C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

lowering springs

Old 06-28-2012, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 c300 sport 4-matic
lowering springs

I know there's some threads on this already but I was just wondering how the car would look if it were dropped with the stock pads in the back instead of the 5mm that most people seem to be doing. I'm thinking on getting either the h&r sports or eibach pro-kit. so if there's anyone with pics of either one I'd appreciate it
Old 06-28-2012, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by foosicle204
I know there's some threads on this already but I was just wondering how the car would look if it were dropped with the stock pads in the back instead of the 5mm that most people seem to be doing. I'm thinking on getting either the h&r sports or eibach pro-kit. so if there's anyone with pics of either one I'd appreciate it
I noticed that when I used the 5mm, the rear wheel gap is now uneven with the front...

the rears tuck a little bit with the 5mm pads...

looks nice from behind the car, having the rear end sit lower...

but not sure i like the tuck with the tires since it doesnt match the front...

anybody else have this same feeling?
Old 06-28-2012, 04:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550 Coupe
This is the reason I kept stock pads with my H&R SS. My wheel gap front and back is the same however the car sits slightly raked like stock. I prefer this to uneven well gaps.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:42 PM

2009 c300 sport 4-matic
yea I've never really been a huge fan of the rear being lower than the front look so it looks like stock pads for me! thanks for the input
Old 06-28-2012, 06:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 C43
Originally Posted by rb23lb
I noticed that when I used the 5mm, the rear wheel gap is now uneven with the front...

the rears tuck a little bit with the 5mm pads...

looks nice from behind the car, having the rear end sit lower...

but not sure i like the tuck with the tires since it doesnt match the front...

anybody else have this same feeling?
I've always thought that the 5mm pads in the rear looked silly.

Looks like youre toting around a couple really fat girls in the back seat.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Exclamation

Originally Posted by blue00r6
I've always thought that the 5mm pads in the rear looked silly.

Looks like youre toting around a couple really fat girls in the back seat.
JESUS... another case of me listening to the "majority" opinion of people swapping stock pads for 5mm...

BAD IDEA once again... nobody mentioned the wheel gap issue not being even...

figured back was higher and NEEDED the 5mm pad to BE EVEN

looks like I will be getting rid of these stupid 5mm pads soon!
Old 06-29-2012, 09:39 PM

2008 Mercedes C300
5mm pads.

This is also new news to me too though i have seen hundreds of c300s lowered on hnr ss springs, i never really payed attention to the height difference..
Old 07-01-2012, 08:35 AM

'07 C320 CDI
I lowered my C320 on H&R SS springs with stock spring pads and couldn't be happier. Nice even 40mm drop all round. Front & Rear gaps are completely even.

lowering springs-photo-10.jpg
Old 07-01-2012, 08:42 AM

Received 107 Likes on 94 Posts
2016 C450 AMG / C50 Lorinser
Yes, looks good.

Originally Posted by AMG_79
I lowered my C320 on H&R SS springs with stock spring pads and couldn't be happier. Nice even 40mm drop all round. Front & Rear gaps are completely even.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
JESUS... another case of me listening to the "majority" opinion of people swapping stock pads for 5mm...

BAD IDEA once again... nobody mentioned the wheel gap issue not being even...!
When looking at big-drop springs, you need to expand your "majority opinions" to include H&R techs.

Cool is in the eyes of the beholder. Just installing super-drop springs put you in one group .... super drops. This group has no concern with the related changes in Ackerman-angle, bump-steer, and steering axis changes.

Then ... you have the sub-group of super-drop where you are happy to get max drop where ever you can get it, front or rear. Some of these would have installed a 3mm rear pad if available.

... figured back was higher and NEEDED the 5mm pad to BE EVEN

Need to be a bit more cautious about assumptions, especially when dealing with the referenced sub-group.

Last edited by kevink2; 07-02-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by Norm01
This is the reason I kept stock pads with my H&R SS. My wheel gap front and back is the same however the car sits slightly raked like stock. I prefer this to uneven well gaps.
+1
Old 07-01-2012, 08:45 PM

C350
Thumbs down

BAD IDEA once again... nobody mentioned the wheel gap issue not being even...

figured back was higher and NEEDED the 5mm pad to BE EVEN

You and I are in exactly the same spot! I really hope people see these posts...all of the posts I read were about how awesome the Super Sports\5mm pad combo is and how everyone ordering Eibach's or Sport springs were making a bad decision. BAD advice guys...this combo is absolute garbage. The ride is terrible and it looks ridiculous.

I just drove from Austin to Houston, Houston to Galveston, Galveston to Dallas, and then back to Austin tomorrow. My back is killing me...I'm not looking forward to the drive home tomorrow.

I'm tempted to go back to stock pads but I think I'll probably just end up ordering Eibach's and redoing all of it. I'm so pissed.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by ElJayBird
You and I are in exactly the same spot! I really hope people see these posts...all of the posts I read were about how awesome the Super Sports\5mm pad combo is and how everyone ordering Eibach's or Sport springs were making a bad decision. BAD advice guys...this combo is absolute garbage. The ride is terrible and it looks ridiculous.

I just drove from Austin to Houston, Houston to Galveston, Galveston to Dallas, and then back to Austin tomorrow. My back is killing me...I'm not looking forward to the drive home tomorrow.

I'm tempted to go back to stock pads but I think I'll probably just end up ordering Eibach's and redoing all of it. I'm so pissed.
Depending on what your original objective was, you might want your stock springs back. I left the OE springs and just swapped for the Eibach anti-sway bars. I also have Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires. Short of a C63, I would put this car up against any C Class for handling capability with a very comfortable ride. The appearance of a drop had zero appeal to me, but I was interested in better steering response, reduced body roll and understeer...all accomplished.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Depending on what your original objective was, you might want your stock springs back. I left the OE springs and just swapped for the Eibach anti-sway bars. I also have Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires. Short of a C63, I would put this car up against any C Class for handling capability with a very comfortable ride. The appearance of a drop had zero appeal to me, but I was interested in better steering response, reduced body roll and understeer...all accomplished.
The spring options for the W204 are limited. For another car I have, Mazda6, RacingBeat offers linear rate 20% stiffer springs with only 1/2" to 3/4" drop. For the turbo'd Mazdaspeed6 version, RPM offfers 30% stiffer linear springs with .7" drop, and even stiffer springs with .5" drop, but require konis to handle the stiff springs.

That said, IMHO, oem bump cushions on the shocks that were not shortened when the SS springs were installed cause the rough ride. Another possibility is the SS dual spring rates. Called progressive, but you can clearly see the dual spacing pattern of the coils. If designed correctly, the car would ride on the soft rate (closely spaced) part of the spring, then collapse these coils and ride on the widely spaced portion when landing after "getting some air" on a sharp hill, or when pitching the car into a corner. I suspect they could be riding on the stiff part by design fault.

An example of very stiff springs go back to an old Triumph I had and built it to SCCA D-Production racing. The front race springs were 100% stiffer than oem, and at full droop were loose in the upper and lower retainer. When the track season (for HPDE's) was over, I just removed the race sway bars, and the ride was great!

Last edited by kevink2; 07-02-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:26 PM

09 C300

Crap....now I'm scared too...I was on the fence between the sport and Supersports but as I saw all those comments about how the SS were WAY better I ordered the SS. Now I have them in my trunk ready to be installed this week and am nervous if I should spend the money on the install or send them back and go with the sports instead.........

Old 07-02-2012, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
...all of the posts I read were about how awesome the Super Sports\5mm pad combo is and how everyone ordering Eibach's or Sport springs were making a bad decision...
Any links to those misleading posts?

Don't toss out the SS until you talk to a tech (not sales guy) at H&R ... normally a high quality mfg. Discuss if the bump cushions on the shocks were supposed to be shortened. An installer may have ignored the instructions.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:51 AM

C350
Originally Posted by kevink2
Any links to those misleading posts?

Don't toss out the SS until you talk to a tech (not sales guy) at H&R ... normally a high quality mfg. Discuss if the bump cushions on the shocks were supposed to be shortened. An installer may have ignored the instructions.

That's a good idea. I'm going to give them a call today. I'll also swing by MB and pick up a set of 13mm pads so I can get back to stock there anyway. I'll decide if I'm going to replace them after speaking with the tech.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C Class
Heres mine on H&R Super Sport Springs

I wouldn't go Sport's you wouldnt really notice a different try Super Sports ,im planning on removing my Super Sports and putting coilovers
Old 07-02-2012, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C Class
how did you get the front to sit so nice,I'm running SS as well but the front sits higher
Old 07-03-2012, 10:37 AM

2009 c300 sport 4-matic
Originally Posted by IW IE IS IT IA
I wouldn't go Sport's you wouldnt really notice a different try Super Sports ,im planning on removing my Super Sports and putting coilovers
I mean I guess if I'm dropping it I might as well drop it right? I know people say the stock shocks are fine but does anyone know if the lifetime is shorter with the super sports seeing as the car sits lower. and if I were to go with supersports are there any different or any more adjustments such as camber tow ect. I'd need to make as opposed to the sports.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:39 AM

2009 c300 sport 4-matic
any big differences in ride quality between sport and super sport with STOCK rear pads?
Old 07-03-2012, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
any big differences in ride quality between sport and super sport with STOCK rear pads?
Until someone invents a universal butt calibrator, you will not get an objective answer. How much is "big"?
Old 07-03-2012, 10:54 AM

Received 107 Likes on 94 Posts
2016 C450 AMG / C50 Lorinser
Who is sitting on Eibach?
Old 07-03-2012, 12:09 PM

2009 c300 sport 4-matic
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Until someone invents a universal butt calibrator, you will not get an objective answer. How much is "big"?
I just mean if there's a drastic difference bouncynesswise or if one rides smoother than the other
Old 07-04-2012, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
yea I've never really been a huge fan of the rear being lower than the front look so it looks like stock pads for me! thanks for the input
^
+1

Nobody has mention this before, I'm glad I didn’t change the pads.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: lowering springs