H&R Springs anyone??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes C63 Coupe/AMG GT
H&R Springs anyone??

Hello gents,

i'm planning on putting some H&R springs on my GT and I was wondering if anyone has fitted them and if so what are your thoughts?

I've searched the forum and also the internet with no opinions or reviews so any direction would help. My car is the GT without the adaptive suspension.

thanks
Old 02-22-2017, 06:47 PM
SPONSOR

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts
G55
I would strongly suggest the KW HAS kit over the H&R springs.
The following users liked this post:
sonystyle02 (02-24-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 06:52 PM

Can you tell me what the benefits are of using the KW kit? Ideally I want to have a similar ride to what I have now. At the moment its very comfortable.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:53 PM
SPONSOR

G55
Originally Posted by Fozi.g
Can you tell me what the benefits are of using the KW kit? Ideally I want to have a similar ride to what I have now. At the moment its very comfortable.
Sending you a PM now.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:54 PM

Thank you sir!
Old 02-22-2017, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Would really like to know content of this subject?
Old 02-22-2017, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
Would really like to know content of this subject?
From the information I was kindly given the KW Has Kit has a far superior suspension feel to the H&R. and they are fully adjustable. So you can choose your height. Whats really important to me is comfort. From my understanding the stock suspension is more supple than the adaptive suspension thats why I chose it. I dont want to now screw that up by getting the wrong springs!
Old 02-22-2017, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
From the information I was kindly given the KW Has Kit has a far superior suspension feel to the H&R. and they are fully adjustable. So you can choose your height. Whats really important to me is comfort. From my understanding the stock suspension is more supple than the adaptive suspension thats why I chose it. I dont want to now screw that up by getting the wrong springs!
That's exactly what my impressions were on this Subject ty for clarification.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:04 PM

Received 245 Likes on 152 Posts
Designo White AMG GTS
If your goal is to have a soft ride, KW HAS is probably the way to go.

Last edited by kumizi; 02-22-2017 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:08 AM

BMW M6
I highly doubt KW are superior to H&R, tbh i don't even think it's any better, just the fact that you can adjust height KW, so if H&R height is good for you, you can safely get it, it costs more to install kw and 3X the price of the suspension itself, it's just vendors get much more commission out of KW that's why the misinform you so much. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by michail_g6
I highly doubt KW are superior to H&R, tbh i don't even think it's any better, just the fact that you can adjust height KW, so if H&R height is good for you, you can safely get it, it costs more to install kw and 3X the price of the suspension itself, it's just vendors get much more commission out of KW that's why the misinform you so much. Thanks.
This is the feedback I'm getting from various parties. I'd really like someone who has the H&R's fitted to chime in and give there opinion.

As you say the KW's do cost 3 times more than the H&R's but they have the added benefit of being adjustable. Don't know whether that alone would warrant the price difference. As I said earlier I want to retain the comfort whichever direction I go. In my eyes the car looks like it's on stilts at present so want to pull the trigger sooner rather than later. Just don't want to make a mistake and then have to backtrack.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
The HAS is just a spring set that can be compressed to lower and raise the height. The key is in the spring rates themselves and are they progressive in nature. I have had over 8 sets of KW's in my life and even more H&R's and Ive always felt that the progressive springs from KW are actually more comfortable over soft undulations while firming up at speed. With the KW's, because of the spring rates, you can really drop the car (even more than the H&R fixed levels) and still retain the comfort and enjoy the performance too.

The H&R's are a fixed height set up and most of the springs I had made my cars more bouncy in both slower bumps and higher speed bends/turns. Of course the only true way to see what spring is better is to try them both on but who is willing to do that LOL.

Disclaimer: my experiences only but tangible to my ownership and extensive sampling of both. And the cars' shocks play a large role. I do have one set of H&R's in my current lineup: Turbo S and they are actually great but I did a lot of research and asked a lot of questions with owners who had them plus I test drove a car first.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vic55:
California John (02-24-2017), Cylinder Head (01-27-2020)
Old 02-24-2017, 12:34 PM

Thanks Vic. That's the thing I would love to hear from someone that's actually got a set fitted to there car. Like you said you have a set of H&R's on your Turbo S but after extensive research. I like to do the same but can't really get an opinion from anyone that's fitted them. Don't know whether that's a sign and I should follow the crowd and go for the KW's. Although that's certainly not my style and I like to evaluate each product on its merits. I'm not really concerned about the cost factor. I think at this level we can afford to go that little extra to get the right product.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:22 PM
Administrator

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Thanks Vic. That's the thing I would love to hear from someone that's actually got a set fitted to there car. Like you said you have a set of H&R's on your Turbo S but after extensive research. I like to do the same but can't really get an opinion from anyone that's fitted them. Don't know whether that's a sign and I should follow the crowd and go for the KW's. Although that's certainly not my style and I like to evaluate each product on its merits. I'm not really concerned about the cost factor. I think at this level we can afford to go that little extra to get the right product.
So here are the cars that Ive had KW's on (HAS) and I slammed them all or pushed the drop beyond the H&R level:

2012 CLS63
2012 E63
2012 Ferrari FF (Novitec)
2014 RS7
2014 Ferrari 458 (Novitec)
2015 Lamborghini (Novitec-yes the Novitec springs are private labeled KWs)
2016 M4
2016 M5
2017 C63S

All of these cars felt excellent after the drops (over 1.5 inches on all front and rear) and were very compliant over harsh bumps and planted at higher speeds (plus 100 mph). Now of course comfort does change but Im ok with that. The dampeners also play a key role as I mentioned above but these cars were or are great. The only one that sometimes made me wondering was the RS7 (a little too bouncy).
Old 02-24-2017, 01:29 PM
SPONSOR

G55
Originally Posted by michail_g6

i'm curious how you are coming up with such a statement? Have you ever driven a KW HAS vs H&R AMG GT? There is a reason KW costs what it does. There is definitely some AMG tax on there but for something as important as suspension it is surely worth the money.
The following users liked this post:
Patric (02-25-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 04:52 PM

I think after the responses i've seen and read at present i'm more inclined to go with the KW's. No one can give a definitive on the H&R's which makes me think there possibly not the right ones for this car.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:20 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
cars and stuff
I've had H&Rs and KW adjustables on numerous cars as well. I can't say I've noticed any significant difference in ride quality between the two and certainly not enough to justify the price difference between the two. Once the KWs are on they generally aren't easy to adjust either, you have to take at least some of the wheels off on most applications and I don't want to deal with that. For my personal preference any perceived advantage in ride quality in the KWs is not enough to justify the price premium.

All that being said, I have no intentions of changing the suspension on the GT because I can barely get it into my building at it's current height, so I can't offer any opinion specifically related to the GT just past experience with 20-25 vehicles lowered with one or the other (and probably the occasional eibach kit back in the day lol). Of my current cars with modified suspensions one has KWs and the other two have H&Rs.

Last edited by boosting1bar; 02-24-2017 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Imagine if both springs were made by same manufacturer and just labeled different...
Old 02-25-2017, 10:53 AM
Administrator

I think after the responses i've seen and read at present i'm more inclined to go with the KW's. No one can give a definitive on the H&R's which makes me think there possibly not the right ones for this car.
Oh and how stupid I am to forget that I have KW's on my GTS

Again the compression and rebound rates (spring rates) actually made the car more endurable, for a lack of a better word, as well as my C63S. The C63S has a gut wrenching taut suspension and the dampeners are the culprit but once the KW's went on the car became more compliant and actually a better handler. The GTS probably didn't realize such a dramatic improvement as the C63S but the magnetorheological shocks probably are the difference.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by emericr
Imagine if both springs were made by same manufacturer and just labeled different...
But we all know that to not be the case .

Imagine if all the wheels being sold today were made by one builder; there was a time when Ronal owned the wheel segment from a build aspect making 1 of every 3 oem wheels on certain German brands.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
So where are both made?
On the wheel side, the cores are really only coming from a few sources and the milling is done by each manufacturer so even there, there is very little difference between them.

Originally Posted by Vic55
But we all know that to not be the case .

Imagine if all the wheels being sold today were made by one builder; there was a time when Ronal owned the wheel segment from a build aspect making 1 of every 3 oem wheels on certain German brands.