Sponsored by:

Red flag or not, CBB on a used E63 wagon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Today, 10:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 G63
Red flag or not, CBB on a used E63 wagon

I am curious about everyone's opinion regarding purchasing a used E63 wagon with 30K miles that has carbon ceramic brakes. I have read articles referencing that CCB seriously hurts a car's value:
https://www.autotrader.com/car-shopp...-plague-267318

Would CBB be a deal breaker for those who would purchase a used car? Assuming no tracked usage and standard daily driving, the rotors should last around 100K, correct?

Thank all.
Old Today, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 692 Likes on 527 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
well, for normal street uses, CCB may be viewed as overkilled but they do look nice.

I can only see the replacement of these CCB may hurt the resale value due to their replacement costs. As long you have the budget and factored into the future replacement for them, then it should be no issue of owning one with CCB.

Before you buy, you should have the CCB inspected carefully to see any excessive wear present on them and go from there. Technically, the rotors should last a long time, perhaps, twice as long as the regular steel rotors.
Old Today, 10:55 AM

2020 G63
Originally Posted by bobblehead
Well, for normal street uses, CCB may be viewed as overkill, but they do look nice.

I can only see the replacement of these CCB may hurt the resale value due to their replacement costs. As long you have the budget and factored into the future replacement for them, then there should be no issue of owning one with CCB.

Before you buy, you should have the CCB inspected carefully to see any excessive wear present on them and go from there. Technically, the rotors should last a long time, perhaps, twice as long as the regular steel rotors.
I would probably own the car until it has around 80,0000 to 90,000 miles. That is my concern; somebody would say that because they need to be replaced, you need to discount the car by 10–15,000 dollars. You certainly don’t get that discount when the vehicle only has 30,000 miles.
Old Today, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,157 Likes on 607 Posts
2023 E63S Wagon
The CCB last a looooooooooong time when not driven hard. I would not be scared. Even later selling at 80,000, IMHO CCB will command a premium, not be a negative.
On my 212 I bought a used sent of CCB rotors that had 50k on them, used them on my car for another bunch of miles, then took them off and sold them to another person who is still going strong. They are getting passed around car to car no problem.

Track days and crazy high speed braking different story. But it's "easy" to tell if they are worn or not. Get pictures of these wear circles up close. Have a look at these dots in this post here - those rotors had about 50,000mi on them at that time:
https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...t-numbers.html

Then make sure no chips or scratches

HAVE FUN! CCB are so worth it. Bite is amazing, clean wheels that look like jewelry a big plus. Resale value if you don't wreck the rotors will be higher IMHO as long as your wear dots look OK and there are no chips.

Last edited by I.T. Guy; Today at 12:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bobblehead (Today)
Old Today, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,157 Likes on 607 Posts
2023 E63S Wagon
PLUS
Let's say you doo pooch the rotors. Just buy these irons for $1,900, they are made to convert the CCB to iron:
https://girodisc.com/mercedes-402mm-...or-conversion/

You are still winning having had CCB until 80-90k
OldManAndHisCar (Today)
Old Today, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 393 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
Originally Posted by I.T. Guy
The CCB last a looooooooooong time when not driven hard. I would not be scared. Even later selling at 80,000, IMHO CCB will command a premium, not be a negative.
On my 212 I bought a used sent of CCB rotors that had 50k on them, used them on my car for another bunch of miles, then took them off and sold them to another person who is still going strong. They are getting passed around car to car no problem.

Track days and crazy high speed braking different story. But it's "easy" to tell if they are worn or not. Get pictures of these wear circles up close. Have a look at these dots in this post here - those rotors had about 50,000mi on them at that time:
https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...t-numbers.html

Then make sure no chips or scratches

HAVE FUN! CCB are so worth it. Bite is amazing, clean wheels that look like jewelry a big plus. Resale value if you don't wreck the rotors will be higher IMHO as long as your wear dots look OK and there are no chips.
If you check KBB, you will discover that there is NO extra value for a car that has CCBs vs one that does not. The CCB value for an owner is primarily cosmetic unless you are tracking the vehicle. Additionally, there are many things that can happen to these brakes from driving in the winter from road debris (sand, gravel) that will totally mess up the rotors. YMMV
Old Today, 12:45 PM

Received 83 Likes on 39 Posts
2016 E63 Selenite Wagon (670hp/830tq on E30); 2018 E63 Selenite Wagon (700hp/650tq on 93)
Me personally...I would rather have a car without CCB than with, but I'm not sure I'd pass up a car I liked because it did have CCB. As noted above, even if CCB craps out early, you have options to save money. I get past the dust issue by using a carbon ceramic pads that work as good or better than stock pads so the need for CCB to control dust isn't an issue for me.

I do think your non hard core enthusiasts will have more concerns around CCB than those using this forum.
Old Today, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
I just happen to be dealing with baked-on brake dust this morning. What a difference the right chemicals make!

I no longer feel the need for CCB. It's really not that big of a deal.
HBerman (Today)
Old Today, 05:20 PM

Received 99 Likes on 49 Posts
2018 AMG E63s Ed1
about to turn 140,000 miles on my 18 E63s. Still on OEM CCBs. No issues with them.

the trick, No racing them.

Also of note. I drive this car year round to include winter. the failures that have happened have been manufacturing defects (delamination of the hard coating) and not FOD (foreign Object Damage). I have washed the car more times than i care to recall.. also not an issue (essentially disproving all the wives tales out there).
Old Today, 05:25 PM

Received 186 Likes on 138 Posts
W212 E63S Wagon - GSL580 - E63 - E350 - C300
Originally Posted by I.T. Guy
PLUS
Let's say you doo pooch the rotors. Just buy these irons for $1,900, they are made to convert the CCB to iron:
https://girodisc.com/mercedes-402mm-...or-conversion/

You are still winning having had CCB until 80-90k

My mechanic does this ALL THE TIME....cars have ceramic, he puts on iron...MB, BMW, Porsche and on and on and on...
Old Today, 06:03 PM

Received 293 Likes on 143 Posts
E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by figuwx
about to turn 140,000 miles on my 18 E63s. Still on OEM CCBs. No issues with them.
the trick, No racing them.
Here is exhibit A on why CCBs are amazing for a daily driver. I have CCBs and am a huge proponent of these brakes now that I have lived with them. But, your question is not about whether you should add them to your build...it's about inheriting someone else's CCBs, which is tricky. If it was my money, I would think about it like this:

Two+ owner car? Probably pass. Too difficult to try to vet the car's past life. If it was some incredible sport seat paint-to-sample spec that I couldn't get my mind off of...I would shell out some money for a dealer to do a rotors-off inspection of those brakes during my PPI...maybe. Honestly, probably pass.

One owner car? Vet the hell out of the owner and their supposed use of the car. Could this guy/gal ever have been on a track with the car? Did they run this heavy-*** traction controlled beast through the local canyons (which taxes the rear brakes heavily)? Maybe you still end up doing a full scope CCB inspection anyway.

Or is this car on BaT and I might just impulse bid on it and sort everything else out after the fact? Hell yea brother! Life is short, drive gold calipers.

Old Today, 07:08 PM

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 E63s Loaded Wgn, No CF
Originally Posted by ColoradoJordan
I am curious about everyone's opinion regarding purchasing a used E63 wagon with 30K miles that has carbon ceramic brakes. I have read articles referencing that CCB seriously hurts a car's value:
https://www.autotrader.com/car-shopp...-plague-267318

Would CBB be a deal breaker for those who would purchase a used car? Assuming no tracked usage and standard daily driving, the rotors should last around 100K, correct?

Thank all.
All responses are helpful and there’s some really awesome insights above, but perhaps a different view from 30K feet.

I’m on my first wagon, a used 2021 currently at 7K miles.
*Insurance is painful, but I don’t have an issue with being over insured.
*Plates/registration also painful. Annually.
*I’m a dealer guy first, Indy second. Warranty matters. Maintenance isn’t cheap.
*Depending on where you’re located, good winter setups are not free.
*Depending on how you drive, it’s not necessarily a fuel efficient vehicle.
*All this before it breaks.

End of the day, if you like this wagon and are ALL in for the ups and downs that come with caring for it for a while…dive the in. I’m not sure the CCBs really move the needle when viewed through the lens of ‘total cost of ownership’ and there are solutions should they fail.
(Obviously get it looked at, as others have said)

These are the greatest cars ever built. They do it all whilst going ridiculously fast and looking and sounding insanely sexy yet with grace and style.

My $.02.
(I’m new here)
Old Today, 07:58 PM

2020 G63
Originally Posted by wgnlust
All responses are helpful and there’s some really awesome insights above, but perhaps a different view from 30K feet.

I’m on my first wagon, a used 2021 currently at 7K miles.
*Insurance is painful, but I don’t have an issue with being over insured.
*Plates/registration also painful. Annually.
*I’m a dealer guy first, Indy second. Warranty matters. Maintenance isn’t cheap.
*Depending on where you’re located, good winter setups are not free.
*Depending on how you drive, it’s not necessarily a fuel efficient vehicle.
*All this before it breaks.

End of the day, if you like this wagon and are ALL in for the ups and downs that come with caring for it for a while…dive the in. I’m not sure the CCBs really move the needle when viewed through the lens of ‘total cost of ownership’ and there are solutions should they fail.
(Obviously get it looked at, as others have said)

These are the greatest cars ever built. They do it all whilst going ridiculously fast and looking and sounding insanely sexy yet with grace and style.

My $.02.
(I’m new here)
All good points. This will be my third E63 wagon, 16' W212, 18' W 213, and now a new W213 with MBUX. I agree about maintenance. I typically buy a CPO, then extend it for two extra years.