C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Auto Trans Problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Auto Trans Problem?

It goes like this. Pull up a incline, stop, place it in reverse and roll back, stop, place it in drive, release your foot from the brake and the car will continue to roll backwards with it in drive. Now WTH is up with that? First time in my 63 years I've had this occur with any auto trans, but then again I'm not a auto fan (this is for the wife) and things like this are part of the reason. If anyone has any advise or knows of a service bulletin please advise. It's a 2010 Sport.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
No problem, just one feature not included.

You can have the 40-60 year old slush boxes that have hill hold. This new MB 7-speed ATX is state of the art, with perhaps one flaw they likely could not avoid based on timing and cost.

This is the only atx trans I know that has serious high-torque Torque Converter Lock (TCL) in all 7 gears as the default mode, thanks to a heavy duty TC clutch with muti plates. When the trans shifts, you quickly engage the next gear in TCL mode, ie like an auto shift manual trans (audi DSG and BMW SMG come to mind.)

MB 7-speed atx description ---> about 1/2 way down

Trans Sectional Image ---> note beefy clutch in TC

From what I read, MB avoided new crash test requirements on the 722.9 7-speed by more or less staying with the same case envelope of the prior 5 speed 722.6, and avoiding changeing the trans tunnel. In the process, there was not room for the old sprag type hold mechanism.

Evolution of the 722.9 7-speed automatic

Per this link, some have hill holding capability if you use the brake first. Remember that new flushed trans fluid is required every 40K miles.

Last edited by kevink2; 09-13-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:17 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by ergon
It goes like this. Pull up a incline, stop, place it in reverse and roll back, stop, place it in drive, release your foot from the brake and the car will continue to roll backwards with it in drive. Now WTH is up with that? First time in my 63 years I've had this occur with any auto trans, but then again I'm not a auto fan (this is for the wife) and things like this are part of the reason. If anyone has any advise or knows of a service bulletin please advise. It's a 2010 Sport.
I'm not understanding why you are putting it into reverse after stopping but I can tell you that my C300's Hill Start Assist holds the brakes just long enough, about two seconds, to move your foot to the gas pedal. The transmission has nothing to do with it except that it needs to be engaged, I suppose. I think I'll test that tomorrow.

BTW, my C300 is my eighth MB, all automatics including the previous five-speed, and none had this feature.

Your 1947 Studebaker did indeed have a hillholder which was entirely different.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:39 PM

C63
Originally Posted by kevink2
No problem, just one feature not included.

You can have the 40-60 year old slush boxes that have hill hold. This new MB 7-speed ATX is state of the art, with perhaps one flaw they likely could not avoid based on timing and cost.

This is the only atx trans I know that has serious high-torque Torque Converter Lock (TCL) in all 7 gears as the default mode, thanks to a heavy duty TC clutch with muti plates. When the trans shifts, you quickly engage the next gear in TCL mode, ie like an auto shift manual trans (audi DSG and BMW SMG come to mind.)

MB 7-speed atx description ---> about 1/2 way down

Trans Sectional Image ---> note beefy clutch in TC

From what I read, MB avoided new crash test requirements on the 722.9 7-speed by more or less staying with the same case envelope of the prior 5 speed 722.6, and avoiding changeing the trans tunnel. In the process, there was not room for the old sprag type hold mechanism.

Evolution of the 722.9 7-speed automatic

Per this link, some have hill holding capability if you use the brake first. Remember that new flushed trans fluid is required every 40K miles.

Thanks so much for the information it was most helpful.

Erich
Old 09-14-2011, 03:03 PM

C63
Originally Posted by RLE
I'm not understanding why you are putting it into reverse after stopping but I can tell you that my C300's Hill Start Assist holds the brakes just long enough, about two seconds, to move your foot to the gas pedal. The transmission has nothing to do with it except that it needs to be engaged, I suppose. I think I'll test that tomorrow.

BTW, my C300 is my eighth MB, all automatics including the previous five-speed, and none had this feature.

Your 1947 Studebaker did indeed have a hillholder which was entirely different.
"I'm not understand"............how about "don't". I did have a 53 Stud coupe 327/365 Chevy with a m22. I sure as hell miss my 522 RWHP/498 Ft lb Torque Cobra. My Nitto 05R's 325x35x17's held very well on hills but much better on 1320'. Ask the last three Z06's I laid to waste. This thing (C300 Sport) couldn't pull a greasy string out of a cats anus or out run a Moped. It looks nice handles fair and rides well. That's about all I can say. If I had the money I would have the Brabus 4.0 work done.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Another satisfied Benz customer !! I wonder when folks stoped taking test drives before buying ?
Old 09-14-2011, 05:53 PM

C63
Originally Posted by Carsy
Another satisfied Benz customer !! I wonder when folks stoped taking test drives before buying ?
I DID, MY WIFE WANTED IT.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Between a rock & a hard place then .
Old 09-14-2011, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
ergon, a read-through of the owners manual is a true fountain of information. Here I have extracted the Hill-start assist system page. FYI.

Note that this has NOTHING to do with the transmission (works the same with either manual or 7G box), and that the moment you release your foot from the brake, you have about a second or a little more to accelerate or gravity will take its toll, backwards. Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but the Yaw sensor comes into play here?

For those with the C250 CGI with the auto-stop and start, this is the same second needed to restart the engine, which also activates when the driver releases the brake pedal. Cute trick!
Attached Thumbnails Auto Trans Problem?-hill-startassist.jpg  

Last edited by Acapulco Bill; 09-14-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:25 PM

'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
"I'm not understand"............how about "don't". I did have a 53 Stud coupe 327/365 Chevy with a m22. I sure as hell miss my 522 RWHP/498 Ft lb Torque Cobra. My Nitto 05R's 325x35x17's held very well on hills but much better on 1320'. Ask the last three Z06's I laid to waste. This thing (C300 Sport) couldn't pull a greasy string out of a cats anus or out run a Moped. It looks nice handles fair and rides well. That's about all I can say. If I had the money I would have the Brabus 4.0 work done.
exactly why I got the 3.5, and did some work to it. The 3.0 was rly bad, especially in 4matic. Even w the 3.5 its not much. The 4.0 kit doesnt add enough HP for the 15k price tag, cheaper to trade on a 6.3
I dont understand why noone has come out with a charger for these cars or at least some type of updated turbo/intake system. Theres tons of them out there and everyone would buy one, u can turbo or charge everything but a C classs..........WTF
Old 09-14-2011, 09:42 PM

C63
Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill
ergon, a read-through of the owners manual is a true fountain of information. Here I have extracted the Hill-start assist system page. FYI.

Note that this has NOTHING to do with the transmission (works the same with either manual or 7G box), and that the moment you release your foot from the brake, you have about a second or a little more to accelerate or gravity will take its toll, backwards. Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but the Yaw sensor comes into play here?

For those with the C250 CGI with the auto-stop and start, this is the same second needed to restart the engine, which also activates when the driver releases the brake pedal. Cute trick!
Thanks for the info Bill. I'm use to the valve body determining that I have the vehicle in drive and changing the flow thus torque forward. This setup may be great if you're a LEFT foot braker. But, this isn't NASCAR. I'm sorry, but I don't like the idea. A standard on a hill, I can hold with the clutch no brake. Comes from drag racing. That doesn't fit in here.

I'm here to learn. So thanks again,
Old 09-14-2011, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
Originally thought that the Hill-assist wasn´t such a bright idea. Also agree that it is pretty simple to keep the car stable on an upward incline either with an automatic or a standard.

HOWEVER, you have to agree that the Hill-assist scheme is a whole lot more fuel efficient (why use FUEL to provide torque when you are STOPPED anyway, not to mention the wear and tear on the clutch or torque convertor).

If you analyze this situation, the potential energy of the vehicle on an incline, if not held by the brakes, has to be compensated by the equivalent amount of kinetic energy provided by a slipping clutch or a spinning torque converter. That same kinetic energy gets dissipated as heat, either a burning clutch or smoking transmission fluid.

One way to think about is: How much energy would a dozen men provide to hold with a rope, a car stopped on an incline? A STEEP incline? Could an elephant do it? How many horses? Thats how much energy the Hill-assist proposes to provide easier and safer access to.

The incoming European efficiency and emissions standards will require the start-stop technology in order to meet their stringent spec, tell me how are you going to feather the clutch against ZERO RPM´s? The US standard, especially California, isn't far behind anyways.

So give it a try. Gives drivers less to do, surely many objected when the spark advance lever was eliminated from the steering wheel. Many cross streets here in Acapulco have surprising inclines, the local taxi drivers with either manual or automatic transmissions always roll backwards a bit, and some scarily more, in the transition from stopped to forward, at stop signs or traffic lights.

The Hill-assist brake system provides that you always go forward, without wasting energy or wearing out expensive components of your W204, brainlessly I admit, but safely and efficiently.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
... I'm sorry, but I don't like the idea. A standard on a hill, I can hold with the clutch no brake. Comes from drag racing. That doesn't fit in here.
I'm sorry if I misunderstood you, but Bill explained how your car has "hill start assist" provided by the brake system. It's up to you to stop the car on an up-hill condition ... simple matter of holding the brake pedal. When you want to start up the hill again, the system holds the brake on an extra second as your right foot goes back to the gas, to avoid any drift back.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires

HOWEVER, you have to agree that the Hill-assist scheme is a whole lot more fuel efficient (why use FUEL to provide torque when you are STOPPED anyway, not to mention the wear and tear on the clutch or torque convertor).

If you analyze this situation, the potential energy of the vehicle on an incline, if not held by the brakes, has to be compensated by the equivalent amount of kinetic energy provided by a slipping clutch or a spinning torque converter. That same kinetic energy gets dissipated as heat, either a burning clutch or smoking transmission fluid.
+1
Old 09-15-2011, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
How often do you drive up an incline, put it in reverse go down the hill and then back up the hill in drive??? Why???

The only bulletin I've seen pertains to a slow to engage reverse gear.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7

...One way to think about is: How much energy would a dozen men provide to hold with a rope, a car stopped on an incline? A STEEP incline?...
Bad example, answer is Zero energy, just a lot of force, as with the brake hold.

The guys exerting force with rope, is like holding a torque wrench on a wheel nut at 96 ft-lbs .... no work is done (ie force times distance), and no energy is involved.

You are correct about holding rpms up with torque converter, wasted heat energy = the torque applied by the engine x rpm.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
@kevink2: You are right in saying no "work" is being done. However force is being exerted WITHOUT work being done, and that is inefficient. This force is dissipated through friction as heat. Like a jet rocket being used to keep a door shut, a latch is much simpler.

And so is the Hill-start assist system as opposed to burning a clutch or ruining an auto transmission.

By the way kevink2, how do you like your Luxury suspension with the Sport grill? I should have done that instead of the C300 Sport.