Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

problem with my amp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c-240
problem with my amp

Hi everyone, here is my problem:

6 months ago, I started having problems with my old amp (or so I thought), my subs would come in and out and would not stay on until finally it died. After that, they subs would come on when I turned my system off and on but for only a short period of time. I thought it was my amplifier and not the wiring since after checking, there was still power to the amp. The problem was there was no sound. Being a noob, I thought it was my amp. Therefore I bought the a brand new hifornics 1500d and replaced the old amp keeping all of the wiring in place since both amps have almost the same specs. Well to my dismay, the same thing is happening. There is power to the amp, but there is no sound coming out of the subwoofers. Could it be faulty wiring. Also can you please tell me what the remote lead wire exactly does? I wired the subs to a stock Mercedes 2002 system if that helps.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

In the market
The remote lead what actually turns the amp on and off. Your power wire should come directly from a battery (through a fuse of course), and your remote wire should come from a power source that is only hot when the headunit is on. Is your headunit stock or aftermarket. Definitley check you wiring from the amp to your subs. CHeck the actul connection on the subs themselves. The problem cloould also be at the subs.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:07 PM

c-240

I have a stock system. Could the line outpute converter be faulty or loose?
Old 05-12-2005, 03:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

In the market
That is definitley a possibility. What year is your C-240? I know that on mine there was no obvious ouput on the stock deck to feed the remote input on the amp. I am curious as to what signal you are feeding to that input
Old 05-12-2005, 03:38 PM

c-240

I have a 2002. to be honest I don't remember if I have a line output converter or if they were able to connect it the stock deck. I have been racking my brain all morning about it. I will probably bring in the car to an audio. hopefully I'll found out where they get the signal from.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:30 AM
Almost a Member!

the problem is your remote feed. Make sure your remote wire(blue) is connected properly to your fuse in your fuse box. Typically, when the system was installed, it probably rattled around and came loose.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there are 2 ways to check the remote wire. most all amps will have a light when it comes on. check to see if this is on when there is no sound. If so, that the remote wire is fine. My audio 10 in the 04 slk has a remote wire, i can't rember the color right now but it is on the back of the deck. you realy dont want to connect a remote to a fuse because most of those are key on key off. your amp will not come on without the key then. anyways, it can be a very good possability that the line out converter is bad. I had one go bad in my sisters jeep what I wired last year. Put a new one in and it works just fine. good luck