Sponsored by:

Upgrade stereo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 10:13 AM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 AMG GT
Upgrade stereo

I know this isn't the first thread on this topic. I bought my GT off the showroom floor and it has a lot of great options, for a GT, but it has the base stereo, not even the lower burmeister.

I used to be unto car stereo many years ago, but now I avoid it like the plague. I typically only keep a car 12 months and I usually buy the best factory system I can get.

Anyway, I am really considering installing a better stereo in my GT, but extremely worried about someone taking my car apart and putting it back together.

I am a really bug fan of 3 channel set ups in small cars, meaning high end components in the front stage and a small sub in back. In the past I've really had good experiences with Focal speakers. I just noticed that they make a new very small amp that is designed to interface with the factory head unit with minimal electrical connections and it has the DSPs and crossovers built-in. It looks like exactly what I need for the heart of my system. It doesn't even require a direct connection to the battery.

https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/car-audio-kits-solutions/integration/plugplay/amplifiers/bass-enclosures/impulse-4320

I am still scared to install the speakers though. If I'm installs components, the mids obviously go in the kick panels, but it looks like the tweeters go in the dash. I'm very reluctant to have my interior taken apart. The build quality on my car is superb. It is tight as a drum. It's a very light car with a stiff suspension and it's totally rattle free. I'm also worried about possible electrical issues as I do not have time to be back and forth to the dealer and stereo shop, but this focal amp looks pretty straight forward. Another concern is that my car doesn't even have a single swirl mark on it.

My rational side says "don't spend any money on this and create any new problems, just order a GTC next year with a better stereo"

what do do you guys think? Does anyone even upgrade stereos in cars like this anymore and will I regret it?

Last edited by guynamedsean; 09-06-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 219 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
If you aren't keeping the car for 4-5 yrs, don't bother in the upgrade. Doubt you are taking long trips cross country in the GTS , so it's not worth it.

If you are keeping the car, go whole hog . I have Focals in my home system. Great speakers .

If ordering a GTC, just get the best stereo available . The low end Burmester has lots of distortion at higher SPL . Tested it out. That's why I upgraded the stereo on my build order.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
I was going to put in an amp and a JL audio slim sub, but I have the same apprehensions that you have and that I just didn't feel real comfortable with the installers and then got sidetracked.

The $6500 for the upgraded system isn't even for Burmester components and nobody knows who manufactured the equipment . For 3000$ you could have a system that would completely thump this factory option.

That Focal system looks much easier to install. I might try it.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:31 PM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
You're absolutely correct in worrying about introducing new electrical and structural issues with an aftermarket stereo. Installation could be highly variable. If I was a used buyer for a GTS with an aftermarket stereo, I would pass.

I'm not a huge audiophile but the High End stereo is fantastic with Hifi Tidal streaming through USB port. The accoustic differences with Bluetooth streaming are night and day. No regrets and fortunate that my off the floor GTS had this option.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:09 PM

2017 AMG GT
Yes. I agree with all of the above. I am not going to do it. My car doesn't have a single swirl in the paint. I just cannot imagine that any stereo shop is going to be careful enough. I cannot imagine that they would build a small box and amp rack without marring my car somehow. I cannot imagine they are going to disassemble and reassemble the interior correctly. I have been really impressed with the build quality of my car and I am just going to keep listening to exhaust notes instead.

I do use Tidal BTW and it sounds OK depending on what I am listening too.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:14 PM

2017 AMG GT
Originally Posted by thecutter64
If you aren't keeping the car for 4-5 yrs, don't bother in the upgrade. Doubt you are taking long trips cross country in the GTS , so it's not worth it.

If you are keeping the car, go whole hog . I have Focals in my home system. Great speakers .

If ordering a GTC, just get the best stereo available . The low end Burmester has lots of distortion at higher SPL . Tested it out. That's why I upgraded the stereo on my build order.

BTW FWIW, I also wouldn't feel comfortable letting a surgeon that calls himself "the cutter" operate on me. lol
Old 09-06-2017, 05:16 PM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
Originally Posted by guynamedsean
Yes. I agree with all of the above. I am not going to do it. My car doesn't have a single swirl in the paint. I just cannot imagine that any stereo shop is going to be careful enough. I cannot imagine that they would build a small box and amp rack without marring my car somehow. I cannot imagine they are going to disassemble and reassemble the interior correctly. I have been really impressed with the build quality of my car and I am just going to keep listening to exhaust notes instead.

I do use Tidal BTW and it sounds OK depending on what I am listening too.
Do you have the upgraded Hifi lossless Tidal streaming? The fidelity is much better. I listen to mostly EDM.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:19 PM

2017 AMG GT
Originally Posted by surfah
Do you have the upgraded Hifi lossless Tidal streaming? The fidelity is much better. I listen to mostly EDM.
I do. I just need to remember to plug into the USB more often!

I listen to rap, but also listen to The Rolling Stones, Beatles, 70's R&B etc.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:31 AM

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts
Porsche Taycan, Range Rover AB, Range Rover SVR, S Class, Mclaren 570s, Urus Hybrid (soon), M3, RS6
I don't know if this will be of any assistance or apply to you, but I had retrofitted Burmester and some 3D parts onto my car from its base system. The sound quality difference was definitely worth all of the effort which I had put in, but I do an odd 10k miles a year in the car. In order to make the system "work" with the Command system I had to have a friendly dealer who was willing to do all the coding, and I had to find all wiring diagrams, parts and install some of the speakers myself. A lot of the work was done by a shop recommended by my dealer(wasn't the most premium of shops), they did a fantastic job and their work was mostly flawless. The one issue is that the wooden trim going round the car at the front has not slotted in properly. You don't notice it unless you're looking directly above it, but you can see the gap and the inner edges of the trim. I don't have time to look into it right now. If you're doing at least 5k miles a year I would recommend it, but if you're looking at getting a GTC next year I believe that would be a much better option.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:53 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 Mercedes SLS, 2014 Mercedes SLS Black Series, 2014 E63S, 2013 S550, 2012 ML63, 2013 C250
If you are interested in a stereo that is fitted for the car so it sounds amazing and does not require any cutting to install you should contact Res Systems. Talk to Rick. If you are interested you can PM me for his cell phone. They have 2 systems available for this car. The one system is $6500 and the bigger system is $8700.00.

They custom build the speakers and the AMP's and it can easily be removed and put back to stock at the end of the lease. They are located in Orange County California v=but they also travel to all major cities at some point during the year to do installs.

If you are looking for a system that will put the Burmeister to shame than this is the system to get.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:03 PM

2017 AMG GT
Originally Posted by Staff@WORLD
If you are interested in a stereo that is fitted for the car so it sounds amazing and does not require any cutting to install you should contact Res Systems. Talk to Rick. If you are interested you can PM me for his cell phone. They have 2 systems available for this car. The one system is $6500 and the bigger system is $8700.00.

They custom build the speakers and the AMP's and it can easily be removed and put back to stock at the end of the lease. They are located in Orange County California v=but they also travel to all major cities at some point during the year to do installs.

If you are looking for a system that will put the Burmeister to shame than this is the system to get.
That's right. I have heard of Res. PM me.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:50 PM

Received 245 Likes on 152 Posts
Designo White AMG GTS
You can fit 3 way components in the stock locations and an aftermarket amp and sound processor will fit inside the stock subwoofer enclosure in the trunk. I have Hertz 3 ways and the door panels did not need to be modified. I have a JL sub in the stock location which did need to be hollowed out a little on the inside to accomadate a larger wooferbut looks factory outside.

My "stereo shop" also did my entire front end wrap and works on a ton of high end cars so having some kid disassembling my car wasn't really a concern.

Just depends if you want to spend $5000-$7000 on an audio upgrade. I believe the Burmester option was around $5000 and my car didn't come with it so it was an easy decision for me to get an even better sound system for that price I saved initially.

Last edited by kumizi; 09-09-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 AMG GT
I believe some of you are referring to Rues as opposed to Res. They are located in Orange in Orange county. I looked at them for my Tesla as they have some out of the box setups but at the price range they were asking I didn't feel all the extra was worth it. Same for the GT. I went with a simple amp and 10inch slim Alpine installed by Billy at audio toyz in ladera ranch. I also have the lowest end stereo and with the sub and adjusting I am very pleased with the sound. I paid 1300 for the setup. The interior is so small there is no need for a huge system.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAAB 9-3
If you are worried about an audio installer messing up your car, you haven't found the right installer. There are plenty of installers who work on Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, Bentley's, not to mention the highest end Mercedes, etc.. Not saying they are cheap, but they are out there, and perfectly capable of doing whatever audio work a car needs to create fantastic sound without damaging a car.

In Arizona (Scottsdale), it's a little hole-in-the-wall shop called Soundwerx. There's almost never a time I go there that there isn't some super high end car (or two) getting worked on. Visiting pro sports players...check. For what they do and how they treat you, quite reasonable. No pretension, just great service. I'm sure most large cities have a Soundwerx equivalent.