Mercedes Me and Mbux problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2023, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes A200 Hatchback 2019
Mercedes Me and Mbux problem

Hi all,

I'read some threads, did some research but couldn't find any solution, therefore I am creating this thread.

I own a second hand 2019 model A200 hatchback (W177). I live in Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, which is a country that is not recognized by most of the world. This country is not well developed, and is not a part of EU. The local government doesn't approve integrated sim cards and 4G is not active here, so all you can use for GSM technology is 3G with a physical sim card.

As you know, Mercedes has a MBux system, which connects to internet using its own built in GSM hardware. There is no option to connect it over your phone's hotspot or any other direct connection is not supported. Long story short, it has a hermes module that is used to connect over GSM networks, but not with a physical sim, an integrated eSim instead. I am attaching the hermes manual for you if you want to know more details. There is no alternative hermes module that can be used with a physical sim card, the only option is eSim.

First I thought maybe we can install and pair the device using a firmware and a personal config file, but offline update is not possible for MBux so this is not even an option.

Since the eSim and its built in carrier information doesn't work in my region, I tried to find another solution. First thing popped in my mind is to connect it to the internet using an ELM327 OBD-2 interface, but it seems impossible to route the internet traffic over CAN bus protocol. So this option is pretty much impossible either.

The third option is by far the only option remaining, that can be done but I don't have the hardware or the resources to try yet. This is pretty much hacking. While i was doing research, I found an article that a woman named Alissa Knight performed a penetration test (security test) over the police cars built in comms in Las Vegas. Since this is already done for another purpose, theoratically this will also enable mercedes me connection over GSM.

What I need is a educational tool named BladeRF 2.0 micro, a computer with Ubuntu Linux with LTS, and installation of YateBTS. With this setup, you practically run some short distance GSM network that your car can connect to, and route the network traffic over your own cellphone's hotspot. This way mercedes me connects, activates and you can buy extra installations like smartphone packages from mercrdes me store. The problem is, this setup costs over $500 and takes long cargo time.

I contacted mercedes several times but they didn't offer any solution, which renders my MBux useless. It becomes nothing more than a bluetooth car stereo. Maybe replacing it with a cheap car entertainment kit will be easier and cost effective, but I can say that there are 100s of mercedes cars here in northern cyprus that has the same problem as mine.

Any other ideas, suggestions?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
User-manual-3896403.pdf (1.07 MB, 440 views)
Old 06-23-2023, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 751 Likes on 558 Posts
GLE 580
Just drive your vehicle to the south and let it connect to a Greek Cyprus network. At the very least near the border of Cyprus, you should be able to connect to cellular service.
​​​​​
You will need to create a Mercedes Me account and connect the vehicle to it. If vehicle is connected to another account, you'll have to take it to a dealer and show proof of ownership.

Another option is to have BenzNinja (google it) or another coder to switch the ability to tether the internet thru your phone. It's limited though in what it will do.

​​​​​

Last edited by wildta; 06-23-2023 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-23-2023, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,646 Posts
2019 C63CS
MBUX can technically connect to an external hotspot. It's explained in the owner's manual, but as far as I know, this option is not available if the car is equipped with the HERMES module. As mentioned above, BenzNinja and other remote coders can probably recoded it to bypass the HERMES module and activate the external hotspot option. Then you can tether it to your phone's hotspot for example.