Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to buy a GTR?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 02:34 PM

Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts
/////PRO
If someone is serious about buying one, there is a January production slot allocation available in Chicago-land area at a dealer in which I know well. I don’t want to send people to a specific sales person I know well if just tire kicking, but if you want a slot you can order and are serious, send me a PM. Great sales person who will provide a great experience, and be open and honest about anything.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (10-27-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 12:10 PM

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
GT3
Guys, I'm about to say screw it and just get a Lambo or something. I'm tired of being jerked around by MB dealers.

I spoke to someone who can check to see if certain dealers do or do not have allocations they claim they do. And the dealer I have a deposit with who says they have one but won't show me anything in writing doesn't actually have one. They are liars.

And another dealer who someone here referred me to, who has an allocation, said it was available on Friday. But wanted me to do a financing/credit app, saying it's required to verify my identity so I don't "steel the car." That makes zero sense. This is just a deposit. They aren't going to ship me a car without me paying for it first. That's ridiculous. Now the sales manager I finally was able to speak with just told me that no, the car is not available. Someone else already has a deposit with it. They are "in Australia and flying in this week to decide if they want it or not." What? The car doesn't exist yet. It's just an allocation. Why does some dude need to fly in from another country to stop into the dealership to decide if they want the car or not? This is so strange.

Maybe I just don't understand how buying a car works lol. I figure it's like buying anything else. I've got money. You've got a product. Easy.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:35 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Too Many
Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Guys, I'm about to say screw it and just get a Lambo or something. I'm tired of being jerked around by MB dealers.

I spoke to someone who can check to see if certain dealers do or do not have allocations they claim they do. And the dealer I have a deposit with who says they have one but won't show me anything in writing doesn't actually have one. They are liars.

And another dealer who someone here referred me to, who has an allocation, said it was available on Friday. But wanted me to do a financing/credit app, saying it's required to verify my identity so I don't "steel the car." That makes zero sense. This is just a deposit. They aren't going to ship me a car without me paying for it first. That's ridiculous. Now the sales manager I finally was able to speak with just told me that no, the car is not available. Someone else already has a deposit with it. They are "in Australia and flying in this week to decide if they want it or not." What? The car doesn't exist yet. It's just an allocation. Why does some dude need to fly in from another country to stop into the dealership to decide if they want the car or not? This is so strange.

Maybe I just don't understand how buying a car works lol. I figure it's like buying anything else. I've got money. You've got a product. Easy.
Supply / Demand. It's pretty simple. Trying to find them right now is tough...you're late to the game. You can go buy something from another brand (you mention Lambo--ton of those available so can have tomorrow no worries). Wait and try and get an allocation. Or lastly, there are about a dozen out there for sale.

Other than that, if you want a hot car, it won't be easy.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:44 PM

GT3
Originally Posted by texex91
Supply / Demand. It's pretty simple. Trying to find them right now is tough...you're late to the game. You can go buy something from another brand (you mention Lambo--ton of those available so can have tomorrow no worries). Wait and try and get an allocation. Or lastly, there are about a dozen out there for sale.

Other than that, if you want a hot car, it won't be easy.
Yeah I get the demand thing and being late to the game, so to speak. My issue here is that dealers are flat out lying to me. Come 2018, I bet more will be available. We'll see.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 10-31-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:48 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Too Many
Yeah I get the demand thing and being late to the game, so to speak. My issue here is that dealers are flat out lying to me.
LOL. Yes. This is the car business...you better get use to it.

Before I got into the GT3 cycle with a dealer, it was tough. Same with Ferrari.

You have to start somewhere, but if you're calling CA dealers only, you might want to revise your plans.

No matter the brand, wanting the hottest car will require patience. There is a reason you can get a Lambo tomorrow or a 570. Yes, if you wait 6-9 months it will be easier, but there will also be some new flavor everyone will want.

Dealers (not all) can and will lie. Just like anything in life, move on and find another. No one is going to hold your hand or beg you to buy their car--they don't care. Why? Because you and 500 other people want the same thing.

Good luck.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:55 PM

GT3
Originally Posted by texex91
LOL. Yes. This is the car business...you better get use to it.

Before I got into the GT3 cycle with a dealer, it was tough. Same with Ferrari.

You have to start somewhere, but if you're calling CA dealers only, you might want to revise your plans.

No matter the brand, wanted the hottest car will require patience. There is a reason you can get a Lambo tomorrow or a 570.

Dealers (not all) can and will lie. Just like anything in life, move on and find another. No one is going to hold your hand or beg you to buy their car--they don't care. Why? Because you and 500 other people want the same thing.

Good luck.
No, I'm calling dealers everywhere. People on this forum are PM'ing me because of this thread with leads like, "Hey my guy over at Dealer XYZ is good and they have an allocation available." But none of the leads have really panned out yet. I truly appreciate the help, though!
Old 10-31-2017, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sti :(
Not sure if this interests you. But we have a GTR in Green Hell Magno in-stock. However I'm all the way in the east coast. PM me if you are interested!
Old 10-31-2017, 01:10 PM

GT3
Originally Posted by Ahan
Not sure if this interests you. But we have a GTR in Green Hell Magno in-stock. However I'm all the way in the east coast. PM me if you are interested!
Thanks for the offer! I'm looking for a build allocation. For $200K, I deserve to be picky
Old 10-31-2017, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sti :(
Thanks for the offer! I'm looking for a build allocation. For $200K, I deserve to be picky
Not a problem! For sure, I don't blame you on specing it out the way you want. Good luck!
Old 10-31-2017, 01:45 PM

Received 663 Likes on 349 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
Not only that, but if you live in California you should buy in California. To take advantage of California's very strong Lemon Laws.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:10 PM

GT3
Originally Posted by MalibuScott
Not only that, but if you live in California you should buy in California. To take advantage of California's very strong Lemon Laws.
Well if there are none in CA, then I can't really do anything about it. But that is a good point.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:38 PM

GT3
Ok, found another confirmed allocation with a PO number. The guy who ordered it backed out and it's available. January production.

The hitch? More dealer BS. The dealership will only sell it to me if they put a 12-month lien on it????? WTF. They say it's to prevent someone from turning around and selling the car out of the country or something. Seems weird. They also say they have to be the ones to register the vehicle in my home town, not me? I don't know WTF is is wrong with these people. Does this sound normal to y'all?

If I drop $200K+ in cash on a car why in god's name would I allow the dealer to attach a lien to the title? It's my car. I bought it outright. Not with a loan or financing.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 11-06-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:58 PM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 AMG GT
Ok, found another confirmed allocation with a PO number. The guy who ordered it backed out and it's available. January production.

The hitch? More dealer BS. The dealership will only sell it to me if they put a 12-month lien on it????? WTF. They say it's to prevent someone from turning around and selling the car out of the country or something. Seems weird. They also say they have to be the ones to register the vehicle in my home town, not me? I don't know WTF is is wrong with these people. Does this sound normal to y'all?

If I drop $200K+ in cash on a car why in god's name would I allow the dealer to attach a lien to the title? It's my car. I bought it outright. Not with a loan or financing.

With several AMG cars, I have signed an agreement stating I will not sell the car out of the country. This was a simple 1-page form signed along with all of the other finance papers.
I would just make a simple counter offer. Say no, car titled to me, I sign agreement promising to not sell the car outside of US, I am offering full MSRP. Please call me back if we can do a deal. Thank you. Bye.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:59 PM

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts
AMG GTR, G63, Mclaren 675 LT S, 991 GT3 RS, 991 GT3, many more

I have had dealers ask me to take paper on a hot car, but I could pay off in 30 days no penalty. I am sure they mean they have to process the TTL, not you. This is normal for new cars, it is legal reasons, different than a used car where you just take title. You will probably also have to sign a no export for 1 yr, also normal.

I assume you haven't bought a new car in a while?
Old 11-06-2017, 04:29 PM

GT3
Originally Posted by fastmd
I have had dealers ask me to take paper on a hot car, but I could pay off in 30 days no penalty. I am sure they mean they have to process the TTL, not you. This is normal for new cars, it is legal reasons, different than a used car where you just take title. You will probably also have to sign a no export for 1 yr, also normal.

I assume you haven't bought a new car in a while?
No, the dealership's exact words are: We will only sell the car to you if you agree to a 12-month lien. I am paying cash. No loan. No financing.

But yes, this will be my second car I've ever owned. The first one I walked in and bought one on the lot and drove off with it a few days later. Didn't have to go through all the BS.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:42 PM

GT3
Originally Posted by guynamedsean
With several AMG cars, I have signed an agreement stating I will not sell the car out of the country. This was a simple 1-page form signed along with all of the other finance papers.
I would just make a simple counter offer. Say no, car titled to me, I sign agreement promising to not sell the car outside of US, I am offering full MSRP. Please call me back if we can do a deal. Thank you. Bye.
I'll try that, thanks. I'll agree to a contract to not re-sell the car within a year. But a lien? No way.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS

Do they want you to finance it or ?? Ive never heard of a lien placed on a paid in full collateral (if you pay cash)

Of course if they want you to finance or lease, it will be with rate markup. On the magnitude of this size (amount financed) the dealer reserve is huge (10 to 15K) even with a 70/30 bank split which MBFS charges on their leases and retail reserve payouts. But the caveat is that the dealer gets charged back for this reserve if the loan doesnt exceed 90 days so I not sure why they want you to stay for 12 months if financing was involved.

Edit: AutoNation stores just have you sign a "do not ship" clause and they do check your name on the do not ship list; certain banks have these lists.

Last edited by Vic55; 11-06-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:46 PM

2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
I had to sign an agreement I would not sell my GT out of country. On a Q3 I bought a couple of months ago for my daughter I had to finance it, but paid it off with a check for payment in full immediately after I signed the financing paperwork. I objected to the procedure but was told I had to do it that way. Pissed me off. It dinged my credit a couple of points for a month, too. I won't do that again. Next time I'll wire the money rather than pay by check. (I guess the Audi dealer was afraid the check would bounce and this gave the dealer a hook.)
Old 11-06-2017, 04:47 PM

GT3
Originally Posted by Vic55
Do they want you to finance it or ?? Ive never heard of a lien placed on a paid in full collateral (if you pay cash)

Of course if they want you to finance or lease, it will be with rate markup. On the magnitude of this size (amount financed) the dealer reserve is huge (10 to 15K) even with a 70/30 bank split which MBFS charges on their leases and retail reserve payouts. But the caveat is that the dealer gets charged back for this reserve if the loan doesnt exceed 90 days so I not sure why they want you to stay for 12 months if financing was involved.
I'd be paying cash.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:49 PM

GT3
I had to sign an agreement I would not sell my GT out of country. On a Q3 I bought a couple of months ago for my daughter I had to finance it, but paid it off with a check for payment in full immediately after I signed the financing paperwork. I objected to the procedure but was told I had to do it that way. Pissed me off. It dinged my credit a couple of points for a month, too. I won't do that again. Next time I'll wire the money rather than pay by check. (I guess the Audi dealer was afraid the check would bounce and this gave the dealer a hook.)
Yeah I'm fine with signing an no-export agreement. But I won't be forced to finance or get a loan.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Yeah I'm fine with signing an no-export agreement. But I won't be forced to finance or get a loan.
i don’t believe there is a financial instrument as a 12 month lien with no $$ amount. A lien is just that, a $$ amount against an asset.

This has got to be a a 12 month non-export that’s misinterpreted.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:02 PM

GT3
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
i don’t believe there is a financial instrument as a 12 month lien with no $$ amount. A lien is just that, a $$ amount against an asset.

This has got to be a a 12 month non-export that’s misinterpreted.
Nah, the guy said they have TWO contracts. One is a non-export. The other is a 12-month lien. Maybe he misunderstood that I would be paying cash.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:12 PM

Nah, the guy said they have TWO contracts. One is a non-export. The other is a 12-month lien. Maybe he misunderstood that I would be paying cash.
A "lien" on your vehicle for 12 months is just bizarre. Would you be willing to offer the dealer a right of first refusal to re-buy it, with a side contract? Would the dealer be satisfied with that?
Old 11-06-2017, 05:15 PM

GT3
A "lien" on your vehicle for 12 months is just bizarre. Would you be willing to offer the dealer a right of first refusal to re-buy it, with a side contract? Would the dealer be satisfied with that?
No idea. Didn't get that far. I called 'em back and said I'd be fine signing a non-export or whatever. But I will in no way agree to a lien. I understand they are trying to protect the dealership and the brand from people trying to flip the cars or whatever. And they want to make sure I'm a "real person". So I sent them my LinkedIn and personal/business website. That's really all I can do I guess.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:47 PM

GT3
Dealer's response is that they have been doing cash liens on out of state buyers—a dealer lien? But manager will get back to me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to buy a GTR?