CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

MBH Headers, Quaife LSD, E55K Cams and Custom Exhaust installed on CLK500

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Supercharged CLK500 & ML500
MBH Headers, Quaife LSD, E55K Cams and Custom Exhaust installed on CLK500

Quaife LSD
This is a fantastic mod! No more going sideways on standing starts, the traction control light does not come on as often and I can put the power down while turning! Really changes the handling characteristics of the car! I highly recommend it!

MBH Headers, Custom Exhaust and E55K cams

The Hardware Now vs Then
  • MBH Headers vs Pathetic OEM Exhaust manifolds
  • 2.5" Mandrel Bent T304 SS tubing vs 2.25" kinked tubing
  • 1 pair of 300 cell metallic Random Tech Cats vs pair of OEM Primaries and 300 Cell Thunderbolt Cats
  • 2.5" dual in/out Borla + (2) Moroso Spiral Flow (flows 850 cfm) vs 3" in and Dual 2.25" out Borla
  • Quad Tips vs Single tip
  • Resonator Delete vs OEM Resonator
  • E55K Cam vs OEM CLK500 Cam

Mid-range torque jumped enormously and the tone of the exhaust is a little higher! There is less drone than what I had before during cruising, it gurgles when I get off throttle and is REALLY loud during WOT! During normal driving the car short shifts, probably due to the extra low range torque; but is totally streetable.

To kill the CEL, I bought the Bosch Universal O2 kit and extended my downstream O2 sensors (these must be installed or you will not pass the O2 Heater Smog test) and sent my ECU to Kleemann USA to turn off the rear O2 efficiency Smog test.

I picked up about an extra 40RWHP, but I think I lost some boost with the free-flowing exhaust; so I'm currently at 399 RWHP and 382 RWTQ. I'm thinking of getting a smaller pulley to get some of the boost back. My Air/Fuel ratio is safe but pretty rich, I think it can be smoothed out some more and gain some more HP, so retune is coming soon!

Big shout out to Cory, Brandon and the rest of the Kleemann USA crew! Their expertise and customer service is second to none!

Here's the pics and the vids!

The Killer MBH Long Tube Headers

Flex Pipe, Cat and O2 Extensions

Merge to the Borla Muffler

Connection to the Moroso Mufflers

Going over the swaybar

View from the rear

On the Dyno

Dyno chart!

Vids

Old 09-28-2012, 01:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK500 '03
Very nice mods
Install only primary cats? second cats cutoff?
Old 09-28-2012, 06:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
Very nice! The MBH headers are like pieces of art! Unfortunately I just couldn't bring myself to spend the money for them, I bought Kleemann headers instead. Were your dyno runs in 3rd or 4th?
Old 09-28-2012, 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Is your supercharger the autorotor or the eaton? Nice numbers!
Old 09-28-2012, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Very nice! Great exhaust install. I will copy when I go true duals.

What rear sway bar is that? I will copy that as well..... and my double hump cross member dilema is over! Hah!

I love this site.

Oh and that exhaust note is FABULOUS!
Old 09-28-2012, 08:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
AFR comments:

I would address the AFR @ 4000-4500 ..... goes above 12.
***I would add fuel here try to stay below 11.8.

And 5000-6000... get's below 11.5.
***I would remove fuel here.... you are super rich here..... going to 10 at one point killing power. I thought I was super rich @ 10.8 on the top end.... but 10.0000 is way too much fuel.

I would add a real-time AFR meter to monitor things... cory had me install mine on the drivers side bank as this one goes lean 1st due to fuel rail....... I make a random WOT pull through 3rd just to be sure fuel system is keeping up over time........ I've yet to cook a supercharged motor in over 10yrs of playing with modified cars..... I'm not the fastest... but my stuff lasts. ...... my racing buddies do give me hell about always having the most mods for my ets. I hate braking things. I've got the zietronics afr and put my afr read-out in the cubby under the radio with smoked lexan cover.... so you see nothing until it's on.

Pardon my little thread-jack..... GREAT BUILD!!!!

Last edited by betrezra; 09-28-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by olegfrompenza
Very nice mods
Install only primary cats? second cats cutoff?
Thanks! Yes, I only have the primary cats installed; no secondary. The Random Tech cats do a VERY good job on its own; there is no black carbon buildup on my exhaust tips after countless WOT runs!

Originally Posted by 91RS
Very nice! The MBH headers are like pieces of art! Unfortunately I just couldn't bring myself to spend the money for them, I bought Kleemann headers instead. Were your dyno runs in 3rd or 4th?
Ha, Ha! I know, I said to myself that I would hang the headers on the wall or make a coffee table out of them if I ever got rid of the car! The dyno runs were in 4th gear.

Originally Posted by GT-ER
Is your supercharger the autorotor or the eaton? Nice numbers!
Eaton SC with a 2.8" Pulley. Thank you!

Originally Posted by betrezra
Very nice! Great exhaust install. I will copy when I go true duals.

What rear sway bar is that? I will copy that as well..... and my double hump cross member dilema is over! Hah!

I love this site.

Oh and that exhaust note is FABULOUS!
Thanks Jeff!
The exhaust fabricator modified the H&R sway bar to run lower so the exhaust goes over the top.

AFR comments:

I would address the AFR @ 4000-4500 ..... goes above 12.
***I would add fuel here try to stay below 11.8.

And 5000-6000... get's below 11.5.
***I would remove fuel here.... you are super rich here..... going to 10 at one point killing power. I thought I was super rich @ 10.8 on the top end.... but 10.0000 is way too much fuel.

I would add a real-time AFR meter to monitor things... cory had me install mine on the drivers side bank as this one goes lean 1st due to fuel rail....... I make a random WOT pull through 3rd just to be sure fuel system is keeping up over time........ I've yet to cook a supercharged motor in over 10yrs of playing with modified cars..... I'm not the fastest... but my stuff lasts. ...... my racing buddies do give me hell about always having the most mods for my ets. I hate braking things. I've got the zietronics afr and put my afr read-out in the cubby under the radio with smoked lexan cover.... so you see nothing until it's on.

Pardon my little thread-jack..... GREAT BUILD!!!!
No worries about the thread-jack and thanks for the advise, Jeff! I will pass along the info when I get the retune. I had MBH add a wideband O2 bungs on both banks, but I haven't had a chance to install a wide band monitor. Do you have any more info on your wide band install?
Old 09-28-2012, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/Ha..._Tweaker.shtml

http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/zt2/zt2.shtml

This is what I used.

Run the o2 sensor input wire thru existing hole in trans tunnel on pager side footwell.

I've had no issues so far with wide and o2 sensor fouling after almost a year. Be sure you bung for sensor is at angle to keep condensation out of sensor. Cool car!
Old 09-29-2012, 07:52 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2012 C63 Coupe P31
Good looking exhaust and header setup. I like the v-band clamps. Like betrezra said, if you clean up the AFR above 4800 rpm, you might see another 20-30 whp. At 5000-6000, you are running way to rich. For force induction cars, you want to hit 11.8:1 AFR.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:41 PM

CLK550
any 1/4 mile times ?
Old 09-30-2012, 04:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Fantastic work Carlos, really impressive numbers!
Old 09-30-2012, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/Ha..._Tweaker.shtml

http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/zt2/zt2.shtml

This is what I used.

Run the o2 sensor input wire thru existing hole in trans tunnel on pager side footwell.

I've had no issues so far with wide and o2 sensor fouling after almost a year. Be sure you bung for sensor is at angle to keep condensation out of sensor. Cool car!
Got it! Thanks for the info!
I noticed that ZT2 also tracks Boost! Cory wanted me to give him a updated measurement of SC boost; if it's too low he will sell me the smaller 2.6" pulley!

Originally Posted by quaalude
Good looking exhaust and header setup. I like the v-band clamps. Like betrezra said, if you clean up the AFR above 4800 rpm, you might see another 20-30 whp. At 5000-6000, you are running way to rich. For force induction cars, you want to hit 11.8:1 AFR.
I'm going to get an updated tune to fix the AFR, but I'm going to wait to see if I will get the smaller pulley. If I get the pulley I can tune for the new boost and AFR!

Originally Posted by blackieclk550
any 1/4 mile times ?
Not yet, stay tuned!

Originally Posted by Kevwood
Fantastic work Carlos, really impressive numbers!
Thanks Kev! Every time I think I'm done modding, you and Jeff keep giving me great ideas!
Old 09-30-2012, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
The zietronics kit is pretty nice... and not very expensive.

For a quick diagnostic check of fuel pressure/boost while driving, I actually bought a set of mechanical autometer gages and (duct-taped them to my windsheild)... and ran the lines under the hood to the fuel rail and boost vac line. I was able to monitor boost/fuel press/AFR real-time while driving under different conditions. I played around with the klee adj fuel pressure regulator and it really doesn't do much.... so I just adjusted it back to how I got it.

I confirmed a few things with this "ghetto rig" gage setup:
1. fuel system is keeping up with the motor just fine...... my klee fuel system uses klee fuel press regulator by the rear diff, a DC-DC invertor which jacks up voltage to the fuel pump over 4psi of boost (that is in the trunk)....... my fuel pressure went from stock reading to 70psi @ 0psi, and 100psi under boost....... and hung in there through the revs.
2. The boost ramped up as soon as I step on it... up to 8/9psi and hung in there through the revs...... dropping perhaps .5psi up top.

My AFR runs pretty close to stoich.... normally.... and when I get on it..... AFR drops to 10.5-10.8 or 11.0-11.2 dep on weather conditions. After I lift off under heavy decel.... it's 20+......

Let me know if I can help with anything my klee brothers!
Old 09-30-2012, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
My AFR runs pretty close to stoich.... normally.... and when I get on it..... AFR drops to 10.5-10.8 or 11.0-11.2 dep on weather conditions. After I lift off under heavy decel.... it's 20+......

Let me know if I can help with anything my klee brothers!
That's pretty rich, no? I just got my ECM back Friday, but I haven't driven it because of rain and that's supposed to stay through Monday, so maybe I can drive it Tuesday. I'll probably throw my AFR gauge back in then and see where it's at now. I'm still trying to figure out what to do for the rest of my exhaust. I was wanting to stay stainless steel, but holy crap it's expensive. A hot rod pipe kit from Stainless Works is $730, high flows are $300-$400, x-pipe is $100, and labor is roughly estimated at $300-$400.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
91rs - yeah 10.5-10.8 is leaving power on the table.
I've been told 11.8-12.2 is good safe tune.
I'll play with the dc-dc inverter and fuel press reg AFTER I install the lt's.
........ (back to the OP)............
Yeah these SS dual exhaust's are works of ART! very nice 2m!
Old 10-05-2012, 09:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 G55k
91rs - yeah 10.5-10.8 is leaving power on the table.
I've been told 11.8-12.2 is good safe tune.
I'll play with the dc-dc inverter and fuel press reg AFTER I install the lt's.
........ (back to the OP)............
Yeah these SS dual exhaust's are works of ART! very nice 2m!

A quick question. I'm new to this modding business and I'm trying to sort out my install issues. I have yet to get the car on a dyno but when you talk about altering your AFR's, who does your actual fuel management changes to your ECU? Do you send it back to Kleemann? Or are you modifying the existing tune KLeemann did?

I noticed you mentioned you are running about 70 psi fuel pressure. That's what I'm getting as well. But why does the manual say 55-58psi is correct?

Here's my mod thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/g55-amg-w...oject-s-c.html
Old 10-05-2012, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Bonita - If you are running the Kleemann fuel system that uses the stock fuel injectors + klee fuel press regulator + DC-DC invertor (boost-a-pump)..... this is what I saw with my fuel pressure:

idle: should see stock fuel pressure 45-55 (17psi vac)
rev up @ 0 psi vac..... my fuel pressure jumps to 70-80psi.
Then under full boost the fuel press reg bumps fuel pressure to 100+psi

I would hook a fuel gage and boost gage and afr gage and drive it.... or put on dyno.... and see what is going on. If you see 70psi at idle... car will run like dog@@@@@. GL.

I suspect you have a kinked vac source line from your engine to your fuel press reg! GL>

Here is my post about my fuel pressure:
https://mbworld.org/forums/4954606-post436.html

Last edited by betrezra; 10-05-2012 at 05:45 PM.