make it work for DVD's when you are driving but the pricing is obcene. So MP3 cd's or FM i-pod connectors may be the only easy ways to go.
No this kit does not exist for '08. I tried.