Mercedes Amg A45 Cylinder compression and oil chewing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peugeot308
Mercedes Amg A45 Cylinder compression and oil chewing

HI guys new to the site, wandering if you can help
Im interested in buying a Jan 2016 A45 (although car build date is Dec 3 2015) from a private seller.
They are 2nd owners, the car has done 70000km (im australian), no log book (they said they never got it when they bought car. they bought it from another state) just their receipts from when they did stuff to the car which is patchy aswell.

Anyway i thought i pay the money and get a pre inspection done. Everything the mechanic was happy with apart from the log book and engine compression especially for how many km's car has done.

People on this forum might understand more of this, but they said on each cylinder, they were reading 138PSI. They said they would like to see at least 165PSI-170PSI or more .. Is this right?

Also the engine oil when i checked was just over maximum on dipstick and when the mechanic checked, they stated it was under the maximum. must be burning oil, but they also said there were no evidence of blue smoke when they launched the car from first to second gear. Also found one side of head gasket leaking(which is easy to replace).

Is this a car to stay away from or somewhat could be salvaged if the owners agree to a much lower price. Let me know your thoughts thanks
Old 01-25-2021, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gla45
Originally Posted by Natty81
Im interested in buying a Jan 2016 A45 (although car build date is Dec 3 2015) from a private seller.
They are 2nd owners, the car has done 70000km (im australian), no log book (they said they never got it when they bought car. they bought it from another state) just their receipts from when they did stuff to the car which is patchy aswell.

Anyway i thought i pay the money and get a pre inspection done. Everything the mechanic was happy with apart from the log book and engine compression especially for how many km's car has done.

People on this forum might understand more of this, but they said on each cylinder, they were reading 138PSI. They said they would like to see at least 165PSI-170PSI or more .. Is this right?

Also the engine oil when i checked was just over maximum on dipstick and when the mechanic checked, they stated it was under the maximum. must be burning oil, but they also said there were no evidence of blue smoke when they launched the car from first to second gear. Also found one side of head gasket leaking(which is easy to replace).

Is this a car to stay away from or somewhat could be salvaged if the owners agree to a much lower price. Let me know your thoughts thanks
​​​​​​yes stay well away. Mine is in the garage now, under warranty. It started putting out smoke when cold and used a lot of oil ever since about 2k miles after new. I took it in about 5 times for the problem with nff. Eventually the garage checked it and found cylinder 4 was 25 percent down to the other 3 and had scored bores, new engine required. Thank god for warranty 👍
Old 01-25-2021, 04:12 PM
SPONSOR

Received 87 Likes on 42 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Natty81

Hello there, did they do the compression test by mb diagnostic tool?
138PSI is too less your car should throw missfire codes this is 9.5bar.
remove all coil and plugs, do an manual compression test. anything lower than 10 is bad. now that you are saying all cylinders have the exact same compression can be that there is lot of oil. (have a battery supply attached while doing that) I would do also a camera check to see the cylinder walls and the top of the piston / clearance to the cylinder wall, is there lot of oil or not. same with the spark plugs once you remove them, see if they have a lot of oil on them.

Watch this video after minute 16.

Last edited by TK_BlackBoost; 01-25-2021 at 04:16 PM.