Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XPEL STEALTH for MAGNO paint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 05:00 PM

Received 191 Likes on 147 Posts
/////PRO
Check Suntek. Before doing my car, did tons of research and visual inspections, Suntek was “clearest” to my eye, and less color manipulation than the rest of brands.....again, to my eye.
The following users liked this post:
Markjayw (10-06-2019)
Old 02-23-2018, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 635 Likes on 379 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe AMG GLC 63s Coupe
I did my entire GTS magno in Xpel..
Stickboy (06-15-2020)
Old 03-12-2018, 01:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 CLS63-S
Originally Posted by Vic55
Its OEM paint called Daytona Gray Matte Effect. The car itself is my 2nd RS7 and yes its tuned. Its the Performance Edition so it has 605 hp and 553 tq stock but the tune blows those numbers up in a huge way. Unfortunately I only have basic 91 octane here so I dont see the types of gains that even 93 let alone race gas will show (the best tune only car ran like 10.4 at 133 mph on 104). The car has advanced over my 14 with better suspension (less fluff and roll) and much less understeer in dynamic mode. Its an unbelievable stop light and rolling racer with the tune plus it emits some great exhaust notes too. Im very happy with this purchase plus its rather luxurious inside. Its not as fast from 0-60 as my departed Turbo S but it can give the GTS a run for its money because with AWD it just launches with no mistake. The GTS (tuned) is still faster up top but not by much Ill bet and the RS7 feels more planted at higher speed with his longer track and weight. It is a bit of a porker at 4500 lbs but I have no expectation of this car handling the corners like a GTS or a C63 BS.

And there is no aftermarket matte wrap that can meet or come close to the quality of the OEM car. Up close my paint has a pearl effect as well, which cant be duplicated with Stealth.

Here is another pic with the Stealth applied:

Vic, what portions again on this pic is pfp'd?
Old 03-12-2018, 01:35 PM

2017 CLS63-S
Originally Posted by str8blst
Here is mine under different types of lighting.... Xpel Stealth.. photos taken with Iphone X

Xpel Stealth...

Indoors under low light...

Outdoors....
Is your who car stealth or parts?

ps - great pics btw...
Old 03-12-2018, 03:11 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
18 AMG GTR
Originally Posted by NL007
Is your who car stealth or parts?

ps - great pics btw...
Not sure I undertsand the question.. but the whole car front to back is wrapped in stealth....
Old 03-12-2018, 04:07 PM

2017 CLS63-S
Originally Posted by str8blst
Not sure I undertsand the question.. but the whole car front to back is wrapped in stealth....
I see. The question was more related to some of the other topics whereby ppl are coveraing the hood and parts, and comparing if one can see the difference on the covered vs uncovered portions. In your case, that is irrelevant as the whole car is covered.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:42 AM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
McLaren 12C Spider | Lamborghini Superleggera | Porsche 997.2 TT | Cayenne TT | AMG GTS
I have my GTR and GTS both magno paints covered in Xpel Matte film. They are covered bumper to bumper and nobody can tell they have PPF. I cover all of my cars bumper to bumper in PPF.
NL007 (03-20-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 11:20 AM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
SLS AMG BS, G63, GT-R and others.
Vic, was your bumper repainted?

We got bored of gloss white and had the Xpel Stealth applied on our FF. It came out awesome.

The following 3 users liked this post by RuckIt:
Markjayw (10-06-2019), NL007 (03-24-2018), Stickboy (06-15-2020)
Old 05-29-2018, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GTR, GLE 63s, McLaren 12c Spider
What to do on selenite grey Magno GTR???

Hello everyone. I’m a first timer on this thread. I too have concerns with the paint protection that came up recently. I have a GTR arriving this week. It is the selenite grey magno. I recently saw an E series in this grey magno with film I believe to be the SunTek that cover the front 24” of good and fender. There was a clear and I’d say striking difference in the film areas vs the OEM paint. The magno was in my estimation so much more alive more satin and reflective in nature than the cover front portions. Perhaps the people that have covers their entire cars with this film wether it be Xpel stealth or the matte SunTek don’t realize or see that it definitely dulls down the appearance. I’m sure it still looks great but I can’t help think that it takes away something overall. Any advise is welcomed towards what I should do??? Thank to everyone who responds. Jay
Old 05-29-2018, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
After taking the advice of another GHM owner who had tried both Suntek and Xpel Stealth on his GTR, I also went with the Xpel product as I really do think it maintains the original ‘colour’ and tint of the matte paint better than the Suntek. I however had the whole car covered in it for as much protection as possible.

Bish
Old 05-29-2018, 10:45 AM

Thanks Bish for that. Anyone take the Xpel to just fender front ending at the door and see any difference in sheen or colour on their Magno paint? Thanks Jay
Old 05-29-2018, 11:29 AM

Received 678 Likes on 360 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
Originally Posted by Malibujay
Thanks Bish for that. Anyone take the Xpel to just fender front ending at the door and see any difference in sheen or colour on their Magno paint? Thanks Jay
Hello, neighbor. Let me know when your GTR arrives and we'll have a Malibu get together.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:33 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
GLE 350d
Originally Posted by Malibujay
Hello everyone. I’m a first timer on this thread. I too have concerns with the paint protection that came up recently. I have a GTR arriving this week. It is the selenite grey magno. I recently saw an E series in this grey magno with film I believe to be the SunTek that cover the front 24” of good and fender. There was a clear and I’d say striking difference in the film areas vs the OEM paint. The magno was in my estimation so much more alive more satin and reflective in nature than the cover front portions. Perhaps the people that have covers their entire cars with this film wether it be Xpel stealth or the matte SunTek don’t realize or see that it definitely dulls down the appearance. I’m sure it still looks great but I can’t help think that it takes away something overall. Any advise is welcomed towards what I should do??? Thank to everyone who responds. Jay
I have an Edition 50 with Graphite Grey Magno paint and did not notice a difference in appearance with XPEL Stealth. The car still shines and does a great job of showing depth when light hits it. My installer mentioned that, if anything, as he was installing and could compare neighbouring panels, he found that the Xpel added a hint of satin or sheen to the car, that made it look less flat and made the paint pop a bit. I ended up going with the full wrap because I figured I'm just as likely to have my door dinged by a neighbouring car in a parking lot as I am to take a rock chip, and would be annoyed if an unprotected part of the car got damaged. It isn't cheap to wrap the whole car but given the cost of the car, it seems like a reasonable and relative expense.
Surge (10-05-2019)
Old 05-30-2018, 01:58 PM

Thanks for the feedback from your edition 50! Much appreciated. Jay
Old 10-05-2019, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 412 Likes on 288 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Originally Posted by okbarnett
you can turn any paint to matte by applying the matte clear film. It will look exactly like the factory matte paints.
Totally incorrect. Go and check out the factory Magno paint and then check out a matte look film. The film is smooth, so it’s impossible to match the look of the unsmooth clear coat applied at the factory.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 437 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Surge
Totally incorrect. Go and check out the factory Magno paint and then check out a matte look film. The film is smooth, so it’s impossible to match the look of the unsmooth clear coat applied at the factory.
I'd be shocked if that user checks this thread considering he posted that comment 2 years ago. XD
Old 10-05-2019, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Orcbolg
I'd be shocked if that user checks this thread considering he posted that comment 2 years ago. XD
Yes, me too ;0) Just wanted to correct some fake news.

I’m about to get my GTC in Magno Selenite Grey fully wrapped in XPEL.
Owners with Magno are very brave souls to not get their cars fully wrapped. I had a Tenorite Grey Metallic C63 for almost 5 years and the elements wreaked havoc on the paint.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Yes, me too ;0) Just wanted to correct some fake news.

I’m about to get my GTC in Magno Selenite Grey fully wrapped in XPEL.
Owners with Magno are very brave souls to not get their cars fully wrapped. I had a Tenorite Grey Metallic C63 for almost 5 years and the elements wreaked havoc on the paint.
Yeah, I wish that the previous owner of mine in Selenite Grey Magno would have wrapped it in ppf, and after living with it for a few months before wrapping it myself, I'd likely never elect to own another magno painted car, and would just go aftermarket if I wanted a satin finish.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 C300 coupe
Hello,
About to buy a '17 C300 with the Magno Selenite Grey and the paint is pretty much flawless. I live in the Charlotte, NC area and the car is always garaged (at night and weekends). I'm **** about keeping my cars in perfect paint condition (black cars). I am a little concerned because I can't take my DA polisher and "fix" paint flaws. I've read in other threads that owners say the paint is extremely durable and they don't go way out the way to care for it. I would wash it with proper chemicals for matte paint and use a foam canon and super soft wash mitt. Nothing but the finest micro fiber cloths after using my leaf blower to remove water first.
Do you feel that I should still get the whole car wrapped with XPEL? I'd rather not have to pay the price and was thinking of only doing the front end.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dondeziner
Hello,
About to buy a '17 C300 with the Magno Selenite Grey and the paint is pretty much flawless. I live in the Charlotte, NC area and the car is always garaged (at night and weekends). I'm **** about keeping my cars in perfect paint condition (black cars). I am a little concerned because I can't take my DA polisher and "fix" paint flaws. I've read in other threads that owners say the paint is extremely durable and they don't go way out the way to care for it. I would wash it with proper chemicals for matte paint and use a foam canon and super soft wash mitt. Nothing but the finest micro fiber cloths after using my leaf blower to remove water first.
Do you feel that I should still get the whole car wrapped with XPEL? I'd rather not have to pay the price and was thinking of only doing the front end.
Yes, I think XPEL is a MUST. Front end on any paint finish, really. I made the mistake of not doing any PPF on my C63 (which had metallic gloss paint), and I really regretted it. After just 1 year, the front end looked like it had been sandblasted.

The issue with matte is if it gets scratched, you are looking at a much larger bill to repaint, rather than buff. For that reason, I would PPF the entire car.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by Dondeziner
Hello,
If nothing else, do wrap the front/hood. While everyday maint of the finish is fairly easy and straight forward, the finish is very soft compared to normal clear coated paints, and will chip. The other issue that can arise is that the magno paint is more likely to chip off in larger pieces than would normally occur with indentations from rocks on clear coat, and filling in these rock chips is impossible to blend.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It’s Not correct that Magno paint is softer than glossy paint. This has been proven multiple times (eg check out Remove Before Race’s YT episode on matte paint).

The stupid BMW Frozen paint was softer than traditional paint when it came out. Not sure if they fixed it. But MB Magno was never softer. Actually, the consensus is that it’s harder and more resistant.

But do wrap at least the front sections. It’s a must with any paint.
ZephyrAMG (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
It’s Not correct that Magno paint is softer than glossy paint. This has been proven multiple times (eg check out Remove Before Race’s YT episode on matte paint).

The stupid BMW Frozen paint was softer than traditional paint when it came out. Not sure if they fixed it. But MB Magno was never softer. Actually, the consensus is that it’s harder and more resistant.

But do wrap at least the front sections. It’s a must with any paint.
Having lived with it unprotected, and after talking with many body shops in my area who deal with, I can tell you that you're wrong. That said, it is much less prone to show swirls, which is a lovely benefit.

Also, see below:

Originally Posted by C3504matic
Ok...hate to break the bad news but the OP is wrong . I work for Mercedes Benz in one of their Body Shops , a newer 32 million dollar facility . We paint more magno coloured vehicles in a month than most bodyshops see in a a year . For us these colours are a very difficult as it's far more work and we never paint just one panel we paint the entire side including up into the roof rails if doing a scratch on 1 panel or multiple . Saying you can blend within the panel and single panel paint is just plain wrong at this time .I am in a area that has one of the highest percentages of high end Mercedes in all of North America and I have yet to see a shop that can panel paint it without the colour being off or noticeable . We see lots of repairs completed by other shops and end up at ours .......99% of painters cannot just panel paint the colour . There are newer techniques that have come out but again we have failed to find anything better than what we are already doing . The charge is also 50% higher than standard base/clear .

Last edited by Orcbolg; 10-07-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Orcbolg
Having lived with it unprotected, and after talking with many body shops in my area who deal with, I can tell you that you're wrong. That said, it is much less prone to show swirls, which is a lovely benefit.
Everything I've read disagrees with your view... but it doesn't matter. Where we both agree is that PPF must be applied - especially in the front!
Old 10-07-2019, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Everything I've read disagrees with your view... but it doesn't matter. Where we both agree is that PPF must be applied - especially in the front!
For everyone's benefit I added a quote from someone who actually works with the stuff, for extra information on ownership and things to consider.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: XPEL STEALTH for MAGNO paint