Sponsored by:

GTC vs GTR vs Huracan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 02:24 AM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
2020 E63S
GTC vs GTR vs Huracan

Hey guys, in the market for a car to take out on the weekends and have fun with.
Was initially looking at an R8, but they treated us very badly at the dealership and I refuse to do business with them anymore. It's a shame because I was planning on getting a Q7 Prestige along with the R8, but that's not going to happen anymore. Started looking at Huracans and what not, but they're substantially a bit more expensive than the R8 (but I wouldn't mind paying more for it if it's the right choice) and here in South Florida there's a lot of Huracans around.
I saw a Green Hell magno GTR for sale, fully loaded. Thinking about it because it's a very powerful car and I enjoy that it's a bit different from the crowd and you don't see them as often. However also thought of the GTC because it's a more street-friendly alternative. However, with both GTC and GTR my main concern is it being too similar to my W205 C63S. I understand it's a different tune and the 1st gear is longer etc etc but at the end of the day it's the same engine and I don't want to feel like the car is too similar. Thus the Huracan.
Now I wanted your opinion on the three options, because I'm not sure what would be the best decision from here. Also, I planned on getting a black R8 or Huracan at first because I wanted to try and fly under the radar. But the only GTR right now is that matte green (which I do like) but I'm afraid it'll be too flashy. Do you guys get a lot of attention when driving your GT or is it something I don't need to worry about?
I'm also wondering if the GTs have Apple CarPlay now. It's something I really miss on my C63 and I would hope these cars have it, even the SL63 has it.
Thanks
Old 07-07-2018, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 220 Likes on 156 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
Depends how you will use it. Out of all the cars mentioned, the R8 is the best daily driver. The GT series can be driven daily but the ride is not smooth. The GTR is flashy in green and will attract more attention than an R8 in Black .

Forget the Huracan. Not a daily driver. High maintenance and less practical than any of your choices.

Find another Audi dealer and get the R8 and Q7. Or find a dealer on line that WANTS your business .

If you are not tracking the cars and only street driving, the GTs will feel similar to your C63s......only smaller and less practical .
Old 07-07-2018, 10:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 C63s
Originally Posted by ggonzaga
Hey guys, in the market for a car to take out on the weekends and have fun with.
Was initially looking at an R8, but they treated us very badly at the dealership and I refuse to do business with them anymore. It's a shame because I was planning on getting a Q7 Prestige along with the R8, but that's not going to happen anymore. Started looking at Huracans and what not, but they're substantially a bit more expensive than the R8 (but I wouldn't mind paying more for it if it's the right choice) and here in South Florida there's a lot of Huracans around.
I saw a Green Hell magno GTR for sale, fully loaded. Thinking about it because it's a very powerful car and I enjoy that it's a bit different from the crowd and you don't see them as often. However also thought of the GTC because it's a more street-friendly alternative. However, with both GTC and GTR my main concern is it being too similar to my W205 C63S. I understand it's a different tune and the 1st gear is longer etc etc but at the end of the day it's the same engine and I don't want to feel like the car is too similar. Thus the Huracan.
Now I wanted your opinion on the three options, because I'm not sure what would be the best decision from here. Also, I planned on getting a black R8 or Huracan at first because I wanted to try and fly under the radar. But the only GTR right now is that matte green (which I do like) but I'm afraid it'll be too flashy. Do you guys get a lot of attention when driving your GT or is it something I don't need to worry about?
I'm also wondering if the GTs have Apple CarPlay now. It's something I really miss on my C63 and I would hope these cars have it, even the SL63 has it.
Thanks
I have a 2017 C63s coupe and a GTS (C63s is going to be gone soon). They aren’t even close. Everything about them is different. I had the same concerns, but a trusted source told me they are night and day, and they were right. The C63s is a muscle car - they took a normal car and put a big motor and brakes on it with some suspension. The GT is a sports car that was purpose built. The GT does so much better at everything that they aren’t even comparable.

I’ve had an R8 before as well. It’s a great car, but it is definitely not easier to live with day to day.

Good luck!
Old 07-07-2018, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 963 Likes on 580 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
I’ve owned an R8 and loved it. Very useable every day if you want to, and the non plus version with the adjustable shocks is as fast and more compliant. A better DD than most other Supercars and cheap to maintain. Just get Audicare. It will attract a lot less attention than the Huracan, although R8’s are lookers themselfs.

The GTR makes for a fine DD as long as the roads are decent and I love mine. It’s GHM in colour though so attracts a lot of attention!! Be warned. lol
Old 07-07-2018, 05:12 PM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
OP, have you checked out the new RWS (rear wheel steering) R8? More reasonable price and better handling. Doesn't have R8 plus motor but may not need that for street-friendly weekend fun. That would be the most streetable car and I also suggest finding a different Audi dealer (must be tons in FLA) for a test-drive.

You're correct color makes a difference. I daily all my sports cars. My Huracan was by far the most difficult to live with on a day to day basis. Getting a more conservative color is a wise choice. Mine was Verde Mantis AKA F-ck Me Green and I had randoms following me and filming me all the time. Every time I went to the bank or filled up gas, randoms would engage me in conversation. Like a hundred times worse than my Grigio Titanio 458 Spider. I'm not old and am friendly but it was still a lot too handle. Driving the H was an event each and every time. Kids at the bus stop would holler when I got on the gas, the engine is super loud. Visibility is the worst of any car I've owned. The 991 GT3 is better visibility despite the wing and the GTS is better still. Looking rearward through the Transparent Engine Bonnet of the H is like being on LSD, can't see sh-t. The H is super wide and super low, even with the lift you'll scrape. Just like the GT3.

If you get the GTR, go for a more mellow color. The GTC should be just fine for what you want. I love my GTS. Been dailying for a year, I got more comfortable with the long hood and backup camera. The parking sensors are key. The interior is sumptuous and coddles the driver. It's a great place to spend time.

For what you want, I think the 2018 RWS R8 might be the best fit although I've never owned an R8 and believe the model is getting stale as it's been around forever and the Generation 2 is an incremental change from the Generation 1. The GTS is a also a good choice for weekend fun. Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 CLS63
GTS is one of the most fun cars I’ve driven , I haven’t driven a GTR but it has to be a blast too. You might be sold if you go test drive the GTR but the green will 100% attract a lot of attention. If you don’t like attention look around for a more neutral color.

Also maybe try finding a different Audi dealer, it’s always worth a drive or a short flight if you get the car you want.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:55 AM

Received 208 Likes on 121 Posts
Winnebago, Yugo
If I was going to DD a GT car then I would choose the GTC, the GTR is a bit of a letdown in the interior choice department (I wish I could have ordered red accents for my red car), but understandably so because race car. Nicely spec'd GTC interiors are stunning.

Last edited by canucklehead; 07-08-2018 at 06:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
daybx (02-18-2021)
Old 07-08-2018, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
I think the GTC is a perfect blend for a car that is sporty but not being tracked. Wide body, rear wheel steering, nice color options but also trackable if needed.
The GTC roadster just beat the lap time of the 991 Turbo S cab on the Sachsenring to become the fastest convertible on that track
The following users liked this post:
daybx (02-18-2021)
Old 07-09-2018, 11:22 AM
sno

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
EQE 350+, EQS 450+, AMG C63
GTC or GTS would be your best choice... A Lambo is not a daily drive when you factor in maint cost. Having had an R8 and DD'ed it I would not kick it out of the garage but the AMG is still a better all around DD... IMHO
Old 07-09-2018, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 701 Likes on 534 Posts
R Nine T
Anyone thought of DD new BMW 850?
Old 07-10-2018, 02:52 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
2020 E63S
Originally Posted by surfah
OP, have you checked out the new RWS (rear wheel steering) R8? More reasonable price and better handling. Doesn't have R8 plus motor but may not need that for street-friendly weekend fun. That would be the most streetable car and I also suggest finding a different Audi dealer (must be tons in FLA) for a test-drive.

You're correct color makes a difference. I daily all my sports cars. My Huracan was by far the most difficult to live with on a day to day basis. Getting a more conservative color is a wise choice. Mine was Verde Mantis AKA F-ck Me Green and I had randoms following me and filming me all the time. Every time I went to the bank or filled up gas, randoms would engage me in conversation. Like a hundred times worse than my Grigio Titanio 458 Spider. I'm not old and am friendly but it was still a lot too handle. Driving the H was an event each and every time. Kids at the bus stop would holler when I got on the gas, the engine is super loud. Visibility is the worst of any car I've owned. The 991 GT3 is better visibility despite the wing and the GTS is better still. Looking rearward through the Transparent Engine Bonnet of the H is like being on LSD, can't see sh-t. The H is super wide and super low, even with the lift you'll scrape. Just like the GT3.

If you get the GTR, go for a more mellow color. The GTC should be just fine for what you want. I love my GTS. Been dailying for a year, I got more comfortable with the long hood and backup camera. The parking sensors are key. The interior is sumptuous and coddles the driver. It's a great place to spend time.

For what you want, I think the 2018 RWS R8 might be the best fit although I've never owned an R8 and believe the model is getting stale as it's been around forever and the Generation 2 is an incremental change from the Generation 1. The GTS is a also a good choice for weekend fun. Good luck with your decision.
I did look at the R8 RWS. In fact the dealership Audi North Miami had a Nardo Grey R8 RWS for sale, I was the only customer to ever test drive it, and two days before we would come in and sign the paperwork they chose to not honor my $5k deposit and sold it to someone else that just walked in and bought it cash. Ridiculous.. This dealership seems to be the only one with the RWS coming in, they have one coming in velvet purple but I don't like that. I wanted the R8 non plus but don't want to deal with the *******s there.

I wanted the Huracan probably in Grigio Telesto or just all black. I don't want to have it be flashy. My salesperson thought I should order one in Verde Mantis to go crazy but I really don't want to attract that much attention. I think a neutral color Huracan will always turn heads but not as much as other colors. Going to drive the Huracan though next week and see what it's about. Ordering one might just be the move if it's as enjoyable as it is a looker. I like the GTR, and the GTC, but I can't find a nicely specc'd GTC that isn't a roadster. I don't like how the roadsters look, forgive me.

Now I'm starting to consider a 911 Turbo. The car is fast, very well built, and doesn't call for attention like the other cars. Sure people will know it's not a cheap car especially if they can tell a 911 apart from a 911 turbo, but I can live with that.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:54 PM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
Originally Posted by ggonzaga
I did look at the R8 RWS. In fact the dealership Audi North Miami had a Nardo Grey R8 RWS for sale, I was the only customer to ever test drive it, and two days before we would come in and sign the paperwork they chose to not honor my $5k deposit and sold it to someone else that just walked in and bought it cash. Ridiculous.. This dealership seems to be the only one with the RWS coming in, they have one coming in velvet purple but I don't like that. I wanted the R8 non plus but don't want to deal with the *******s there.

I wanted the Huracan probably in Grigio Telesto or just all black. I don't want to have it be flashy. My salesperson thought I should order one in Verde Mantis to go crazy but I really don't want to attract that much attention. I think a neutral color Huracan will always turn heads but not as much as other colors. Going to drive the Huracan though next week and see what it's about. Ordering one might just be the move if it's as enjoyable as it is a looker. I like the GTR, and the GTC, but I can't find a nicely specc'd GTC that isn't a roadster. I don't like how the roadsters look, forgive me.

Now I'm starting to consider a 911 Turbo. The car is fast, very well built, and doesn't call for attention like the other cars. Sure people will know it's not a cheap car especially if they can tell a 911 apart from a 911 turbo, but I can live with that.
WTH is wrong with that Audi dealer? Not honoring your $5K deposit is a poor way to conduct business. No wonder the whole experience has soured your taste for Audi.

Grigio Telesto is cool. My friend has a Superleggera in that color like battleship gray. Black looks menacing and balances the crazy angles and wedges of the H. Post your test drive experience, I think you'll be in for a real treat as it's truly a visceral event to drive even on the street. You'll quickly see the challenges of the H regarding the low and wide stance and the visibility but you get used to it as with most things.

The Turbo S costs a lot of coin but is faster than most of the competition except for McLaren. It will be bulletproof and lower maintanence and has all the amenities of the Merc with rear seats and better visibility. Of all my sports cars, the 911 is the easiest to drive, being closer to the front axle makes parking and steering a breeze.

I get attention with the GT3 but it is Guards Red and has a huge wing. The Turbo S can get confused with cheaper versions of the 911 but most owners don't care about that. Just go on an extended drive and make sure it's not too boring. That's my experience with the Turbo S, it does everything so well, doesn't sound as good as the GT3 and is less of an event to drive because it's so surgical in it's precision and handling.