Sponsored by:

How to buy a GTR?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GTR in waiting
GTR "market adjustment"

First - a big thanks to the MBWorld forum for the information that has been posted during the wait on my GTR. From this forum I have been using my dealer to confirm information I learned here - and I knew more than they did throughout the process.

I ordered my GTR last October, the day my dealer received an allocation. Paid the deposit, created the build and waited - the car arrived at the Brunswick VPC in late April. A month ago I got the sticker from the dealer and the price was right where we figured it would be when they finally released the MSRP. Today I received a call from my sales associate to tell me he still did not have a date for shipment from the VPC (but from MBworld I knew they were doing software updates as of early last week). Then he started to tell me that he had heard from other sales guys at other MB dealerships who knew that he was waiting on the GTR that they had seen a "Market Adjustment" of $50,000 within the group. He said that would put his GM in a hard position if he were offered that so, "not that it would happen" but it might. What?

I understand this market adjustment in a car that was not sold or one that the buyer dropped out of for one reason or another, but can they do this on a car I ordered a year ago? I have contacted MBUSA for clarification but since it was just through the Contact at the website not sure how much priority it will receive.

Any good information or experience would be appreciated.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:35 PM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
Dealer BS, you should definitely complain although you may not have a satisfactory recourse.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 950 Likes on 571 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
If you have a signed purchase contract from a dealer principle stating MSRP and you paid the required deposit, the dealership is legally bound to sell it to you for MSRP.

if they won’t; obtain legal counsel.

Bish
Old 10-16-2017, 10:24 PM

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
GT3
Talked to another dealer today in another state. He checked to see if they had an allocation. They did not. But he did try to dupe me like all other shady salesmen. He said he could put in an order (not a real one obviously). All I had to do was put down $20,000 deposit. And he would place the order for me and sit on his thumb and hope an allocation eventually shows up. BS. Shady as all hell. I told him that once he gets a confirmed allocation. In writing. To give me a call and I'll gladly put a deposit down. But that if all he has is a fake order, to get bent.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 GTR Pro, 2019 GT63S, 2016 XC90 Polestar Tune, 1967 911s
Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Talked to another dealer today in another state. He checked to see if they had an allocation. They did not. But he did try to dupe me like all other shady salesmen. He said he could put in an order (not a real one obviously). All I had to do was put down $20,000 deposit. And he would place the order for me and sit on his thumb and hope an allocation eventually shows up. BS. Shady as all hell. I told him that once he gets a confirmed allocation. In writing. To give me a call and I'll gladly put a deposit down. But that if all he has is a fake order, to get bent.
Are you in CA? I can put you in touch with my guy if you are serious about ordering a car. I put a $5k deposit down last July, filled out a spec sheet, in Dec, car got built in March, delivered to port on 5/15, I picked it up on 10/7. MB was in contact with me monthly on the status of my build and the status of the car at the port, all the way up to the day I picked it up. I did the same thing for a GT C Ed 50, that car is at the port waiting on a buyer as I passed on it, but same situation, they sent me monthly updates on the build status and delivery schedule.
The following users liked this post:
cyberorth (10-19-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 04:50 PM

GT3
Originally Posted by just1zero
Are you in CA? I can put you in touch with my guy if you are serious about ordering a car. I put a $5k deposit down last July, filled out a spec sheet, in Dec, car got built in March, delivered to port on 5/15, I picked it up on 10/7. MB was in contact with me monthly on the status of my build and the status of the car at the port, all the way up to the day I picked it up. I did the same thing for a GT C Ed 50, that car is at the port waiting on a buyer as I passed on it, but same situation, they sent me monthly updates on the build status and delivery schedule.
I responded to your PM, thanks.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
The dealer will not show me anything in writing. I've asked multiple times.
as Just1zero said you should talk to other dealers and if you need I can introduce you to my contact in So Cal as well.
My Opinion is that if you have placed a deposit at that dealer collect it asap. They don't deserve your business.
This to many is somewhat of an emotional process as well, as it is a very big purchase and not all of us are bazilionaires. it is very disrespectful and unprofessional of a dealer to scam its way through a sale like this.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by just1zero
That is not a GTC couple by any chance. Is it?
Old 10-19-2017, 10:40 AM

GT3
Originally Posted by cyberorth
as Just1zero said you should talk to other dealers and if you need I can introduce you to my contact in So Cal as well.
My Opinion is that if you have placed a deposit at that dealer collect it asap. They don't deserve your business.
This to many is somewhat of an emotional process as well, as it is a very big purchase and not all of us are bazilionaires. it is very disrespectful and unprofessional of a dealer to scam its way through a sale like this.
I now have deposits at three different dealers. One is the place mentioned here that says I have a confirmed allocation with a delivery date in January but won't show me anything in writing. The other two have no allocations but I'm on a waiting list. So we'll see what happens.

I went to a local dealer yesterday that has a GTR spec'd out almost exactly how I want it. The car is there on the floor. But they wan $25K over sticker so I said no.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
I now have deposits at three different dealers. One is the place mentioned here that says I have a confirmed allocation with a delivery date in January but won't show me anything in writing. The other two have no allocations but I'm on a waiting list. So we'll see what happens.

I went to a local dealer yesterday that has a GTR spec'd out almost exactly how I want it. The car is there on the floor. But they wan $25K over sticker so I said no.
If you like that car, offer MSRP and tell them to call you. You might be surprised what happens at the end of the month.

Good luck.

Bish
Old 10-19-2017, 01:07 PM

GT3
Originally Posted by thebishman
If you like that car, offer MSRP and tell them to call you. You might be surprised what happens at the end of the month.

Good luck.

Bish
Yep, I did.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (10-19-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You might get a call on Halloween night!
Old 10-23-2017, 09:31 PM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
Yep, I did.
Good luck and hopefully Happy Halloween haha.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:44 PM

GT3
Originally Posted by cyberorth
You might get a call on Halloween night!
I've been bombarded with calls from dealers this week. 4 have told me they have a GTR available right now. But like $30K over sticker. They say oh it's in demand and hard to find. BS. They are just sitting on the lot right now because so many people backed out due to the long delay. But dealers are trying to artificially inflate the market. I told them to give me a call if they suddenly see reason lol.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 219 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
Autotrader has some GTRs in California @$259k! That’s insane
Old 10-24-2017, 12:07 AM

GT3
Originally Posted by thecutter64
Autotrader has some GTRs in California @$259k! That’s insane
Yeah I don't get it. For that coin I'd get a Lambo or McLaren or something more exotic. The GTR is attractive because it's under $200K.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:24 AM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G63 & 991.2 GT3 & AMG GT
Yeah I don't get it. For that coin I'd get a Lambo or McLaren or something more exotic. The GTR is attractive because it's under $200K.
The GT range has become pretty crowded, so I would agree that any artificial stretching of the upper most price point should not be for the faint hearted
Old 10-24-2017, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
For those willing to wait, the winter will bring you at end of Q1 2018 below MRSP GTRs. .
Old 10-24-2017, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by emericr
For those willing to wait, the winter will bring you at end of Q1 2018 below MRSP GTRs. .
excellent point. 1/2 of North America will be on freeze mode.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:31 PM

GT3
Originally Posted by emericr
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping. But are you talking about an order or one on the lot? I'm trying to order one so I get the options I want
Old 10-25-2017, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 S
The local Benz dealer (Well, Canada here, snow soon) they have one extra stock GTR, in green as well ...

I wonder since every GTR I have seen, are Green, may be they were spec'd from MB? so each dealer will have a Green one?

7/8 month ago, I wanted to order one, but the dealer told me all sold, 4/5/6 people in front of me .. etc etc, but this is the second dealer told me they have a Green one available .. so I suspect those are factory "spec'd" cars, as MB want to see more Green one on the road?

Same as that G wagon 4x4 .. all dealer have a ugly neon yellow one ...

Since information is very limited in Canada compare to US, may be you guys will know better..

(don't think I will jump on it .. ordered something else ... *_* )
Old 10-25-2017, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by piano
The local Benz dealer (Well, Canada here, snow soon) they have one extra stock GTR, in green as well ...

I wonder since every GTR I have seen, are Green, may be they were spec'd from MB? so each dealer will have a Green one?

7/8 month ago, I wanted to order one, but the dealer told me all sold, 4/5/6 people in front of me .. etc etc, but this is the second dealer told me they have a Green one available .. so I suspect those are factory "spec'd" cars, as MB want to see more Green one on the road?

Same as that G wagon 4x4 .. all dealer have a ugly neon yellow one ...

Since information is very limited in Canada compare to US, may be you guys will know better..

(don't think I will jump on it .. ordered something else ... *_* )
As others have mentioned in previous posts, I think many of these cars are orders that were then refused whilst the cars languished in the VPCs for many months. Either someone just got tired of waiting, or decided on something else, or was afraid that the cars ‘might’ have suffered somehow during those months.

Re: colour. The Mango Green is kind of the signature colour given that every pre-production car that the press drove seemed to be that colour; hence loads of them ordered that way.

Bish
Old 10-25-2017, 10:17 PM

GT3
All the dealers I've spoken to have a "recommended" options/spec sheet from corporate. They basically list out the ideal specs for each model. For the GTR, it is the green, yellow stitching on the interior, yellow seatbelts, etc.

Personally, I think it's rather ugly. But I haven't seen a green one in person. Just Selenite.

The GTRs that are available here in California... not sure why they are available. One or two were from buyers backing out for whatever reason. Some of the others never had a buyer.

One dealer reached out to me saying they have one available. It's hot hot hot. $35K over. They were like, you want it? I said not unless you come down on the price. They balked and said oh it's in demand, there are 7 people in line for this one. I said what? 7 people in line for a car you have on the lot that you are offering me? What about the other 7 people? And if it's in such a high demand that you are charging $35K over sticker, why are you having such a hard time moving it? No response lol.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 10-25-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:31 AM

Received 663 Likes on 349 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
Old 10-26-2017, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 S
Wow .. Even high demanding .. max .. max is at MSRP, they are not as "limited" as expected, (Black series coming?) but they are actually much better value than expected as well, price is somewhat $15-20K less than I expected (~$160-180K US/$190-210K cad) was thinking $210K-215K cad with the spec I want, but turn out just over $190K ..
If I knew that I don't have to wait for that long (was told at least 1 year!) I probably would buy one .. (but bought something else now ..Ops!)

$35K over MSRP is crazy .. some Audi dealer is also charging $20K over MSRP for the new limited RWS R8 .. I guess they just wanna to copy Porsche!

All the dealers I've spoken to have a "recommended" options/spec sheet from corporate. They basically list out the ideal specs for each model. For the GTR, it is the green, yellow stitching on the interior, yellow seatbelts, etc.

Personally, I think it's rather ugly. But I haven't seen a green one in person. Just Selenite.

The GTRs that are available here in California... not sure why they are available. One or two were from buyers backing out for whatever reason. Some of the others never had a buyer.

One dealer reached out to me saying they have one available. It's hot hot hot. $35K over. They were like, you want it? I said not unless you come down on the price. They balked and said oh it's in demand, there are 7 people in line for this one. I said what? 7 people in line for a car you have on the lot that you are offering me? What about the other 7 people? And if it's in such a high demand that you are charging $35K over sticker, why are you having such a hard time moving it? No response lol.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to buy a GTR?