Sponsored by:

Fuel Door Flap Emergency Release?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 05:09 AM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
AMG GTC Edition 50 Coupe
Fuel Door Flap Emergency Release?

Greetings all. New owner and first time post for me. Like so many others I am enjoying my GTC coupe and attempting to learn how to operate all the bells and whistles on this car. Last night when attempting to refuel I was unable to open the filler door after multiple tries. It would not open when I returned home either. Key was in my pocket and I tried locking/unlocking car multiple times. I guess a solenoid is most likely not operating properly...but until I get to the dealer...is there an emergency fuel filler door release on this car? I searched the forum and owner's manual but did not see the subject covered for this model. Many thanks for any help offered!
Old 09-20-2018, 08:59 AM

Received 663 Likes on 349 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
Does this help?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Untitled Extract Pages.pdf (253.0 KB, 659 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by MalibuScott:
California John (09-20-2018), susman@eurogermantown.com (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 09:08 AM

AMG GTC Edition 50 Coupe
Thank you. I reviewed that again last night after returning home and tried again several times with no success. When I press on the fuel door it does not spring outward. When I lean down and listen in that area while pressing the lock and unlock buttons on key I do not hear a click...which leads me to think the solenoid is not working. I was hoping someone would know if there is a string...latch...or cable located somewhere to release the filler door manually. Thank you very much for trying to help me out.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 864 Likes on 450 Posts
2020 Huracan EVO AWD - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe - 2023 C63 S Coupe -
I believe it is designed that if it fails it gets stuck in the unlock position - not the locked. It might be a tight fit and is slightly stuck. Where the pressure of the release is not enough for it to pop open without assistance. You might have to push in and try and get something under the door lip and pull towards you - being very careful of course. May be a one time thing, or need an adjustment if it opens after that. Hard to say. Pretty sure that's what a tech at the dealer would try first thing. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to play keyboard mechanic - lol.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:25 AM

AMG GTC Edition 50 Coupe
Thank you very much for that great suggestion. I will try that technique later when I return home. Have just now left a message with service department.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 230 Likes on 187 Posts
MY17 S63AMG - MBUSA Buyback. MY16 SL63 - Sold MY19 W213 E63s. 2020 W213 E63s Wagon
I would just call MBusa road side assistance and have it flatbed it to your near Mercedes free of charge because either way, something is not operating right and you’ll most likely need to get the dealer to fix it unless your confident there is enough gas in the tank to just drive it over to the dealer for a fix.
The following users liked this post:
California John (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 864 Likes on 450 Posts
2020 Huracan EVO AWD - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe - 2023 C63 S Coupe -
Originally Posted by S63AMG888
I would just call MBusa road side assistance and have it flatbed it to your near Mercedes free of charge because either way, something is not operating right and you’ll most likely need to get the dealer to fix it unless your confident there is enough gas in the tank to just drive it over to the dealer for a fix.
MB farms out their road service. As you know, anything can happen with a low ground clearance car like this (scrapes, paint etc..,). Best to avoid a flatbed at all costs unless truly necessary.
thebishman (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 230 Likes on 187 Posts
MY17 S63AMG - MBUSA Buyback. MY16 SL63 - Sold MY19 W213 E63s. 2020 W213 E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by benzbell
MB farms out their road service. As you know, anything can happen with a low ground clearance car like this (scrapes, paint etc..,). Best to avoid a flatbed at all costs unless truly necessary.
True MBusa outsources the flatbeds, but most have 2x4s that they use to lift up the front end going up the bed and can cater to exotic cars with lower profiles so it shouldn’t be a problem especially if OP is out of gas from what I read on his post. Again if OP has enough gas, drive it to the dealer, if not flatbed shouldn’t be a problem.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:27 PM

AMG GTC Edition 50 Coupe
First of all..a big thank you to everyone that has been kind enough to offer suggestions to try to assist me with my dilemma. I returned home this afternoon and tried opening it and it did open a couple of times and then would not. I then finally got it to open again and applied Tri Flow to a Q-Tip and lubed the hook and catch mechanism. Then upon closing it...I used both thumbs to press right on the "curve" of the filler door with thumbs spaced about 1/2" apart. The door went in, clicked in a little further, then popped open as it should. It will not open using one thumb. I opened it numerous times that way, then went to the station and filled the tank. This is the second tank of fuel for me so maybe it just needs a little use. I am going to open it a few more times this week just to hopefully break it in (and not actually break it). I am somewhat concerned that at this time there appears to not be a "Plan B" emergency release for the door. If I can find out there is I will be sure to post and let everyone know. Once again-thanks to all for your help.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Great you got it to work. Still go to dealer and get them to order any part that looks to be sticking. Like you said no options on a road trip but to be stuck.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:47 PM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
Glad you weren't stranded in the middle of nowhere out of fuel. Agree get it checked out by dealer hopefully easy fix.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:25 PM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
GTS AMG
Originally Posted by matteRAT
First of all..a big thank you to everyone that has been kind enough to offer suggestions to try to assist me with my dilemma. I returned home this afternoon and tried opening it and it did open a couple of times and then would not. I then finally got it to open again and applied Tri Flow to a Q-Tip and lubed the hook and catch mechanism. Then upon closing it...I used both thumbs to press right on the "curve" of the filler door with thumbs spaced about 1/2" apart. The door went in, clicked in a little further, then popped open as it should. It will not open using one thumb. I opened it numerous times that way, then went to the station and filled the tank. This is the second tank of fuel for me so maybe it just needs a little use. I am going to open it a few more times this week just to hopefully break it in (and not actually break it). I am somewhat concerned that at this time there appears to not be a "Plan B" emergency release for the door. If I can find out there is I will be sure to post and let everyone know. Once again-thanks to all for your help.

Dealership replaced mine a few years ago. No issues since then. Good luck
Old 09-23-2018, 11:10 PM

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
'18 GT R on order, F80 M3
My GT R had the same issue and the dealership massaged the assembly a little bit. Now it works fine. The tech filed a little bit of a ramp on the pin part of the door that interfaces with the latch on the body so it could slide in more smoothly. He said there is no actual adjustment on the assembly.
matteRAT (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 05:50 AM

AMG GTC Edition 50 Coupe
Thank all of you again. I had wondered if filing a bit might do the trick as all the components that interlock are razor sharp on mine. I am still curious to find out if there is a way to open the filler door from inside the hatch area in case someone gets stranded at a station with no fuel and no dealer nearby. I was lucky in that I had about a quarter tank left and was five miles away from home when it happened. Not worth making a special trip to dealer for now as long as it works but will review at first check up. The parts department will also have a schematic of components for that area and if there is an emergency release it will show the parts.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes Benz C300 4matic
I don't think the fuel door is sticking. It's actually a bad design (THIS is a 2015 C300). It works as it was designed, you have to push in on the aft end of the door AND HOLD it three seconds until the little actuator unwinds then the door sort of pops open. Then when closing you have to close it and hold it in for like a second so the funky latch goes around and catches it. It works every time this way, but I'm really surprised MB let this fuel door go out in the field with this design flaw. by the way mine was a lease retuern so naturally the fuel door was bent from people before me trying to pry open the damned thing before learning the trick.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:07 PM

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
300sl roadster
hello neighbor - had the same issue on my 2018 GTC Roadster but was down to fumes and 25 miles from home at 10:30p... The door had opened b4 but not that night... called tech and got a person who informed me there is no emergency release mechanism.. I tried and tried.. It was late but a MB shop tech came to the gas station (he was 20 miles away) and after a few tries, ir opened... found out there is a sweet spot push and it's not right over the lock.. kinda left center and it does take kindly to pounding it.. really is a firm push in the proper place and I never had another non-opening event... no adjustment or lubricant was needed, just a little love touch...
Old 05-19-2021, 11:55 AM
PDC

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 SL65 ///AMG - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN: 2005 E55; 2002 ML55; 2001 CLK55; 1992 BMW 850i; 1991 M5
Just went through this issue yesterday with my 2016 GTS. Car only has 8k miles and with COVID I probably wasn’t filling but once every 6 weeks. When I would gently push the fuel door, I could hear the servo making its electric whine but the latch pin was not releasing. It finally let go after several tries. I bathed the latch mechanism and the actuator plunger with a spray lubricant and it returned to working perfectly. I think the plastic components just grab and stick if left latched for weeks on end. Especially after washing when water settles into the moving parts and then dries - sort of like the loud ‘pop’ you hear after washing the car and parking it so the parking brake clamps down while wet, and then dries in the latched position. It is really disconcerting that MB did not work an emergency cable pull over-ride for the latch like virtually every sedan and SUV in the line-up.
Old 12-11-2021, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300
HI John, I am currently having this same issue on my 2017 C300. Your suggestion did not work. Any other thoughts?
Old 12-11-2021, 01:07 PM
PDC

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 SL65 ///AMG - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN: 2005 E55; 2002 ML55; 2001 CLK55; 1992 BMW 850i; 1991 M5
I will let you all know that after freeing the door and dousing the mechanism with lubricant, the fix was short-lived. It got stuck in the closed position again a few weeks later and absolutely no amount of coaxing or finesse would get it open. I ended up taking it to the dealership where they determined that it had a faulty latch mechanism. They had to remove the rear passenger tire and inner fender well to get to the latch. $400.00 later, she had a new fuel door latch mechanism and works as she should.
Old 12-11-2021, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 872 Likes on 451 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
I would caution against any kind of lubricant on this mechanism. Can't think of any type, including WD40 or Silicone lubricant that wouldn't accumulate dirt along with moisture and turn into a gum.

If anything, use something like CRC QD Electronic cleaner which can help clean the mechanism but dries quickly and leaves no residue. It should be kept clean but dry and oil free.