A45, A35 AMG (W176, W177) 2013 to present. Two generations
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the AMG Drive Unit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
‘21 GLS 450, ‘20 Ford Raptor, ‘20 Mazda Miata, ‘21 A35 AMG.
What is the AMG Drive Unit?

Hi Folks,

I am configuring a new A35 AMG. One of the options is a $400 "AMG Drive Unit" which appears to add some mode configuration buttons to the steering wheel. My question - is this redundant to the adjustability that can be configured within the infotainment - AKA a more convenient way to adjust? Or does this option actually add configurability capability to the car? Thanks folks!
Old 03-31-2021, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,000 Likes on 586 Posts
N/A
They don't add anything new exactly, they just provide easy-access to certain settings, and they look good.
Everything they do can be done on-screen or using the dynamic switch in the center console.

Old 03-31-2021, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
‘21 GLS 450, ‘20 Ford Raptor, ‘20 Mazda Miata, ‘21 A35 AMG.
Originally Posted by Eaton
They don't add anything new exactly, they just provide easy-access to certain settings, and they look good.
Everything they do can be done on-screen or using the dynamic switch in the center console.

Awesome, thank you for the quick reply!

While I have you... do you know if the standard steering wheel has paddle shifters? Or do you need one of the upgraded steering wheels for the paddle shifters? Sorry if that's a silly question.

Also, for more spirited driving, would you absolutely recommend the "AMG Ride Control" option which seems to enhance the suspension setup? I will not be tracking the car, but certainly i enjoy spirited weekend drives. Thoughts on that option?
Old 03-31-2021, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,000 Likes on 586 Posts
N/A
Originally Posted by instarand

While I have you... do you know if the standard steering wheel has paddle shifters? Or do you need one of the upgraded steering wheels for the paddle shifters? Sorry if that's a silly question.

Also, for more spirited driving, would you absolutely recommend the "AMG Ride Control" option which seems to enhance the suspension setup? I will not be tracking the car, but certainly i enjoy spirited weekend drives. Thoughts on that option?
Based on pictures, they appear to only be on the AMG branded steering wheels.

I think you should go to a dealer and try a car that has the option. This is how it works though:

The AMG RIDE CONTROL suspension is your key to
superior performance in everyday driving and on
the race track. The adaptive damping provides a
broad range between a comfortable and very
sporty setup. You select between Comfort, Sport or
Sport+ with only one operating procedure and the
suspension characteristics change immediately.

-In "Comfort" mode, the driving characteristics of your vehicle are comfortable. Select this suspension setting if you prefer a comfortable driving style.
-"Sport" driving mode ensures a firmer suspension setting. Select this suspension setting when employing a sporty driving style, e.g. on winding country roads.
-"Sport Plus" driving mode ensures a very firm suspension setting.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C43 AMG
Originally Posted by instarand

Both wheels have paddle shifters. The full AMG steering wheel has much larger paddles, whereas the regular "sport" steering wheel has smaller paddles. My brother has an A35 with the regular steering wheel and my A35 has the AMG wheel.

Also, I have the Drive Control Unit on my wheel. It does look pretty cool, but as someone else said everything you can do with the unit can be done on the screen or via buttons on the center control stack. I didn't spec my car, it just happened to have everything I wanted + the drive unit.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,920 Likes on 2,621 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by W205_AMG
Also, I have the Drive Control Unit on my wheel. It does look pretty cool, but as someone else said everything you can do with the unit can be done on the screen or via buttons on the center control stack. I didn't spec my car, it just happened to have everything I wanted + the drive unit.
The main purpose of the AMG Drive Unit is essentially the last bullet point in the image that @Eaton posted above. It allows changing performance related settings w/o having to take your hands off the steering wheel mid dynamic driving. It really makes the car very driver focused, IMO. Steering wheel controls for changing drive modes are very Formula One like and found on Ferraris and other supercars. I use it as the primary means to change the drive mode settings, and the other means are the redundant ways for the lesser used functions. What I particularly like is that the round drive mode selector has a shortcut to the Individual mode by pressing it. So regardless of the current mode, you can always press it to select Individual mode, which is the mode that I switch to most from other modes.
Old 08-22-2021, 01:04 PM

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
C63S
Can this be retrofitted easily? I had them on my C63s and they were great, used them a lot. But they aren't available on UK spec GLB 35, so I'll miss it. However, they have them on the LHD versions as seen in RBR's GLB35 review.

Has anyone fitted them and made them work?