Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

alternator whine / AUX input / electrical humming

Old 11-11-2005, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All of them!
Originally Posted by ctC230K
Now my next problem- I turn the radio up as loud as it goes and sometimes I still want it to go louder. Maybe the Sirius doesn't put out enough volume but I think the problem is the head unit limiting what it sends to the stock speakers so I don't blow them.
No one wants to touch my audio system because it's all fiber optics and they claim they can kill the whole system if they short out one cable by accident and it's too much of a liability.

Use this to correct the problem. http://www.myradiostore.us/noise-fil...iamwisufi.html
Rich
Old 06-10-2014, 05:02 AM

2006 C320 CDI
Originally Posted by cc4469
Hi,
your problems should only exist while using the cigarette lighter for power supply of external audio equipment, which is connected to the Aux-In-Jack in the glovebox.
The problem can be solved by deleting the connection between shield and ground of the harness A 203 540 61 07 (the Aux-In-Harness).
With a stock Comand system, there is the Aux-In-jack in the glovebox. The wiring to the Aux-In-jack has a connection shield<->ground (connection between mesh network and brown wire) near the jack. If you CAREFULLY remove the isolation about 1" from the jack, about 1/2" wide, you will find the shield (mesh network). If you ALSO CAREFULLY cut this shield around the wires and remove it completely, afterwards use adhesive tape for the isolation, your problem is solved.
If you can wait until December 2005 or January 2006, you can get a new wiring harness (successor for the A 203 540 61 07) at your local MB dealer.
Does this suggestion work? I'm struggling with alternator whine on a mobile acting as audio source (only when charging). I have to charge on long trips though.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:10 PM

2006 C230
Originally Posted by lrossouw
Does this suggestion work? I'm struggling with alternator whine on a mobile acting as audio source (only when charging). I have to charge on long trips though.
Sorry to necro this thread, BUT THIS TOTALLY WORKS!

I was dealing with noise due to a ground loop. It happened when I would connect to an android phone to a charger in the front/rear 12V plug and the aux cable. My older BlackBerry phone somehow would cancel out the noise.

Anyway, when I was setting up the AUX in my 2006 C230 I couldn't source the special MB harness to connect to the plug under the passenger door, so I just cut it and connected it to a random RCA cable. I was confused by the largest black wire, it wasn't copper. In the end it turned out to be some kind of ground, so I attached it with the other ground to the LR grounds on the RCA cable. You can see that in the first attachment. Today, based on lrossouw's post I decided to check that out. Sure enough, as soon as I disconnect that thicker non-copper 'ground' black wire the noise disappeared and everything was perfect. I figured this could be useful to someone else dealing with ground loop noise in similar type car.
Attached Thumbnails alternator whine / AUX input / electrical humming-2016-08-30-19.23.55.jpg   alternator whine / AUX input / electrical humming-2016-08-30-19.29.52.jpg