Warning: GT R/V-1/Savvy use

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 950 Likes on 571 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Warning: GT R/V-1/Savvy use

Last weekend I installed one of my V1s in my GT R and used the Valentine Savvy as the power source. The Savvy plugs into the OBD II outlet as I’m sure all of you know and is very convenient, BUT even with the car turned off there is always a slight draw of current into the Savvy from the OBD II socket even though the V1 is off.

Well after just 5 days of not driving the GT R due to bad weather, etc. the battery in the car is completely dead, and I’ll have to jump start it tomorrow.

Moral of the story: do NOT use the Savvy to power the V1 in your GT R unless you constantly unplug the Savvy, or you are driving the car daily. The above probably would not effect other variants of the GT series that don’t have the Li ion battery as standard, except that ultimately it would even discharge a lead acid battery if the car was parked and not driven for quite some time.

Bish
Old 07-20-2018, 02:37 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
AMG GT
Originally Posted by thebishman
Last weekend I installed one of my V1s in my GT R and used the Valentine Savvy as the power source. The Savvy plugs into the OBD II outlet as I’m sure all of you know and is very convenient, BUT even with the car turned off there is always a slight draw of current into the Savvy from the OBD II socket even though the V1 is off.

Well after just 5 days of not driving the GT R due to bad weather, etc. the battery in the car is completely dead, and I’ll have to jump start it tomorrow.

Moral of the story: do NOT use the Savvy to power the V1 in your GT R unless you constantly unplug the Savvy, or you are driving the car daily. The above probably would not effect other variants of the GT series that don’t have the Li ion battery as standard, except that ultimately it would even discharge a lead acid battery if the car was parked and not driven for quite some time.

Bish
Thanks good to know
Old 07-20-2018, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 335 Posts
2024 AMG G63

Bish
Bish:

Why not hook up the MB Battery Tender you got with the car and check back later/tomorrow. It’ll be working while you are enjoying other things.

Best Regards

Jerry
Old 07-20-2018, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Jerry,

I read in the manual that the battery tender will maintain the battery charge in the Li ion battery but won’t actually ‘recharge’ it.

Is that not correct? If so, I’d rather do as you mentioned.

Bish
Old 07-20-2018, 05:51 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
AMG GT
Jerry,

I read in the manual that the battery tender will maintain the battery charge in the Li ion battery but won’t actually ‘recharge’ it.

Bish
Yes Battery tenders usually just maintain the current charge
Old 07-20-2018, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
Jerry,

Bish
I think it will sense that the battery is lower than it should be and bring it up to the point where the battery will resist any further charge. It’s a trickle charge which is why I suggested plugging it in overnight to see how it did. I can tell you that it won’t over charge the battery. I use this charger and a similiar one on my Harley for many years and have never had an issue.

Try it and see. It may bring it up to the point where you can start the car and allow the alternator to add a more rapid charge.

I hope it works.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by JSwan724

I think it will sense that the battery is lower than it should be and bring it up to the point where the battery will resist any further charge. It’s a trickle charge which is why I suggested plugging it in overnight to see how it did. I can tell you that it won’t over charge the battery. I use this charger and a similiar one on my Harley for many years and have never had an issue.

Try it and see. It may bring it up to the point where you can start the car and allow the alternator to add a more rapid charge.

I hope it works.
I’ve got it on the jump/charge points as I type, Jerry. Unfortunately the red ‘fault’ light has come on once already so I’m not confident that the MB trickle charger/battery tender is going to recharge the battery, which shows on the charger as completely discharged.

Will see what happens overnight.

Thanks for your help btw.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63

I’ve got it on the jump/charge points as I type, Jerry. Unfortunately the red ‘fault’ light has come on once already so I’m not confident that the MB trickle charger/battery tender is going to recharge the battery, which shows on the charger as completely discharged.

Will see what happens overnight.

Thanks for your help btw.

As long as the battery is good and the trickle charger senses that it is low it will albiet slowly replenish the charge. The trick as you know is to disconnect the drain source and get the charge to the point where you can fire up the motor and let the alternator take over for awhile—go for a drive. Then back on the charger for a few sessions until all is good.

What I like about the trickle chargers is that they are electronically prevented from/will not cook the battery. These batteries are $$$$.

Best Regards

Last edited by JSwan724; 07-21-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:01 PM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G63 & 991.2 GT3 & AMG GT
Originally Posted by JSwan724

As long as the battery is good and the trickle charger senses that it is low it will albiet slowly replenish the charge. The trick as you know is to disconnect the drain source and get the charge to the point where you can fire up the motor and let the alternator take over for awhile—go for a drive. Then back on the charger for a few sessions until all is good.

What I like about the trickle chargers is that they are electronically preventedfrom will not cooking the battery. These batteries are $$$$.

Best Regards
Why would any smart charger “cook” a battery?
Old 07-21-2018, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 219 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
The tender will charge the battery to full and then maintain it at a constant level. Battery chargers just keep amp current going regardless of charge. The chargers will fry batteries if you forget to remove it.

ive used the supplied charger. The battery was extremely low in winter and the car wouldn’t start. I hooked up the tender. It fully recharged the battery and then maintained it fully charged for months.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:46 PM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G63 & 991.2 GT3 & AMG GT
But why would we be hooking up dumb chargers?

The OEM are CTEK - their MX5.0 goes into trickle mode after a successful charge/test cycle.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
So my battery was completely discharged. The OEM battery charger/tender would not charge the battery as it would show the red/fault light after a minute or two even though I pressed the reset button for ten seconds as instructed with a Li ion battery.

So I placed my old Autozone charger on the battery for about 4 hours which was enough to start the car. I went for a brisk 45 minute drive, and then came home and placed the OEM charger/tender back on the car, this time plugged into the 'cigarette' socket in the trunk area. It's charging away great now, and showed a 3/4 full battery light when I first plugged it in. I'll leave it on overnight.

Thanks for all the help and insights, guys. This will teach me to try and take the easy way out when hooking up my V1. I'll just wire it into the fuse block area in the passenger footwell tomorrow.

Bish
Old 07-21-2018, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
So my battery was completely discharged. The OEM battery charger/tender would not charge the battery as it would show the red/fault light after a minute or two even though I pressed the reset button for ten seconds as instructed with a Li ion battery.

So I placed my old Autozone charger on the battery for about 4 hours which was enough to start the car. I went for a brisk 45 minute drive, and then came home and placed the OEM charger/tender back on the car, this time plugged into the 'cigarette' socket in the trunk area. It's charging away great now, and showed a 3/4 full battery light when I first plugged it in. I'll leave it on overnight.

Thanks for all the help and insights, guys. This will teach me to try and take the easy way out when hooking up my V1. I'll just wire it into the fuse block area in the passenger footwell tomorrow.

Bish
So the MB battery tender needed a jump start too before it would do it’s job.

Now we all know what to do.

Many thanks.

Sounds like a plan..
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 339 Likes on 193 Posts
2022 AMG SL63

Bish
That's how my V1 is connected. Only comes on when the car ignition is on. Easy to hide the cord.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (07-22-2018)