A45, A35 AMG (W176, W177) 2013 to present. Two generations

A45 rust component on brand new car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2022 | 06:39 PM

A45s AMG
A45 rust component on brand new car

Hi, I have previously had 3 Class AMG's. This is my first A45 and I received it a few days ago. On looking at the engine I found a couple of things that seemed odd. I am not over technical, so thus the post. One of the components at the back of the engine looks quite rusted. It is quote obvious as everything around it looks shiny and new, yet the one component looks quite severely rusted? Can anyone comment on this, please see attached pics.
The second questions is, there seems to be a port next to a flu reservoir that has a machined thread and yet to plug or cap? Seems anything could simply fall in or killed water filling windscreen washer could simply go intonthe hole? Not sure what it is for and if it should have a cap? Anyone else have an A45s for comparison please?

Thanks.

Old 04-12-2022 | 01:53 PM

MY23 C63 S Final Edition
Hey, I had look at my 2021 and took a few pics for you.

Your rusted piece looks like its been exposed to lots of moisture. Mine is bare metal with a tiny bit of surface oxidisation only.

My port next to the reservoir is empty like yours.

Old 04-12-2022 | 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
That's your turbo and surface rust on turbos is normal. It's because of the materials used and the high heat they have to sustain. Basically high heat + iron = surface corrosion. More so if you live in a humid environment. It's like exhausts that unless they are made from stainless steel or titanium quickly rust from the heat. It's nothing to be concerned about. It just happens. Depending on the environment it happens quicker.
Old 04-12-2022 | 03:10 PM

MY23 C63 S Final Edition
Originally Posted by superswiss
That's your turbo and surface rust on turbos is normal. It's because of the materials used and the high heat they have to sustain. Basically high heat + iron = surface corrosion. More so if you live in a humid environment. It's like exhausts that unless they are made from stainless steel or titanium quickly rust from the heat. It's nothing to be concerned about. It just happens. Depending on the environment it happens quicker.
Some superficial rust might be normal like mine but the OP's is nowhere near normal, thats rotten.
Old 04-12-2022 | 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by nn7man
Some superficial rust might be normal like mine but the OP's is nowhere near normal, thats rotten.
Nah, completely normal. Here's an example of the biturbos in the V8 on an engine after 3k miles. All depends on environment factors out of one's control.

Old 10-22-2022 | 04:56 PM

A45
Engine bay looks pretty tight even with just 4 cylinders LOL. Great little rocket though, was browsing for a GT-R recently but considering that it cost several times the prices of an A45, just not worth it. The GT-R has a lot of presence no doubt, but I suspect I would have more fun in the A45. Must say that I've never driven the GT-R on the road.