Sponsored by:

Questions about a Distronic retrofit and front grille emblem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2023, 01:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 A35 AMG
Questions about a Distronic retrofit and front grille emblem

Hi all. My W177 A35 didn't come with Distronic so I'm trying to add it after the fact. I see that there's a connector for a radar sensor on the wire harness in the front behind the grille/emblem, so I've ordered a used sensor from eBay. I also ordered a new front emblem (see picture below) that is compatible with Distronic so that the radar sensor will work behind it. This should all work after I replace the steering wheel buttons and get the proper coding. While I'm at it I'm also changing my grill to a Panamericana one

Spoiler

I have two questions about this:
  1. It looks like the emblem doesn't have the silver ring that goes around it. Is this a separate part that I can get somewhere?
  2. Looking at the back of the emblem (picture below), I see that it has a connector that I believe is for defrosting to make sure that ice doesn't build up and the radar signal can get through in cold weather. I don't see a connector for this on the wire harness behind my bumper like I did with the radar sensor. Am I out of luck there or can I still connect the defroster on the emblem somehow?

Spoiler

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Pyronaut; 11-14-2023 at 01:29 AM.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 A35 AMG
To answer my own questions for anyone wondering down the line:

1. No, you can't get it as a separate part.
2. It doesn't look like this is possible. The car apparently doesn't support the defroster, but the cruise control should still work OK without it. If I find any info to the contrary, I'll update this post.

Last edited by Pyronaut; 02-27-2024 at 12:15 AM.