Sponsored by:

Exhaust Button

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
By the way guys, there is a chance, that the exhaust flaps are not binding, instead the exhaust valve fuse is blowing time to time. Thats what happened to my Performance exhaust, they just replaced the fuse. Took them a while to find it. It makes absolutely no sense for brand new valves to bind unless you guys can explain why it is happening.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:57 AM

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
AMG GT S
A couple months ago I noticed that my sports mode exhaust light would not show sometimes.
This week I took my car in for service and mentioned it
they changed out the button, no fix, and next the exhaust valve which I’m guessing might mean they put in s new exhaust from what I’m reading here
car sounds louder now
Old 06-25-2018, 04:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG GTC Edition 50
Originally Posted by ean
On my 2016 GT S I have noticed when I active sport mode for the exhaust, the red light illuminates as it should, but after driving for a while the light will go out. Pressing the button after this happens will not re-illuminate the light. The command system does indicate the modes are changing on button presses. Turning the car off and back on seems to correct the issue for a short period of time just not sure if there is an issue with the valves themselves when this happens.

Any one else had this issue?

Also, has anyone had issues with the hood struts? I raised my hood to the 90 degree position and the passenger strut seems to be seized. Had to remove the strut entirely.
I have had this same issue with my 2018 GTC. After I drive the car for over 20 minutes the exhaust button would not stay on in race or sports plus mode. I took it to the dealership and the replaced the actuator. The problem got better but time to time it still does not work. I found a way to get it back on my turning off the car on and off multiple times. The dealership was trying to say that the issue is coming up because i did a secondary cat delete. But in all actuality this problem occurred way before that.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:41 PM

AMG GT S
Originally Posted by gtcedition50
I have had this same issue with my 2018 GTC. After I drive the car for over 20 minutes the exhaust button would not stay on in race or sports plus mode. I took it to the dealership and the replaced the actuator. The problem got better but time to time it still does not work. I found a way to get it back on my turning off the car on and off multiple times. The dealership was trying to say that the issue is coming up because i did a secondary cat delete. But in all actuality this problem occurred way before that.
That sucks. From reading the posts on this subject it seems like the exhausts are just wearing out. I can really notice the difference since they fixed it. I am guessing one side hasn’t been working since the problem arose, so it had half the sound.
my car has 16k km, and the problem arose awhile back.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:01 PM
ean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63
Quick Update:

Took the car to the dealer and when I dropped it off I spoke to the tech and he mention there was a service bulletin for the exhaust issue. Got a call at the end of the day saying there was a code stored for the exhaust valves and per the bulletin they updated the software. After the software update, they were unable to re-produce the issue. The service adviser said the car was ready to go and if it happened again they would need to open up a PTSS case.

I picked the car up and on the way home, the exhaust light went off again...I called the SA and put the wheels in motion for the next steps.

I'm not familiar with the PTSS process any suggestions? She mentioned they would need to keep the car for a week.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:07 PM

AMG GT S
Originally Posted by ean
Quick Update:

Took the car to the dealer and when I dropped it off I spoke to the tech and he mention there was a service bulletin for the exhaust issue. Got a call at the end of the day saying there was a code stored for the exhaust valves and per the bulletin they updated the software. After the software update, they were unable to re-produce the issue. The service adviser said the car was ready to go and if it happened again they would need to open up a PTSS case.

I picked the car up and on the way home, the exhaust light went off again...I called the SA and put the wheels in motion for the next steps.

I'm not familiar with the PTSS process any suggestions? She mentioned they would need to keep the car for a week.
That's poor customer care imo. I hope u get it sorted out easily and quickly
Old 06-30-2018, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
PTSS is 'Product Technical Support System', it's escalating a concern to engineering/AMG for more info.

In this case, there are bulletins about lubricating the shaft/motor of the exhaust drive and other ways to look into fixing it, so the PTSS case is a bit premature. You will most likely end up with a whole new exhaust if you continue to have issues.
The following users liked this post:
ean (06-30-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 12:16 AM

AMG GT S
What is aggravating is when you let them know the issue you are having along with the details and the response is like it is the first time they are hearing about this issue and maaaybeee they can recreate it and sort it out.... and then you find out after by reading other owners posts online that is a known issue and there is no way they don't know.

It's annoying, and disengeniuous to some extent imo.
It's happened to me both for the loose seat and the exhaust. And it's the only thing I dislike about the dealership I use. Everything else about that place is 10/10.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 949 Likes on 570 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by Gordon9898
What is aggravating is when you let them know the issue you are having along with the details and the response is like it is the first time they are hearing about this issue and maaaybeee they can recreate it and sort it out.... and then you find out after by reading other owners posts online that is a known issue and there is no way they don't know.

It's annoying, and disengeniuous to some extent imo.
It's happened to me both for the loose seat and the exhaust. And it's the only thing I dislike about the dealership I use. Everything else about that place is 10/10.
With any issues such as these, where you know that others have experienced the same problem which has subsequently been addressed; correctly, try and find the specific TSB on the issue and hand that to your SA when turning the car in. Be extremely polite about it of course. It’s always worked well for me.
Goid luck!

Bish
Old 08-10-2018, 11:00 AM
ean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63
Follow up:

Dealer replaced entire rear exhaust assembly. Car works perfect now.
California John (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 01:33 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
AMG GT
Originally Posted by ean
Follow up:

Well at least they finally took care of it for you.

Did they at least give u a good loaner while they kept your car for a week?

Also did they tell u why they needed your car to sit there for a week to install a rear exhaust??
Old 08-10-2018, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by cproGT
Well at least they finally took care of it for you.

Did they at least give u a good loaner while they kept your car for a week?

Also did they tell u why they needed your car to sit there for a week to install a rear exhaust??
No dealer that I'm aware of keeps that exhaust in stock.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:55 PM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
Originally Posted by ean
Follow up:

Finally! That took awhile eh?
Old 03-08-2022, 05:48 PM

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts
2018 AMG E63S Wagon 2019 AMG S63
Originally Posted by munis
By the way guys, there is a chance, that the exhaust flaps are not binding, instead the exhaust valve fuse is blowing time to time. Thats what happened to my Performance exhaust, they just replaced the fuse. Took them a while to find it. It makes absolutely no sense for brand new valves to bind unless you guys can explain why it is happening.
I’ve been asking if the actuators are fuse controlled but have not been able to get a definitive answer. I would pay money to know what fuse that was either I have two blown actuator motors, two frozen flaps or a blown fuse which would make way more sense.
Old 03-08-2022, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 872 Likes on 451 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
Originally Posted by Deckboss
I’ve been asking if the actuators are fuse controlled but have not been able to get a definitive answer. I would pay money to know what fuse that was either I have two blown actuator motors, two frozen flaps or a blown fuse which would make way more sense.
Hi Deckboss

Fuses 34, 35 in the passenger's footwell.

I have a paypal...LOL...just kidding...

Deckboss (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 07:22 PM

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts
2018 AMG E63S Wagon 2019 AMG S63
Originally Posted by Acta_Non_Verba
Hi Deckboss

Hoping it’s the same for my wagon can’t wait to get home and check. Been stuck in limp mode ever since they stopped responding.
Old 03-08-2022, 09:56 PM

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
None yet
Originally Posted by Acta_Non_Verba
Hi Deckboss

where did you get this fuse diagram from? Any chance you have a pdf of it that I can hang onto for future reference?
Old 03-08-2022, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 692 Likes on 435 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by 4wheelz
where did you get this fuse diagram from? Any chance you have a pdf of it that I can hang onto for future reference?
Came with my car. Mine was in the rear fuse location, under the cover. Not sure if the previous owner put it there, or if that's where they stick it from the factory.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 872 Likes on 451 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
Originally Posted by 4wheelz
This unfolds as a large non standard sheet. I just photoed it and overlapped the pages. It shows both the front and the rear fuse blocks. I've posted these before, but here they are again. You can snag the photos and print them if it helps you.

Old 10-06-2023, 06:19 PM

Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts
2019 AMG GTC Solar Beam Yellow
Sorry to resurrect an older thread but I'm having exhaust issues. Did anyone ever try pulling fuses 34 and 35 to see what happened with the exhaust flaps?
Old 11-03-2023, 04:04 PM

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
GTR
Is the 'Küster' exhaust flapper the correct size for a BS?
Old 11-03-2023, 09:35 PM

Received 439 Likes on 235 Posts
AMG GTR
Hi,

Yes. All MB have Küster actuators.

Best regards

Stenzel
jb123mb (11-04-2023)