Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anybody have ownership/driving experience with both an F12 and an AMG GTS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 09:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
2012 CLS63, 2009 Scud, 1978 930 Turbo
Does anybody have ownership/driving experience with both an F12 and an AMG GTS?

I realize these two cars aren't quite an apples to apples comparison, but I would lover to hear thoughts from anyone who has extensive experience with both.

I have been fond of an F12 for some time and figured I would buy one when they get down to $200K. But I do love my AMG's and it appears I could have almost as much fun for less than half the price with a GTS.

I realize the F12 is faster, costs twice as much to buy, maintain and insure and is cooler. I don't need anyone to tell me that. However, I'd love to hear driving feedback from those who are informed. My curiosity was stoked when I heard Chris Harris say the GTS handles better than the F12 and is more fun to drive.

Any since I sold my C63S two days ago, I'm about due for a new toy! Thanks in advance for any informed commentary. Best regards to all.

Rob
Old 03-27-2018, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GTS Solarbeam Yellow
If you can afford an F12 you should go for it lol not even a comparison
Old 03-28-2018, 09:12 AM

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
300sl roadster
Interesting question... by chance I do have an 16 F12 and a 18 GT-C Roadster and I have found myself making comparisons between the two... in short, I agree with Harris that the GT-C is a little more fun to drive around town.. and what I like is the rear steering effect... the turn in is very precise on the GT-C and the combination of torque and transmission shifts are hard to beat... I do drive in individual mode almost constantly... that being said, the F12 is just a jeckle & hyde beast... I love it's power and anything above 5-6,000 rpm's is just euphoric... but around town it is a big car that wants to break free and just can't find an on-ramp soon enough... I have driven both cars from NC to Daytona and back and the ride is similar.. the huge difference for a road trip is the amount of luggage you can carry in the F12 vs. the GT-C.. not even close; golf clubs, luggage, cooler, etc.... so IMHO, they are two completely different cars to experience.. each with their best foot forward... and I chose the GT-C roadster so I can drop the top... those shifts really sound good in the open air...!!
Old 03-28-2018, 10:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
2012 CLS63, 2009 Scud, 1978 930 Turbo
Great post Cruzen. Much appreciated!

If I spend more $$$, then the GT-C roadster definitely comes in the mix. However, at that price point, I know I would also be tempted to add a 2nd McLaren. My 650S is the best car I have ever had by far.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
With a tune on the AMG, the difference in performance slims down to negligible.
If you can swing the difference and you are not going to put a lot of miles on it, then it's a no brainer. The Ferrari is a true exotic and if you buy it right should not lose much value.
You may have to wait a bit longer to buy one for $200K as it's currently more like in the high 200s.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
S550
As a value proposition, I’d say the NA Ferrari V12 is as strong as it gets...provided you’re able to find an F12 that’s covered under Ferrari’s fantastic CPO warranty program. Performance wise, time marches on, and the GT S/GT C might be better suited to anything but out and out straight line performance.