Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

IceLink> Plus navigation issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 C32, 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2007 Harley NightRod, 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom
Question IceLink> Plus navigation issues

While I don't have a nav unit I have the OEM head unit to interface with the
iceLink >Plus unit. The problem is: I often at times have a hard time navigating
the iPod by using the head unit controls. The << >> work most of the time but
appear to be delayed when reaching the iPod. Maybe I'm missing a manual or
just missing something but I was hoping to have the head unit navigate the iPod
in an easy process. I would prefer to just use the iPod but the controls are locked out when connected to the iceLink >Plus device. Anyone else have like
problems? So for me, the biggest gain is connectivity and I was hoping for more
iPod control.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
What generation iPod do you have?

If 3rd or 4th, you should be able to switch to the iPod UI and use the click wheel control. Be sure your control lockout on the iPod isn't engaged.

If 1st or 2d, you should still be able to use the iPod controls; and the iPod UI is your only option.

I don't know your head unit controls, but generally, activation of < or > for less than 2 seconds scrolls to the next selection (wherever you are in a menu). To enter a new menu or playlist, or to select an item, you hold the < or > key down for 2 seconds. Some radios have a separate button to select and to enter.

Last edited by Skylaw; 03-23-2005 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 C32, 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2007 Harley NightRod, 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom
Originally Posted by Skylaw
What generation iPod do you have?

If 3rd or 4th, you should be able to switch to the iPod UI and use the click wheel control. Be sure your control lockout on the iPod isn't engaged.

If 1st or 2d, using the iPod controls is your only option.

I don't know your head unit controls, but generally, activation of < or > for less than 2 seconds scrolls to the next selection (wherever you are in a menu). To enter a new menu or playlist, or to select an item, you hold the < or > key down for 2 seconds. Some radios have a separate button to select and to enter.
It's the 3rd gen iPod and my controls on the iPod are locked out when the device is connected. I double checked the lock-out on the iPod just be sure it
wasn't something I did or am doing wrong. I'm going to check it again tomorrow. I wish I had a nav unit not just for the nav but for the ipod information to display on it.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sadly, you may get more info on your head unit than I get on COMAND 2.5. There isn't much displayed. I also note a lag in the function of the controls - I have learned to wait for the push of a button to complete its function before pushing again. Annoying, since nothing else in the car works as slowly.

The lockout of your iPod controls should happen when you are in the Dension UI, but should not happen when you are in the iPod UI. Are you certain you're getting into the iPod UI when you connect? The instructions on how to do it could be clearer, but they are in your instruction sheet.

If you are in the Dension UI (you get a big check mark when you plug it into the connector), you'll need to find and select the iPod UI, disconnect for 20 seconds, then reconnect. Once there, your iPod controls will work. The head unit controls will also work, but the menus are different between the interfaces.

The iPod remains in whichever UI you were last in when you disconnect it - so once you're in the iPod UI, you'll stay in it until you re-enter the Dension UI.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sadly, you may get more info on your head unit than I get on COMAND 2.5. There isn't much displayed. I also note a lag in the function of the controls - I have learned to wait for the push of a button to complete its function before pushing again. Annoying, since nothing else in the car works as slowly.

The lockout of your iPod controls should happen when you are in the Dension UI, but should not happen when you are in the iPod UI. Are you certain you're getting into the iPod UI when you connect? The instructions on how to do it could be clearer, but they are in your instruction sheet.

If you are in the Dension UI (you get a big check mark when you plug it into the connector), you'll need to find and select the iPod UI, disconnect for 20 seconds, then reconnect. Once there, your iPod controls will work. The head unit controls will also work, but the menus are different between the interfaces.

The iPod remains in whichever UI you were last in when you disconnect it - so once you're in the iPod UI, you'll stay in it until you re-enter the Dension UI.

The delay is annoying. I would think this would have been fixed a long time ago. That's what I need.... to figure out how to get the iPod UI mode. I do recall seeing the big check mark on the iPod. The lock out on the iPod is disabled. I must be missing a manual explaining the Dension UI mode vs the iPod UI mode (which I'm familiar with). Thanks for the info! trbo
Old 03-24-2005, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

http://www.densionusa.com/images/ins...ers_manual.pdf

Page 13.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks!

Now I'm happy!!! I didn't get this manual. I'm sending this to work to print!

Thanks again!

Bob