GTR test - criticism

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 08:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Yugo Zastava
GTR test - criticism

Randy P is a pro who knows what he's talking about, he's usually right on

Test conclusion is super power plant, super front-end with superb feel, superb materials, but overall not as pleasant as GTS, GTR can't put power down in an elegant / controlled way...

I've often found the same as when you have rear wheel drive with excessive power, you're just constantly managing rear traction, cars become unpleasant to drive... always trying to break loose... had an F12 which was great in every way except that it constantly wanted to break loose, it became stressful to drive fast on public roads, my current FF is much better in that sense...

Enjoy the video and chime in gang
Old 09-13-2017, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 950 Likes on 571 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
This has been the first review that makes any mention of the rear end being 'unstable' during street driving. In fact all of the British press have consistently noted that the car rides better and handles better than the GT/GTS variants on their roads.

I'm wondering if perhaps he doesn't care for the RWS on the GT R?

Bish
Old 09-13-2017, 11:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL450, R8 V10+, M6
Randy Pobst knows cars and racing but my takeaway from the MT video is to not turn off the traction control completely. Their criticism of the GT R not being able to lay the power down was in the context of all the nannies being off and taking car to 10/10 of its capabilities. Most of the stellar track times show the GT R being run with at least a component of traction control on.

This may also be why his findings seem discrepant with other reviews. They may not have bothered to run on-track with TC completely off.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 11:09 AM

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
GT3
Originally Posted by shakasean
Randy Pobst knows cars and racing but my takeaway from the MT video is to not turn off the traction control completely. Their criticism of the GT R not being able to lay the power down was in the context of all the nannies being off and taking car to 10/10 of its capabilities. Most of the stellar track times show the GT R being run with at least a component of traction control on.

This may also be why his findings seem discrepant with other reviews. They may not have bothered to run on-track with TC completely off.
Agreed.

Look at the race results in that video. They say the GTR can't put power down compared to the GTS. But the lap times don't lie. The GTR was faster around the track than the GTS (albeit on different days, different conditions, etc.).
Old 09-13-2017, 11:11 AM

GL450, R8 V10+, M6
Yes, and the GT Rs superior track times are borne out decisively in every other rack where both cars were both tested.

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Agreed.

Look at the race results in that video. They say the GTR can't put power down compared to the GTS. But the lap times don't lie. The GTR was faster around the track than the GTS (albeit on different days, different conditions, etc.).
Old 09-13-2017, 11:26 AM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
18'Porsche GT3, 16' Ram 3500 mega diesel,30' Model A Ratrod, 17' E43
Originally Posted by shakasean

Most test reviewers test the cars with all the nannies off, it gives the true feeling of how much grip a car actually has. The ZO6 is another one that has a lot of power but can't put it to the ground(10 times worse than the GTR), and the ACR has zero nannies which really shows off the grip that car produces. High speed tracks like the Ring require tons of aero and good tires, short slower tracks really depend on the tires and the cars capability to get that power down.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:51 AM

GL450, R8 V10+, M6
It would be interesting to see a write-up with a track time with TC off and one with TC on but actively managed by the driver (like with C&D at VIR).

Originally Posted by RobbieRob
Most test reviewers test the cars with all the nannies off, it gives the true feeling of how much grip a car actually has. The ZO6 is another one that has a lot of power but can't put it to the ground(10 times worse than the GTR), and the ACR has zero nannies which really shows off the grip that car produces. High speed tracks like the Ring require tons of aero and good tires, short slower tracks really depend on the tires and the cars capability to get that power down.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:53 AM

Received 129 Likes on 82 Posts
fun ones.
Originally Posted by thebishman
This has been the first review that makes any mention of the rear end being 'unstable' during street driving. In fact all of the British press have consistently noted that the car rides better and handles better than the GT/GTS variants on their roads.

I'm wondering if perhaps he doesn't care for the RWS on the GT R?

Bish
GTR is much stiffer than GTS even in comfort.

Having played with the traction control a fair bit the settings seem a bit odd at times. For example full on with the yellow traction dial is actually more intrusive than the standard setting (its almost like a wet handling mode).

Shifting under full throttle activates the traction control even on a race track. Unless of course you're running in ESP Sport or with the yellow dial wound off a bit.

Haven't watched the video yet but will do later.

Edit: watched the video, don't agree. My car puts the power down as well as you would expect.

Last edited by WhiteBlack; 09-13-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:37 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 AMG GTS Edition 1, 2007 Alpina B7, 1987 560SL, 2011 E350 Wagon, Ural Patrol
Thx for posting this clip. There's nothing I enjoy more than experts nitpicking the 99.9%, Really, I mean that! Given the push to electric, we're living in the golden age of internal combustion.

GTR is obviously stellar. I wonder how a tuned GTS with DPP stacks up.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Yugo Zastava
Good comments all !

Bottom line, if you want a track car, buy a track car at 1600 lbs. These are not track cars but they're superb driving machines and incredibly versatile for equipment that puts out 600 bhp and weights 3,500 lbs - with incredible aesthetic, performance and quality. I think I'm going to get one if I can find one !