Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rock hit the windshield and cracked it!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 335 Posts
2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by MalibuScott
I had the same thing said to me about the i8 windshield replacement. Not only would it be 10 days before Safelite got the windshield, but I had to bring it to them to get it done.
I’ll buy the 8-10 days on getting the replacement to the left coast. These delays are becoming standard supply chain issues. Nobody wants to inventory these very expensive and essentially specialty winshields in the hope they can sell them in the future. Inam rhinking that is why the insurance companies “outsourced” the function to Safelite. Hopefully you won’t need to, but if you do I am recommending you (especially you) try my install at the dealer/have the dealer do the calibration process. I want to learn what happens when they try and blow smoke up your lower orefice.

Now back to carving those canyons out there.

Enjoy.
The following users liked this post:
GTSEdition1 (06-30-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 950 Likes on 571 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by thecutter64
Hate to hijack a thread but my daughters CLA is coming off lease and she just got a tiny chip with linear crack running for an inch. Her state inspection was just done.
Do i have it replaced before turning it in? What about the rain sensors and all the stickers? Are they transferred?
Do I let MB do it after return or call a Safelight franchise?

In this case I would most certainly take it to Safelite to see if they can repair it. I had a pretty nasty 'chip' in a '16 Yukon Denali and Safelite did a fantastic job; so much so that it was essentially unnoticeable.

Bish
Old 06-29-2018, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
Hate to hijack a thread but my daughters CLA is coming off lease and she just got a tiny chip with linear crack running for an inch. Her state inspection was just done.
Do i have it replaced before turning it in? What about the rain sensors and all the stickers? Are they transferred?

I recommend you call your insurance company and file a claim now. Then nudge them into the suggestions I made in my earlier threads.

Best of luck.
thebishman (06-29-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Originally Posted by GTSEdition1
Thank you for posting this! I was very double minded after reading the reviews of safelight in my area and didn't want to take my car there. Luckily my insurance agent called and I shared the concern with her. She agreed becuase they have had the same experience with safelight and they prefer a different glass company which refused to work on this car. But the regional office of the insurance company was pushing me to go to safelight. Long story short, my insurance agent is going to get an estimate from the dealer and pay them in advance as they mentioned earlier they don't work with insurance companies.
glad to hear things are looking up. Safe driving!
GTSEdition1 (06-30-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
in the case that you are going in to pick up another car for her, you should not say anything and only if they decide to inspect the car, you make your new deal contingent upon the dealer accepting the lease return without charging you. If that is not acceptable, then go and fix the glass.
Generally speaking if this is a trade, the dealer will not be as nitpicky
Old 06-30-2018, 02:29 AM

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
AMG GT S
������Safelite������
The following 2 users liked this post by MercAMGgts2016:
GTSEdition1 (07-02-2018), MalibuScott (06-30-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 11:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 s550
10 inch crack in 2010 s550 :-(

Just wanted to join this discussion to drum up some suggestions. I recently had a rock hit my windshield on my s550 while driving hiway speed. It was night so I didn't think anything of it. My heart did drop once I saw the 10 inch crack that was there. Insurance co is pushing me towards Safelite but Im concerned about the posts ive seen regarding them not being able to correctly calibrate rain sensors etc. Is it best to try and go through a dealer for this? I haven't asked my insurance co about getting it done through the dealer and I haven't called the cealer for a price quote yet. However, I plan to do both soon. I am open for any and all suggestions/ guidance from anyone who has experienced this .
Old 07-10-2018, 12:14 AM

Received 663 Likes on 349 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
Originally Posted by Djackson13
Just wanted to join this discussion to drum up some suggestions. I recently had a rock hit my windshield on my s550 while driving hiway speed. It was night so I didn't think anything of it. My heart did drop once I saw the 10 inch crack that was there. Insurance co is pushing me towards Safelite but Im concerned about the posts ive seen regarding them not being able to correctly calibrate rain sensors etc. Is it best to try and go through a dealer for this? I haven't asked my insurance co about getting it done through the dealer and I haven't called the cealer for a price quote yet. However, I plan to do both soon. I am open for any and all suggestions/ guidance from anyone who has experienced this .
Some states have a driver's "bill of rights" which allows you to use new, OEM as replacement parts. Check to see if you are in one of those states.

Also, ask your dealer to give you a couple of good reasons why OEM Mercedes replacement glass is superior to whatever Safelite has.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Corvette Z06
I just got mine replaced at the dealer just need to go pick up the car. My dealer didn't want to deal with the insurance company so my insurance agent spoke to the dealer directly to get a quote and pre-approved it. I will make the payment to the dealer but since it's already pre approved the insurance will reimburse me for the expense except for the $100 deductible.

My service advisor saw the estimate my insurance got from the safelight and it wasn't even the right quote for my car. It was for GLC, which I had mentioned it to the safelight guys but they said don't worry about it, that is how ti shows up on our system.
Of course the quote was significantly lower because it wan't the right part.

Usually the dealers don't have the capability to replace the windshield as they do hire outside services but at least they would be responsible for anything that goes wrong. Also I think they have better calibration tools for lane-changing sensors/ camera etc.

See if you can have your insurance pay the invoice to either you or the dealer and get it done there.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by GTSEdition1
I just got mine replaced at the dealer just need to go pick up the car. My dealer didn't want to deal with the insurance company so my insurance agent spoke to the dealer directly to get a quote and pre-approved it. I will make the payment to the dealer but since it's already pre approved the insurance will reimburse me for the expense except for the $100 deductible.

My service advisor saw the estimate my insurance got from the safelight and it wasn't even the right quote for my car. It was for GLC, which I had mentioned it to the safelight guys but they said don't worry about it, that is how ti shows up on our system.
Of course the quote was significantly lower because it wan't the right part.

Usually the dealers don't have the capability to replace the windshield as they do hire outside services but at least they would be responsible for anything that goes wrong. Also I think they have better calibration tools for lane-changing sensors/ camera etc.

See if you can have your insurance pay the invoice to either you or the dealer and get it done there.

I posted this a couple of times but;

PLEASE BE SURE THE WINDSHIELD IS QUOTED/ORDERED /RECEIVED AND CHECKED BEFORE THE INSTALL BASED ON YOUR VIN NUMBER NOT A PART NUMBER. The numbers below the MB logo on the windshield are not part numbers and can apply to more than one model.

There are different electronics and antennas in our cars. THE VIN NUMBER ENSURES YOU GET THE RIGHT ONE FOR YOUR CAR AND YES YOUR WINDSHIELD MAY FIT ONE OR MORE VEHICLE.

Regards

Last edited by JSwan724; 07-11-2018 at 09:46 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JSwan724:
MalibuScott (07-11-2018), thebishman (07-10-2018)