Sponsored by:

Wing or no wing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 03:15 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 amg gts/ 2016 S63 coupe
Wing or no wing?

I’m considering adding a Darwin pro wing to my gts but I have to admit I actually like how it looks with no spoiler the clean lines I’m sure it would look more aggressive with the wing I think I just need to see one and than decide
Old 06-10-2019, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 692 Likes on 435 Posts
AMG
100% DP wing. You can see it on mine here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/amg-gt/58...ml#post7770795
The following users liked this post:
Yhasinc (06-14-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 07:05 PM

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
AMG GT S
DarwinPro wing for sure. Love mine. Car looks way too boring without it imo.
Yhasinc (06-14-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 09:35 PM

Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts
/////PRO
Add a wing.
I thought I was the only one that actually liked my stock little active aero wing, I liked it enough, but so happy I decided to change. Just did this change within the past month.

I spent MONTHS deciding between all the wing options, there was always something I didn’t quite like about each of the offerings out there, and once I decided I did NOT want to start slapping carbon fiber here and there all over the car, that made it even tougher as almost every company only does carbon fiber. Didn’t influence decision too much because I can always have that painted over. I was looking for best shape, size, flow, and smooth lines to my eye.

Then I found the one, and the paint match to my designo Diamond White Metallic for the base, and gloss black for the wing and mounts went on it locally. I am VERY happy with it. Might do a full write up thread on it to discuss the decision making process, why I didn’t love any of the other options out there enough to do those, install feedback, etc, etc.

Long winded response I know, but to circle back to the point, DO IT!

(This is NOT the brand mentioned above a couple times)

Last edited by dlefty; 06-10-2019 at 09:38 PM.
Yhasinc (06-14-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 09:45 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 amg gts/ 2016 S63 coupe
Originally Posted by dlefty
Add a wing.
I thought I was the only one that actually liked my stock little active aero wing, I liked it enough, but so happy I decided to change. Just did this change within the past month.

I spent MONTHS deciding between all the wing options, there was always something I didn’t quite like about each of the offerings out there, and once I decided I did NOT want to start slapping carbon fiber here and there all over the car, that made it even tougher as almost every company only does carbon fiber. Didn’t influence decision too much because I can always have that painted over. I was looking for best shape, size, flow, and smooth lines to my eye.

Then I found the one, and the paint match to my designo Diamond White Metallic for the base, and gloss black for the wing and mounts went on it locally. I am VERY happy with it. Might do a full write up thread on it to discuss the decision making process, why I didn’t love any of the other options out there enough to do those, install feedback, etc, etc.

Long winded response I know, but to circle back to the point, DO IT!

(This is NOT the brand mentioned above a couple times)

Do write up I’m goin they same tryn to figure out what I want I would like to hear your take on it
Old 06-10-2019, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by Yhasinc
Do write up I’m goin they same tryn to figure out what I want I would like to hear your take on it

Which ever one you choose, make sure you get one that is already set up to remount the old motor assembly to, so you don't get the CEL and electronic speed limiter activation.

Also, feel free to ask any product specific questions you might have.
Yhasinc (06-14-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 10:15 PM

/////PRO
Base plate with motor remount not necessary, I’m sure it might be nice if looking for easiest transition, but don’t let that be of influence if eliminating something you really like because it’s not there. I didn’t want to create a potential rattle trap down the road by keeping my motor on bottom of new base plate, so completely relocated it, and allowed it to run as normal so no issues.
Yhasinc (06-14-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 10:18 PM

/////PRO
One other quick suggestion. When doing install of new wing, take your time and be patient. Keep everything nice so easy to turn it all back to stock if you ever choose to do so. Nice to have that ability if the time ever comes.
Yhasinc (06-14-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 219 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
Depends how you will use the car. If daily driving it , I would say NO unless you want to look like a boy racer . The wing screams “ look at my toy”. It looks ridiculous in the parking lot at work .

If racing, go for it or just trade it in for a GTR. That’s what you really wanted anyway .
The following 3 users liked this post by thecutter64:
canucklehead (06-11-2019), MalibuScott (06-11-2019), Yhasinc (06-14-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Base plate with motor remount not necessary, I’m sure it might be nice if looking for easiest transition, but don’t let that be of influence if eliminating something you really like because it’s not there. I didn’t want to create a potential rattle trap down the road by keeping my motor on bottom of new base plate, so completely relocated it, and allowed it to run as normal so no issues.
Relocating the motor seems like a route that's much more likely to end up cause rattles and issues, plus losing hatch space, than just getting a wing with remounting built in, imo.
Yhasinc (06-14-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 09:33 AM

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
AMG GT S
Originally Posted by thecutter64
Depends how you will use the car. If daily driving it , I would say NO unless you want to look like a boy racer . The wing screams “ look at my toy”. It looks ridiculous in the parking lot at work .

If racing, go for it or just trade it in for a GTR. That’s what you really wanted anyway .
Pretty dumb statement. Most people think it fits the car very well and want a more aggressive look like on the GTR, so they spend $3k on a wing instead of $80k for almost the same car. If it was a GT3 sized wing then sure, boy racer, but the ones suggested are not that. Unless of course you're 60 years old and think "iT rUiNs ThE LiNeS"
The following 3 users liked this post by Rausky:
Orcbolg (06-11-2019), Ryane8182 (07-03-2019), Yhasinc (06-14-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by Rausky
Pretty dumb statement. Most people think it fits the car very well and want a more aggressive look like on the GTR, so they spend $3k on a wing instead of $80k for almost the same car. If it was a GT3 sized wing then sure, boy racer, but the ones suggested are not that. Unless of course you're 60 years old and think "iT rUiNs ThE LiNeS"

Yhasinc (06-14-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 10:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 AMG GT
Cosmetically it is a matter of opinion. I prefer the clean look of the wingless car, but to each their own.

My greater concern with the wing is that it upsets the balance of the car dynamically. You are increasing down force on the rear without an offsetting change to the front. This will create understeer during high speed cornering. Maybe no big deal if you just want to cruise around, but in that scenario you've increased drag which slows acceleration and it also hurts gas mileage. If you are fixated on getting a rear wing, I would at least want to look into a change on the front end as well via a splitter, spoiler, or canards to re-balance the handling of the car.
Yhasinc (06-14-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 11:01 AM

/////PRO
Originally Posted by jakermc
Cosmetically it is a matter of opinion. I prefer the clean look of the wingless car, but to each their own.

My greater concern with the wing is that it upsets the balance of the car dynamically. You are increasing down force on the rear without an offsetting change to the front. This will create understeer during high speed cornering. Maybe no big deal if you just want to cruise around, but in that scenario you've increased drag which slows acceleration and it also hurts gas mileage. If you are fixated on getting a rear wing, I would at least want to look into a change on the front end as well via a splitter, spoiler, or canards to re-balance the handling of the car.
True, but keep in mind, MOST, not all, but most here are entry level to mid level track experience and ability. And for those, more under steer is preferred VS more over steer. Only at the highest levels is more over steer generally preferred.

And let’s be honest, except the select few, most people will not have the ability, or the want, to drive the car beyond 8/9 tenths, so at the lower levels, these things are non factors, it will be the driver that is the limiting factor.
The following 2 users liked this post by dlefty:
Orcbolg (06-11-2019), Yhasinc (06-14-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 12:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 AMG GT
True, but keep in mind, MOST, not all, but most here are entry level to mid level track experience and ability. And for those, more under steer is preferred VS more over steer. Only at the highest levels is more over steer generally preferred.

And let’s be honest, except the select few, most people will not have the ability, or the want, to drive the car beyond 8/9 tenths, so at the lower levels, these things are non factors, it will be the driver that is the limiting factor.
Certainly a lot of truth to what you've said. I've been racing competitively for 15 years or so, so the balance of the car is critical to me even when driving a street car off the track. I would certainly recognize a car pushing through something as simple as a highway on ramp, but agreed, many would not.

But I also feel this is a (front) mid-engine car that was engineered with handling characteristics taking a much greater priority than anything else MB has ever produced and it seems a shame to undermine that. This is a real sports car, I'd love for the community to embrace that and explore its limits, not tame it.
Yhasinc (06-14-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 02:07 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
I prefer wing to add sport to the smooth plain back end.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
The following 3 users liked this post by Exotic-metal55:
Orcbolg (06-11-2019), Yhasinc (06-14-2019), ZephyrAMG (06-11-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 10:57 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2007 E63 Wagon
https://mbworld.org/forums/market/748201

I have a DarwinPro wing for sale if you are interested.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:06 AM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
2017 AMG GT S
Wing all the way, car looks a whole lot better with it