C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So NOW I know what the C63 AMG is REALLY capable of...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 C63 AMG
So NOW I know what the C63 AMG is REALLY capable of...

So, after just 6 weeks of ownership and > 4,300 mi. (yes, I know I drive a lot ), I pulled the trigger on an ecu flash! I had all intention of staying stock for a while anyway, but since I know this C63 AMG is actually detuned from the factory, the mod bug bit me hard and hit me fast!

In doing my research on this Forum and elsewhere on the Net, it seems as if Kleemann has the best bang for your buck (not to mention an excellent safety and reliability profile as well as a ton of very satisfied customers) in terms of an ecu flash for the C63 AMG...Kleemann K1. However, I do not live in CO, so the idea of removing my ecu and shipping it to another state (even if my car was out of commission for just a quick 2 1/2 days) was a bit unnerving to say the least.

Then, I checked into the EvoSport/Powerchip for the C63 AMG, thinking that maybe there were some local tuning companies that had the ability to flash my ecu with the Powerchip software. Well, that turned out to be a "no go" as I would still have to remove my ecu and ship it to Powerchip in CA. In addition, although my e-mail correspondence with the guys at Powerchip in CA was very friendly, there were also some inconsistencies in their dyno data ("old" vs "new" C63 AMG ecu flash tune) which brought up some additional doubts in my mind. Also, it bothered me a bit that the Powerchip isn't an ecu flash tune specifically for MB, but for dozens on auto mfgr's and many different cars; they are not the most experienced in MB tuning, just ecu tuning in general.

Then, there are a few more like MHP and some smaller companies that tune the C63 AMG as well; none of which I was interested in...sorry.

So, I know about RENNtech and the excellent reputation they have, but was skeptical at first since their ecu flashes are more expensive than many of the others. However, in doing more research, I come to find that RENNtech, Kleemann, Brabus, and Carlsson are some of the most respected MB tuning companies in the world, and guess what? RENNtech is somewhat local for me! So, this meant I could drive to RENNtech, wait an hour and touch nothing and ship nothing! In addition, I would have free local support if needed.

Granted, I knew I would have to pay more, but having the peace of mind by having the tuning company in my backyard (just in case) is enough for me to justify paying more $$.

Having said that, it definitely goes beyond this. A day after I sent an e-mail to RENNtech, I received a phone call from the sales mgr who sat on the phone with me for >30 minutes, discussing all aspects of C63 AMG tuning, etc. He answered my questions and although I ended the conversation without an appointment, I felt more comfortable with the thought of going with RENNtech. A few days later, I had another question that was completely unrelated to an ecu tune (although it was about another possible mod for the C63 AMG), so I called the same gentleman at RENNtech for advice. Within an hour of my message, I received a call back, and again, he sat on the phone with me for a while answering all my questions. Feeling very confident in their knowledge, experience, reputation, and abilities, (and the fact that I would have local support if needed), I decided to make an appointment with RENNtech to have their level 2 ecu flash done to my C63 AMG.

Well, for the first 45min., I was given a tour of the RENNtech facility (very impressive and busy shop indeed) and engaged in 'C63 AMG tuning' conversations not only with the gentleman I had been dealing with, but also with the owner/president of RENNtech (whom btw - as I understand it, comes from working at the AMG facility in Germany!!!! ). These guys know Mercedes-Benz and AMG...they breathe it and live it everyday! The RENNtech owner/president answered every question I had about this car and others; and I could tell he answered as honestly and accurately as possible without any b.s.

A couple hours later, I drove off in my RENNtech tuned C63 AMG!!!! Although we didn't get to dyno my car (as their dyno was currently unavailable; but will be dyno'ing sometime in the next couple weeks), I could absolutely feel a significant difference immediately (none of the 100mi.+ adaptation b.s.; immediate ecu adaptation)!!!! My C63 AMG should have approx. 511HP / 480 lb-ft TQ now, and it FEELS LIKE IT!!!!

OMG...the TQ is much stronger now, all across the rpm band! I haven't really tested the higher HP in the upper speed ranges yet, but I would imagine that it's just INSANE as this thing pulls like a freight train now!!!!! In addition, shifting through the gears (via the paddles in M mode) seems much smoother now. Before, 1st gear used to buck now and then if I weren't careful; now, it's smooth as butter, albeit about 20% stronger! And, yes, just in case anyone is wondering, it is now speed delimited to ~ 186mph or some crazy ***** like that...not that I will ever test that. Also, FWIW, so far, I have not noticed any change in the exhaust note (as some have mentioned after their Kleemann K1 ecu flash) or the upshift speed in M mode.

If anyone is interested in the RENNtech ecu flash or anything else RENNtech offers, please call them or PM me. They are a wealth of knowledge (specifically for MB AMG's, Porsches, Ferrari's, etc.) and please don't ask me about pricing...it is more $$ than Kleemann, Powerchip, and a few others, but for so many reasons, I am SOOOOOOOOOO happy with this RENNtech ecu flash tune.

btw - I am not taking anything away from Kleemann, Powerchip, MHP, and the other AMG tuning companies; just sharing my thoughts and experience with RENNtech. Each company and ecu flash tune have their advantages and disadvantages, so weighing the positives and negatives is an absolute must here. To me, I had certain priorities as you can tell, and I was almost ready to call Kleemann for their K1 package, but a few things pushed me in RENNtech's direction. So far, I am thrilled that I made the right choice for me, and I'm still curious as to why there aren't more Forum members on here that talk up RENNtech's products. Interestingly enough, RENNtech also offers several other products for the C63 AMG, like the OS Giken LSD, intake, wheels, etc.

I thought my stock C63 AMG was a BEAST; now, my RENNtech (upgrade 2) tuned C63 AMG is just a complete MONSTER!!!!!!!!

Last edited by sflgator; 09-03-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
I want one.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes
Another kinda cool thing about Renntech...for the guys who don't want to pull their ecu and have their car down for a few days (and don't live within driving distance) Renntech also offers the RAT for some extra $$$. It's kinda like a handheld uploader, but it's also a datalogger. So, you order the tune and the RAT, then when it gets to there you just upload it. It also stores your factory program so you can put the factory tune back in the car when you take it to the dealership...well, you get the idea.

Also, I don't know about the 63's tune for sure, but I know some of their tunes are actually cheaper now than the website shows them. I guess they changed their price a while back and the website doesn't reflect that.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by FormulaZR
Another kinda cool thing about Renntech...for the guys who don't want to pull their ecu and have their car down for a few days (and don't live within driving distance) Renntech also offers the RAT for some extra $$$. It's kinda like a handheld uploader, but it's also a datalogger. So, you order the tune and the RAT, then when it gets to there you just upload it. It also stores your factory program so you can put the factory tune back in the car when you take it to the dealership...well, you get the idea.

Also, I don't know about the 63's tune for sure, but I know some of their tunes are actually cheaper now than the website shows them. I guess they changed their price a while back and the website doesn't reflect that.
Unfortunately, the RAT is not currently available for the C63 AMG.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:24 PM

Yes
Originally Posted by sflgator
Unfortunately, the RAT is not currently available for the C63 AMG.
Sorry...then I retract my ill-informed statement.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:33 PM

C63
SFLgator where in FL are you?
Old 09-03-2009, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Nice write up.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Congrats. It is nice to have some local, especailly if dealer flashes to stock.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Sincity
Congrats. It is nice to have some local, especailly if dealer flashes to stock.
True, even though I haven't heard about many incidences of this happening. It's also cool when an MB tuner points you in the direction of a mod-friendly SA.

Last edited by sflgator; 09-03-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 Black on Black
You made a good choice!

So, after just 6 weeks of ownership and > 4,300 mi. (yes, I know I drive a lot ), I pulled the trigger on an ecu flash! I had all intention of staying stock for a while anyway, but since I know this C63 AMG is actually detuned from the factory, the mod bug bit me hard and hit me fast!

In doing my research on this Forum and elsewhere on the Net, it seems as if Kleemann has the best bang for your buck (not to mention an excellent safety and reliability profile as well as a ton of very satisfied customers) in terms of an ecu flash for the C63 AMG...Kleemann K1. However, I do not live in CO, so the idea of removing my ecu and shipping it to another state (even if my car was out of commission for just a quick 2 1/2 days) was a bit unnerving to say the least.

Then, I checked into the EvoSport/Powerchip for the C63 AMG, thinking that maybe there were some local tuning companies that had the ability to flash my ecu with the Powerchip software. Well, that turned out to be a "no go" as I would still have to remove my ecu and ship it to Powerchip in CA. In addition, although my e-mail correspondence with the guys at Powerchip in CA was very friendly, there were also some inconsistencies in their dyno data ("old" vs "new" C63 AMG ecu flash tune) which brought up some additional doubts in my mind. Also, it bothered me a bit that the Powerchip isn't an ecu flash tune specifically for MB, but for dozens on auto mfgr's and many different cars; they are not the most experienced in MB tuning, just ecu tuning in general.

Then, there are a few more like MHP and some smaller companies that tune the C63 AMG as well; none of which I was interested in...sorry.

So, I know about RENNtech and the excellent reputation they have, but was skeptical at first since their ecu flashes are more expensive than many of the others. However, in doing more research, I come to find that RENNtech, Kleemann, Brabus, and Carlsson are some of the most respected MB tuning companies in the world, and guess what? RENNtech is somewhat local for me! So, this meant I could drive to RENNtech, wait an hour and touch nothing and ship nothing! In addition, I would have free local support if needed.

Granted, I knew I would have to pay more, but having the peace of mind by having the tuning company in my backyard (just in case) is enough for me to justify paying more $$.

Now, having said that, it definitely goes beyond this. A day after I sent an e-mail to RENNtech, I received a phone call from the sales mgr who sat on the phone with me for >30 minutes, discussing all aspects of C63 AMG tuning, etc. He answered my questions and although I ended the conversation without an appointment, I felt more comfortable with the thought of going with RENNtech. A few days later, I had another question that was completely unrelated to an ecu tune (although it was about another possible mod for the C63 AMG), so I called the same gentleman at RENNtech for advice. Within an hour of my message, I received a call back, and again, he sat on the phone with me for a while answering all my questions. Feeling very confident in their knowledge, experience, reputation, and abilities, (and the fact that I would have local support if needed), I decided to make an appointment with RENNtech to have their level 2 ecu flash done to my C63 AMG.

Well, for the first 45min., I given a tour of the RENNtech facility (very impressive and busy shop indeed) and engaged in 'C63 AMG tuning' conversations not only with the gentleman I had been dealing with, but also with the owner/president of RENNtech (whom btw - as I understand it, comes from working at the AMG facility in Germany!!!! ). These guys know Mercedes-Benz and AMG...they breathe it and live it everyday! The RENNtech owner/president answered every question I had about this car and others; and I could tell he answered as honestly and accurately as possible without any b.s.

A couple hours later, I drove off in my RENNtech tuned C63 AMG!!!! Although we didn't get to dyno my car (as their dyno was currently unavailable; but will be dyno'ing sometime in the next couple weeks), I could absolutely feel a significant difference immediately (none of the 100mi.+ adaptation b.s.; immediate ecu adaptation)!!!! My C63 AMG should have approx. 511HP / 480 lb-ft TQ now, and it FEELS LIKE IT!!!!

OMG...the TQ is much stronger now, all across the rpm band! I haven't really tested the higher HP in the upper speed ranges yet, but I would imagine that it's just INSANE as this thing pulls like a freight train now!!!!! In addition, shifting through the gears (via the paddles in M mode) seems much smoother now. Before, 1st gear used to buck now and then if I weren't careful; now, it's smooth as butter, albeit about 20% stronger! And, yes, just in case anyone is wondering, it is now speed delimited to ~ 186mph or some crazy ***** like that...not that I will ever test that. Also, FWIW, so far, I have not noticed any change in the exhaust note (as some have mentioned after their Kleemann K1 ecu flash) or the upshift speed in M mode.

If anyone is interested in the RENNtech ecu flash or anything else RENNtech offers, please call them or PM me. They are a wealth of knowledge (specifically for MB AMG's, Porsches, Ferrari's, etc.) and please don't ask me about pricing...it is more $$ than Kleemann, Powerchip, and a few others, but for so many reasons, I am SOOOOOOOOOO happy with this RENNtech ecu flash tune.

btw - I am not taking anything away from Kleemann, Powerchip, MHP, and the other AMG tuning companies; just sharing my thoughts and experience with RENNtech. Each company and ecu flash tune have their advantages and disadvantages, so weighing the positives and negatives is an absolute must here. To me, I had certain priorities as you can tell, and I was almost ready to call Kleemann for their K1 package, but a few things pushed me in RENNtech's direction. So far, I am thrilled that I made the right choice for me, and I'm still curious as to why there aren't more Forum members on here that talk up RENNtech's products. Interestingly enough, RENNtech also offers several other products for the C63 AMG, like the OS Giken LSD, intake, wheels, etc.

I thought my stock C63 AMG was a BEAST; now, my RENNtech (upgrade 2) tuned C63 AMG is just a complete MONSTER!!!!!!!!
sflgator:

Congrats on the decision! I hope my correspondence helped. For me it was locality that had the ultimate reason for going with Powerchip.

You have picked one of the best tuners and you have the convenience and piece of mind if you ever need help.

One thing I would recommend is when your rear tires wear out take a serious look at the Toyo T1R's in 2 sizes bigger four your replacements. Man these things are like night and day from the stock Pirelli's and the 275x35x18's in the rear will definitely give you more grip. I also went with Toyo T1R's in the front at 245x40x18 and they fill out the wheel wells real nice with no rubbing front or back no matter how hard you push the car.

Anyway enjoy and keep us posted!

Phil
Old 09-03-2009, 07:46 PM

Good stuff Bro, congrats!
Old 09-03-2009, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by deaguero
sflgator:

Congrats on the decision! I hope my correspondence helped. For me it was locality that had the ultimate reason for going with Powerchip.

You have picked one of the best tuners and you have the convenience and piece of mind if you ever need help.

One thing I would recommend is when your rear tires wear out take a serious look at the Toyo T1R's in 2 sizes bigger four your replacements. Man these things are like night and day from the stock Pirelli's and the 275x35x18's in the rear will definitely give you more grip. I also went with Toyo T1R's in the front at 245x40x18 and they fill out the wheel wells real nice with no rubbing front or back no matter how hard you push the car.

Anyway enjoy and keep us posted!

Phil
Yes, Phil....I appreciate all your input; definitely made me think a bit more. And, thanks for the tire recommendation; I will look into the Toyo's as well as the Falken FK-452's (which I loved on my tuned BMW 335i) and Bridgestone RE760's (as someone else on here has had a very good experience with on their own C63). I was thinking about 265's for the rear though as I don't want to change the rotational mass too much.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by DLSJ5
Good stuff Bro, congrats!
Thanks, man! Think I can take you now, lol? Even if I could, I would still never beat Terry as he wins no matter what, lol...I am sooooooooooo over all that "N54 tuner war" *****.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:14 PM

Thanks, man! Think I can take you now, lol? Even if I could, I would still never beat Terry as he wins no matter what, lol...I am sooooooooooo over all that "N54 tuner war" *****.
lol, I'm re-running my buddies tuned C63 this weekend, so we shall see! That tuner war stuff is LAME, but I guess par for the course.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by DLSJ5
lol, I'm re-running my buddies tuned C63 this weekend, so we shall see! That tuner war stuff is LAME, but I guess par for the course.
G/L; it will be interesting to see what happens between your modded M3 and the modded C63...be safe and good times!
Old 09-03-2009, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
I like your review but just like everyone on this forum we don't like that you don't want to share the pricing. Everyone on this forum insterested on tuning their C63AMG would like to have a ballpark on how much Renntech tune is, just my .2c

Let us know on the dyno numbers. Thanks!
Old 09-03-2009, 09:33 PM

2007 SRT8 Charger, 09' C63
Congrats
Old 09-03-2009, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by C63newdude
I like your review but just like everyone on this forum we don't like that you don't want to share the pricing. Everyone on this forum insterested on tuning their C63AMG would like to have a ballpark on how much Renntech tune is, just my .2c

If you want pricing, RENNtech does have a Web site with all that info and a phone you can call to speak with someone...PM me if you want a name and phone #; sorry, but it is not my responsibility to discuss pricing on a public forum. In regards to the dyno, I will post it as soon as I get it when the RENNtech dyno is available...maybe next week. However, I will not have a baseline dyno, but I think we can all extrapolate what the baseline stock C63 dyno range would be, so I'm not concerned about it.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:50 AM

2009 c63
gator - big fan of your work on e90 post - so was wondering if you could compare your current before / after to your procede experience on the 335i

that is, from the butt dyno, is the change as significant / immediately discernable

Last edited by wadgras44; 09-04-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Originally Posted by C63newdude

RENtech: $3500 ECU tune.

K1 Tune: $1545
K2 Tune: $2485 + Labor = $3367

Congrats on your tune! Cant wait to do mine. I understand why you did what you did. Local support and instant gratification. But the K1 tune is the same as the RENtech for $1500 less. You can get the K2 tune with headers ect for a gain of 90HP for less than the RENtech tune.

I honestly dont see why they charge so much.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by wadgras44
gator - big fan of your work on e90 post - so was wondering if you could compare your current before / after to your procede experience on the 335i

that is, from the butt dyno, is the change as significant / immediately discernable

No comparison really; the '09 C63 AMG is just a much nicer sports sedan, imho. Although it's lacking a bit in the high-tech gadget department (although somewhat relieved with MY 2010 which adds MB Keyless Go (BMW Comfort Access), Rear-View Camera, etc.), it behaves like a real sports car. Since it was designed to compete (and beat ) the BMW M3, the C63 AMG is a real beast on the road and on the track; e.g. the deep rumble of the quad AMG exhaust is simply sublime, and it handles so much better than a stock 335i.

As far as power goes, a stock C63 AMG is just as fast as a PROcede 335i, but since it's N/A, it's power/speed is more deceptive with more linear power. Now, (b/c the C63 AMG has the same "detuned" 6.2L AMG engine as the other AMG's) an ecu flash tuned C63 AMG like my RENNtech C63 AMG...let's just say that PROcede v3 (or JB3) 335i's should either try to follow or simply get out of the way. Yes, a tuned C63 AMG is definitely faster (with approx 511HP / 480 lb-ft TQ) than a tuned 335i, although I haven't tested that theory yet.

Last edited by sflgator; 09-04-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 Audi RS7
sflgator - CONGRATS!! Welcome to the world of mods!! Trust me, it won't end with the stage I program.

The potential of these motors is incredible!! Come make the mile run with us in October in Miami. Its milemarker-1.com. Be safe and enjoy!!
Old 09-04-2009, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by propain
RENtech: $3500 ECU tune.

K1 Tune: $1545
K2 Tune: $2485 + Labor = $3367

Congrats on your tune! Cant wait to do mine. I understand why you did what you did. Local support and instant gratification. But the K1 tune is the same as the RENtech for $1500 less. You can get the K2 tune with headers ect for a gain of 90HP for less than the RENtech tune.

I honestly dont see why they charge so much.
Your info's somewhat OT for the spirit of the OP's thread; that said, I think your K2 pricing is inaccurate. Pretty sure K2 is ~$4,000 ($3,990 specifically AFAIK), plus labor... Kleemann doesn't have two "stages" of tunes/tune prices to the best of my knowledge.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Your info's somewhat OT for the spirit of the OP's thread; that said, I think your K2 pricing is inaccurate. Pretty sure K2 is ~$4,000 ($3,990 specifically AFAIK), plus labor... Kleemann doesn't have two "stages" of tunes/tune prices to the best of my knowledge.
Its not OT. He is doing a compare. He stated he weighed the pricing ect. He just didnt want to list the prices for some reason. I really dont know why.

My K2 pricing is spot on as of 1 week ago. Unless the guy quoted me only part of the K2 package.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:59 PM

C63
Originally Posted by propain
Its not OT. He is doing a compare. He stated he weighed the pricing ect. He just didnt want to list the prices for some reason. I really dont know why.

My K2 pricing is spot on as of 1 week ago. Unless the guy quoted me only part of the K2 package.
i think you are right propain. i think the K2 comes with the K! tune.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So NOW I know what the C63 AMG is REALLY capable of...