Car Colors and Finishes...?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Car Colors and Finishes...?!

I have been debating with a fellow GT owner that the Magno series paints really sets the car apart and shows the cars lines more. I have asked many many people and have read a ton about the Magno paint and all sources say it is one hell of a tough and strong paint, contrary to belief. It keeps well with just a simple wash and matt wiping spray. What do you know about it and what are the long term results?

Wanted to get opinions on what colors look the best (I know it's subjective but give me your thoughts anyway).

Also, I think matt paint shows the lines better than gloss, gloss may be easier to rectify, but Magno sets the car apart and contrasts the trim better. As a "high end" AMG, I feel Magno is amazing. I have Irridum Magno myself and it is stunning, as with other Magno paints I've seen.

Wanted to get opinions...
Old 12-19-2018, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 219 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
Two Words: Xpel Stealth.
My favorite colors:
1. Solarbeam Yellow!
2. Green Hell Magno
3. Selenite Gray Magno
4.Diamond White Metallic
Old 12-19-2018, 11:48 PM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G63 & 991.2 GT3 & AMG GT
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
I have asked many many people and have read a ton about the Magno paint and all sources say it is one hell of a tough and strong paint, contrary to belief. .
3rd car of the owner, handful of miles, Magno grey, had several chips on the nose right down to the white primer. More worrying was a big chip on the door sill from a shoe.

It didn't seem to take hits particularly well, chipping in pieces, rather than keeping the damage more localised.

Does look great though, so PPF all the way...... but then why not buy metallic and matte PPF?
Old 12-20-2018, 06:37 AM
sno

Received 146 Likes on 105 Posts
EQE 350+, EQS 450+, AMG C63
Magno paints are awesome, I love the way it sets off the car. They look more aggressive to me. I had a choice when I went to get my 18 GTS, I went with the Designo Diamond White, the way the color shifts in the sun is just crazy. Note it does not change colors it seems to change shades and in certain angles looks matt...
Old 12-20-2018, 07:59 AM

Received 129 Likes on 82 Posts
fun ones.
I'm the complete opposite, I think the Magno paints look cheap.

Detailers I've spoken to haven't been impressed with the Magno Green on the GTR and cars without PPF I've seen have been shot to bits (BUT I don't know the mileage so...)

Personally I think the Solar Beam is the most premium looking of the paints and my favourite is good old Brilliant Blue, it looks stunning on my GTR!
Old 12-20-2018, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
I am on my second magno paint AMG. It does set the car apart and the paint is very easy to maintain but it is fairly fragile. I am not saying it chips easily but the chips seem to show a bit more. I did Xpel my front with a matte PPF to protect it and you cannot see the difference.
While doing a matte PPF over the entire car is an option, I do believe the finished product is not as stunning as the magno paint.
I would not recommend a magno color as a DD but for a week end car, it has my thumbs up.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:55 AM

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts
2014 C63 Edition 507
You'll find other threads on Matte Paint and paint care, but I'll summarize my experience as follows:
  • Very easy to care for - hand wash, then dry. Use the proper product (without waxes in it). I like the Dr Beasley's suite of products very much
  • The finish I also find very hard. I have not had excessive amounts of chipping although mine is a weekend car. If i were daily driving through winter conditions, I would definitely wrap the front end though. It's too beautiful a finish to see messed up.
  • The color is outstanding. It does highlight the cars shape very well and in different lighting conditions, it will appear different. In bright light, the Magno Platinum looks more silver, at dusk, a darker gray. Either way, it looks more aggressive.
  • Lots of compliments and Magno definitely sets the car apart from others
  • I drove a Green Hell Magno and Night Black Magno car this past Summer and prefer the Night Black. It has these tiny flakes of green, gold and red in it that really look cool in bright light
  • Cannot do touch-ups like gloss paints, that is a downside
Old 12-20-2018, 02:22 PM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
In my opinion, Matte paint is a fad and will eventually go out of style. Of course I'm partial to Brilliant Blue, love the metallic flakes and shimmering quality in direct sunlight.

Can't speak specifically for Mercedes paint but with other marques, the problem with Matte paint is if you sustain a significant rock chip or scratch, touching up just that area will create noticeable visual irregularities between the touchuped area and the rest of the panel. Thus, to get true uniform Matte color respray of the entire panel is required which ends up being cost-prohibitive for the daily driving purposes I use my GTS for.

The way I look at it, if I have to wrap the Matte paint AMG to avoid damage to the paint and expensive resprays, why not use a Matte clear wrap over the OEM metallic paint and not have to deal with the price premium and potential hassles?
The following 2 users liked this post by surfah:
California John (12-20-2018), MalibuScott (12-20-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Mostly agree on your thoughts but one reason to go Magno is because a matte wrap over the magno paint dumbs down a little bit the finish and is not as eye popping as the original magno paint.
Not discernible from far away but put one car wrapped and one without side by side and it becomes obvious.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 950 Likes on 571 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by emericr
Mostly agree on your thoughts but one reason to go Magno is because a matte wrap over the magno paint dumbs down a little bit the finish and is not as eye popping as the original magno paint.
Not discernible from far away but put one car wrapped and one without side by side and it becomes obvious.
I have the whole car wrapped in Xpel Stealth; my car is GHM. The wrap does slightly diminish the effect of the paint, BUT the benefits of protecting the paint from damage is so great that I’d never not have the car covered in PPF.

Bish
Old 12-22-2018, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 864 Likes on 450 Posts
2020 Huracan EVO AWD - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe - 2023 C63 S Coupe -
I had PPF done on the front half and came back the following week for the back. I checked and wanted to see/compare the car in sunlight/overcast and different angles. I can say based on my experience the diminished affect is negligible at best.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by surfah
In my opinion, Matte paint is a fad and will eventually go out of style. Of course I'm partial to Brilliant Blue, love the metallic flakes and shimmering quality in direct sunlight.

Can't speak specifically for Mercedes paint but with other marques, the problem with Matte paint is if you sustain a significant rock chip or scratch, touching up just that area will create noticeable visual irregularities between the touchuped area and the rest of the panel. Thus, to get true uniform Matte color respray of the entire panel is required which ends up being cost-prohibitive for the daily driving purposes I use my GTS for.

The way I look at it, if I have to wrap the Matte paint AMG to avoid damage to the paint and expensive resprays, why not use a Matte clear wrap over the OEM metallic paint and not have to deal with the price premium and potential hassles?
I expect more matte paints to come out in the future rather than less. I just hope that they become more practical. All the points mentioned are valid.
That said, Magno paint looks much better than a matte wrapped metallic paint IMO. Have Night Black Magno on the E63s and it has lots going on close up (sparkles on a matte paint was surprising).