Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Subs for the E-class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 11:17 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subs for the E-class

Hey guys!

Just curious. What's a good sub to install brand wise and size?? Was looking to get some Alpine subs, rockford fosgate or perhaps JL audio?? What do you guys think?? Suggestions or comments>?

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2002, 02:24 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Had a pair of JL Audio dub 6's 2/12", those are nice for the money, crystal clear base and loud as ****
Old 07-07-2002, 09:34 PM

Mercedes-Benz 300D TURBO 1987
What sub to use

There are many good subwoofers out there. A more important concern is how big an enclosure they require for optimum performance. Each subwoofer comes with its own Thiel Small Parameters which dictate the interior box volume. The type of enclosure makes the most difference when adding a sub. If you want to hear the bass inside your Mercedes, you should find a competent box builder who can design a box with a partially external port (square so it won't whistle) that might exit out the top of the box and enter the interior through the rear package shelf. Imagine, deep, accurate, tight bass INSIDE the car!! When you go shopping, forget what the sub looks like, you want quality bass. You can obtain Mercedes carpet to match your trunk and have the box upholstered to match. P.
Old 07-08-2002, 12:39 AM

JL, sor super SQ, and space saving
Old 07-08-2002, 12:41 AM

JL for super SQ, and space saving
Old 07-12-2002, 03:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
96 P993T, 00 E55, 09 SL63
Small sub

I am simply using a small 8" sub in a sealed enclosure installed against the rear deck panel with ducting made thru the second 6"hole next to the stock 6" mid woofer. It is driven by a Fosgate mono-sub amp.

I do not need to wake up my neighbors with my-set-up
Old 07-12-2002, 03:30 PM
apb

08 S550, 10 GLK350, 05 Clk500
I have two free air 8" kicker subwoofer in my rear deck for stealth installation.
Each sub has a pioneer sub for about 120-150 watts.
Otherwise, I think the infinity 10" sub/amp/box combo is the simple way to go. The Infinity will accept a speaker wire signal.
I almost went that route.
Old 07-16-2002, 01:27 AM

'02 c230 coupe
just get one of these
Old 07-16-2002, 01:34 AM

'02 c230 coupe
i know its not an e-class, but that sub's SQ at high volume is absolutely phenominal. I heard one in a 5-series before my car and it sounds even better in a trunk. Plus you have the added pleasure of enough trunk space to build a nice shape box and still get to your spare. Im gonna have to lose that thing soon and get a new box.
Old 07-19-2002, 02:19 AM

2000 F-150 XLT Sport Crew Cab
I have subs I will sell you in a box if your interested. I have 2 12" JL's in a box already to go. Im selling my complete system. Amp, head unit/speakers and box.
Old 07-19-2002, 10:19 AM
Out Of Control!

TNat

What brand and setup exactly is that you have there?

Thanks!
Old 07-19-2002, 03:35 PM

2000 F-150 XLT Sport Crew Cab
I have 2 JL w0's with a custom fit box for a E class, with a Power Acoustik 600 Watt amp, and a NEW panasonic DVD/CD head unit.

I will sell the whole set up if interested, or i will split it up.
just let me know, i have pictures for everything.
thanks
Ron
Old 07-23-2002, 10:41 AM
Out Of Control!

Thanks for all the info guys. I visited this shop in downtown LA called LA Sound System and this guy was giving me his sales speech about getting so really good speakers. He told me to get Focal speakers and zapco (think that's the way it's spelled) amps which zapco never heard of but i have heard of Focals. Anybody dealt with this sound shop before? Comments suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2002, 01:45 AM

'02 c230 coupe
Jam,
Thats a JL 10w7 in my hatch. I have a JL 500/1 amp pushing it. I highly recomend the w7s. One 10 is more than enough for any sound system. My one ten is as loud as my friends 3 JL12w3's. Same price but 1/3 of the space. Ive heard very good things about focal speakers, but never heard of the zapcos. Think about JL, you really cant go wrong.
Old 07-24-2002, 01:56 AM

'02 c230 coupe
cheout my amps. This setup will all be changed very soon
Old 07-24-2002, 10:01 AM

E55
I heard of Focal's, they are very expensive speakers that sound really natural. Funny, you bring in a Mercedes to a shop and they recommend the uber expensive stuff. Bring in a honda they would recommend Bostons or MB Quarts etc..

Zapco, are very good amps. I haven't keep track with the Car Audio industry for awhile. But when I was younger I always wanted a Zapco amp, but it was to expensive for me. So instead I bought a SoundStream amp. Not sure if Zapco is supreme now. Personally I still like A/D/S. Very clean power and you can turn up the volume full blast without distortion (with the right setup), but if you are "want your car to go BOOM" just get a rockford punch or precision power amp.

Wreck
Old 07-24-2002, 10:04 AM

E55
Re: Small sub

Originally posted by E55MKB
I am simply using a small 8" sub in a sealed enclosure installed against the rear deck panel with ducting made thru the second 6"hole next to the stock 6" mid woofer. It is driven by a Fosgate mono-sub amp.

I do not need to wake up my neighbors with my-set-up
Dude I really like you setup with the subs. Who did if for you? Is he in the LA Area?

Wreck
Old 07-24-2002, 10:53 AM
Out Of Control!

Originally posted by TNat
Jam,
Thats a JL 10w7 in my hatch. I have a JL 500/1 amp pushing it. I highly recomend the w7s. One 10 is more than enough for any sound system. My one ten is as loud as my friends 3 JL12w3's. Same price but 1/3 of the space. Ive heard very good things about focal speakers, but never heard of the zapcos. Think about JL, you really cant go wrong.
TNat

Thanks for the info. This was also a sub the guy recommended w7's. So i may check this out. Although i'm not too sold about the zapcos.
Old 07-24-2002, 10:55 AM
Out Of Control!

Originally posted by Wreck
I heard of Focal's, they are very expensive speakers that sound really natural. Funny, you bring in a Mercedes to a shop and they recommend the uber expensive stuff. Bring in a honda they would recommend Bostons or MB Quarts etc..

Zapco, are very good amps. I haven't keep track with the Car Audio industry for awhile. But when I was younger I always wanted a Zapco amp, but it was to expensive for me. So instead I bought a SoundStream amp. Not sure if Zapco is supreme now. Personally I still like A/D/S. Very clean power and you can turn up the volume full blast without distortion (with the right setup), but if you are "want your car to go BOOM" just get a rockford punch or precision power amp.

Wreck
So i guess Focals are good. But Zapco???? hhmmm. Need to do a little more homework on this one.
Old 07-24-2002, 01:25 PM

ZAPCO AMPS are awesome, yes there not that well known but trust me they are incredible, they are right up there with Phoenix Gold, Precision Power (my fav), as far as Focals go those are probably the best speakers out there (depending on which line you get)....but I would def consider the Zapco amps, if not then go for Phoenix Gold which are small amps that save a lot of room and put out tons of power, if you are an audio nut and plan to run 2 or 0 guage wiring in your car and get a new alternator then go for Precision Power but be ready to shell out good money......I ALSO have a box and two 12" for sale, they are set in a sealed box and are Infinity Kappa PERFECTS, the same says it all, if you are interested email me at naydin@aol.com................
Old 07-24-2002, 08:41 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally posted by CLKfanatic
ZAPCO AMPS are awesome, yes there not that well known but trust me they are incredible, they are right up there with Phoenix Gold, Precision Power (my fav), as far as Focals go those are probably the best speakers out there (depending on which line you get)....but I would def consider the Zapco amps, if not then go for Phoenix Gold which are small amps that save a lot of room and put out tons of power, if you are an audio nut and plan to run 2 or 0 guage wiring in your car and get a new alternator then go for Precision Power but be ready to shell out good money......I ALSO have a box and two 12" for sale, they are set in a sealed box and are Infinity Kappa PERFECTS, the same says it all, if you are interested email me at naydin@aol.com................
Thanks CLKfanatic!

Do you have a website for Zapco?
Old 07-25-2002, 05:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210, W220, W163, W164, C6
Thumbs up Zapco

www.zapco.com

I've used their C2k series amps and what sets them apart from other amp manuf. is the symbilink cables used to eliminate noise induction found on most RCA cables...but symbilink cables + amps =$$$. I later sold the unit and went with a Mcintosh amp with a Dynaudio front soundstage...Focals are top notch too.
LA Sound System have competitive prices and they claim to be authorize dealer for most of the products they sell...location & parking could be improved.

Regards
Richard
Old 07-25-2002, 10:13 AM
Out Of Control!

Re: Zapco

Originally posted by Richard023
www.zapco.com

I've used their C2k series amps and what sets them apart from other amp manuf. is the symbilink cables used to eliminate noise induction found on most RCA cables...but symbilink cables + amps =$$$. I later sold the unit and went with a Mcintosh amp with a Dynaudio front soundstage...Focals are top notch too.
LA Sound System have competitive prices and they claim to be authorize dealer for most of the products they sell...location & parking could be improved.

Regards
Richard
Thanks Richard023!

Here's the one thing about LA Sound System is when i asked the sales guy if they are an authorized F1 Status dealer and he was like "yeah we can get them for you it's just paper works not getting finished.." so i can see this guy actually lie through his teeth. Because i know what dealers are F1 status and this guy couldn't give me a straight answer.