Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

CLK COMAND retrofit...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK COMAND retrofit...

I've a '00 CLK320 with completely stock system - no changer or COMAND. I'm adding a COMAND and a trunk mounted CD changer from a '01 (I think) CLK55. I'll be receiving the COMAND and changer/bracket in the next couple days.

Question? I've got a Mercedes service guy who will do the install but he's not really familiar with it. I've asked Steve at MBenzNL if I could purchase his "kit" but he can't seem to part with one. Will I need to purchase anything to add these devices? If so, what and where? I appreciate any feedback. I have reviewed a number of forums but haven't found specifically the answers for this particular question. thanks!
Old 04-24-2005, 09:56 AM

Question Does anyone ever respond?

I'm a former BMW convert. The difference between this site and Roadfly is amazing. Roadfly gets you HUGE feedback for BMWs. Seems like MB members here aren't so quick to help out. Is there a better forum for getting assistance? I am truly amazed. In other words, is there a place where people collaborate as much as BMW owners on Roadfly? No offense, but seriously!
Old 04-26-2005, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 E350 wagon; BMW G12 (2020) G01 (2019)
Originally Posted by wmhjr
I'm a former BMW convert. The difference between this site and Roadfly is amazing. Roadfly gets you HUGE feedback for BMWs. Seems like MB members here aren't so quick to help out. Is there a better forum for getting assistance? I am truly amazed. In other words, is there a place where people collaborate as much as BMW owners on Roadfly? No offense, but seriously!
Maybe there is no answer to the question. I have had no problem getting (and giving) information on this forum, which I consider very valuable. But sometimes the question is outside the knowledge of anyone in the group. Having been on Roadfly too, there are times when there is no easy answer. In addition, the number of responses is not always indicative of information being exchanged. Sometimes its just chitchat. JMHO
Old 04-26-2005, 12:15 PM

Don't know what your level of expertise is, but it is not plug and play.

Here's a start:

http://www.ibex.co.uk/mbstuff/Retrofitting%20Comand.htm

and
http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsite/comand_2.0.htm

Main thing you will need for the wiring harness is a C1/C2 adapter, which is not cheap...actually I don't even know if anyone sells it..but a wiring loom can be modified to it.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:21 PM

For the cd changer install, the phone bulletins up until 2003 also included cd changer installs.

http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsit..._bulletins.htm
Old 04-26-2005, 01:57 PM

Thanks, but

I've seen those pages. The problem is that they really focus on the W203 to a large extent, or are at least not what I'd call "conclusive" for an '00 W208. I don't have experience to know how much different those chassis may have been configured. For example, is the C1/C2 adapter simply because it's hard to find ones that are somehow hidden in the car, or because they're not present?

("This probably wasn’t necessary but made the install easier for me as I didn’t have to locate/find the C1 and C2 connector/shell pieces that plug into the back of the COMAND unit. "). Not sure if he meant hard to locate in the car, or hard to locate through a dealer.

I'm also confused as to whether there is or is not coax already installed for the GPS antenna, and whether a splitter is required to use the existing GPS antenna.

Finally, I'm confused as to whether the dealer needs to reprogram. Steve sells a kit for example which I didn't think required dealer programming. However, why would his be any different?
Old 04-26-2005, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
I've seen those pages. The problem is that they really focus on the W203 to a large extent, or are at least not what I'd call "conclusive" for an '00 W208. I don't have experience to know how much different those chassis may have been configured. For example, is the C1/C2 adapter simply because it's hard to find ones that are somehow hidden in the car, or because they're not present?

("This probably wasn’t necessary but made the install easier for me as I didn’t have to locate/find the C1 and C2 connector/shell pieces that plug into the back of the COMAND unit. "). Not sure if he meant hard to locate in the car, or hard to locate through a dealer.

I'm also confused as to whether there is or is not coax already installed for the GPS antenna, and whether a splitter is required to use the existing GPS antenna.

Finally, I'm confused as to whether the dealer needs to reprogram. Steve sells a kit for example which I didn't think required dealer programming. However, why would his be any different?
Steve's kit doesn't require programming to work - it only requires reprogramming if you want the directions to show up in your display cluster (a service he is able to provide if he installs the unit as he has the necessary StarDiagnose computer). I had Steve install my COMAND years ago (before he had the Star Diagnose), and I just took my car to the dealer while it was still under warranty and told them that the directions suddenly stopped showing up in my cluster. They assumed the COMAND was factory equipped and turned on the cluster display.

Also, if you have an 00 320, then your car is equipped with TeleAid and thus already has a GPS antenna. Mercedes uses a special splitter to route the signal to the COMAND, but it's located behind the rear "C" pillar interior trim and is a pain in the *** to get to, so it's much easier to just install an additional GPS antenna (they're very easy to hide)

The best people to ask about this installation would be Steve or Dean (scorchie). They're by far the most knowledgeable on the board and have done this installation many, many times. I've just hung around and watched and think I know everything.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:22 PM

Thanks, so what you're saying is

1) The GPS antenna has cabling going to a point on the right rear C-Pillar trim. I would need additional coax to run from that point to behind the console along with the splitter if I wanted to use the roof mounted gps antenna? Otherwise I could mount a different unit under the dash. If I do this will there be any signal issue? I do have the rain sensing wipers - don't know if there's anything different about the glass.

2) I would need the "reprogramming" if I wanted to have the NAV directions to show up on my cluster. Otherwise it would work - including the steering wheel controls?

3) What about the C1/C2 connector/harness? I'm assuming that Steve used his harness so you may not know.

I've tried communicating with Steve but had no success due to him being unavailable. I've been trying for three weeks. I actually tried to buy an "install kit" without the COMAND but he (actually somebody minding his email while he was out) declined. I would have bought everything from Steve but wanted a US spec COMAND rather than a Euro unit. He had only Euro units. I would have LOVED to have just had him do it, or to get an "install" kit from him.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
1) The GPS antenna has cabling going to a point on the right rear C-Pillar trim. I would need additional coax to run from that point to behind the console along with the splitter if I wanted to use the roof mounted gps antenna? Otherwise I could mount a different unit under the dash. If I do this will there be any signal issue? I do have the rain sensing wipers - don't know if there's anything different about the glass.

2) I would need the "reprogramming" if I wanted to have the NAV directions to show up on my cluster. Otherwise it would work - including the steering wheel controls?

3) What about the C1/C2 connector/harness? I'm assuming that Steve used his harness so you may not know.

I've tried communicating with Steve but had no success due to him being unavailable. I've been trying for three weeks. I actually tried to buy an "install kit" without the COMAND but he (actually somebody minding his email while he was out) declined. I would have bought everything from Steve but wanted a US spec COMAND rather than a Euro unit. He had only Euro units. I would have LOVED to have just had him do it, or to get an "install" kit from him.
1. There shouldn't be a signal issue from an under dash mounting. Many of them are done this way and haven't had any problems. At the very worst, you'll pull 7 satellites instead of 8.
2. The steering wheel controls will still work for radio functions even without the cluster display turned on.
3. Steve uses OEM mercedes parts so all of his connectors are OEM.

Steve's running all over the place so it's tough to get ahold of him sometimes. Just out of curiosity, why didn't you want a Euro spec unit? I like them better than the US ones (Euro units have RDS, TMC support, TV Button, and the nav voice is a chick with a british accent). The only downside is that your AM stations will tune in about one unit off (639 vs. 640, 981 vs 980) but the stations still come in perfect. Oh and you lose the weatherband, but do you really ever use that anyway?

Ah well, it doesn't matter - no use talking about that if you already have your COMAND.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
You see, wmhjr, with patience came your answer. Particularly nice job, Josh K. And thanks to the others who helped.

wmhjr, you can search contributors such as Scorchie and Steve Krabbenborg (MBenzNL), as Josh K mentioned; Big Sis (may be Steve's Big Sis, but I speculate), Frank, miroj, and Sunman on both Benzworld and MB World forums. You will also find Paul H. Di ck (http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsite/) and Wolfgang (http://www.whnet.com/4x4/phones.html) informative on systems, even if not for your specific model car. Many of these folks contribute to multiple forums.

When you come across contributors who are somewhere in the ballpark (in other posts, as you search) you might look for those with hundreds, if not thousands, of posts. PM them.

Mercedes is not as easy to retrofit telematics as BMW seems to be. It is unfortunate, but the difficulty in retrofitting can reduce the number of peope who are expert in the area.

Last edited by Skylaw; 04-26-2005 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:55 AM

Euro vs US

I deliberated quite a bit, but AM can be a bit flaky here and I really didn't want to chance losing a couple stations in particular. That was really the main reason, along with just wanting to be as close to completely original as possible. Who knows - once the install is done swapping would be extremely simple. I've met others wanting the US spec unit as well, and could likely trade if I desired.

The question about the connectors got answered last night. I was asking if they were actually already in the car but just impossible to find, or if they were difficult to find from a dealer. I would love to have purchased the harness directly from Steve but the person answering his email said that they would not do that.

Originally Posted by Josh K
Steve uses OEM mercedes parts so all of his connectors are OEM.

Steve's running all over the place so it's tough to get ahold of him sometimes. Just out of curiosity, why didn't you want a Euro spec unit? I like them better than the US ones (Euro units have RDS, TMC support, TV Button, and the nav voice is a chick with a british accent). The only downside is that your AM stations will tune in about one unit off (639 vs. 640, 981 vs 980) but the stations still come in perfect. Oh and you lose the weatherband, but do you really ever use that anyway?

Ah well, it doesn't matter - no use talking about that if you already have your COMAND.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:23 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
I would love to have purchased the harness directly from Steve but the person answering his email said that they would not do that.
The reason for not selling the adapter harnesses separately is that we only have a limitted stock of these and send these out together with self install kits...I don't want to risk running out of these adapters - not being able to get new adapters in within a timely manner - and having to send comands out without an adapter harness...sorry.

greetingz,
Old 04-28-2005, 01:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Steve,
It's been a while since I've seen you man... last time you were here you installed my Command but never got a chance to install the adapter for the dvd player. I was wondering when you are coming back to L.A. so you could install that adapter. I didn't want the Tuner because for one the price and second I wouldn't use it that much unlike the adapter for the dvd. Thanks again.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:25 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by toymr2trd
I was wondering when you are coming back to L.A. so you could install that adapter.
...soon...mail us at Steve@MBenzNL.com

greetingz,