Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

My Sirius signal gets block

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 and A-CLASS
My Sirius signal gets block

I love Sirius, but I do not understand why FM can go through anything and Sirius gets block by anything. It is irritating when a big semi is beside me, because I loose my Sirius signal.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
excites your girlfriend
where did you mount your antenna? right now mine is mounted inside the car on the center speaker in the middle of the dashboard (behind the windshield), it's magnetic so the antenna stays in place nicely but when i drive on a road with lots of big trees the signal cuts out frequently. in the city or highway or a road without trees over it, the signal is perfect.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:47 PM
liz

have a c-230 k loaner with sat. cuts out all of the time. antenna is located on rear trunk.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
I have my antenna under my hood fins. I have great reception, but noticed at one location that big semi trucks block my signal.

The picture is old. I did had problems at first losing my signal for no reason at all with a clear sky. I called Sirius and Sirius informed me that the outside antenna need to be at least 6” away from the windshield. So, I move the antenna 1 inch further away from the windshield or up in the picture and got great reception. But at one particular spot big semi can block my signal. Sirius also mentions to me that Memphis has a Sirius' repeater. I think the semi trucks are blocking the repeater signal.

If I go under anything man made, I will loose my signal. For some reason trees do not affect my signal, unless they are so close together that you can not walk through them.
Attached Thumbnails My Sirius signal gets block-sirius.jpg  

Last edited by tiggerfink; 05-18-2005 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:22 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by tiggerfink
I have my antenna under my hood fins. I have great reception, but noticed at one location that big semi trucks block my signal.

The picture is old. I did had problems at first losing my signal for no reason at all with a clear sky. I called Sirius and Sirius informed me that the outside antenna need to be at least 6” away from the windshield. So, I move the antenna 1 inch further away from the windshield or up in the picture and got great reception. But at one particular spot big semi can block my signal. Sirius also mentions to me that Memphis has a Sirius' repeater. I think the semi trucks are blocking the repeater signal.

If I go under anything man made, I will loose my signal. For some reason trees do not affect my signal, unless they are so close together that you can not walk through them.
It seems to me that this may be a matter of form vs. function. My center trunk mounted (albeit painted) glob of a Sirius antenna hardly ever loses its signal unless I enter a garage or something similar. Trees, trucks and tall buildings don't seem to be a factor in signal reception. Considering I could barely get an AM station on my prior "S" (2000), I'm quite pleased with the Sirius in my 2004 S500..
Old 05-21-2005, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Originally Posted by MBZFAN55
It seems to me that this may be a matter of form vs. function. My center trunk mounted (albeit painted) glob of a Sirius antenna hardly ever loses its signal unless I enter a garage or something similar. Trees, trucks and tall buildings don't seem to be a factor in signal reception. Considering I could barely get an AM station on my prior "S" (2000), I'm quite pleased with the Sirius in my 2004 S500..
I just do not think it is a matter of form –vs- function from my testing and listening to other folks with the Sirius antenna on the trunk. Even Liz mentions that he looses his signal with a trunk-mounted antenna.

My friend has a Sirius trunk mounted antenna. So we drove around Memphis and ate at Sonic to test our Sirius reception.

Here are the test results.

1. We both lost signal when a big semi drove past us at a know location that I loose my Sirius signal.

2. No signal lost when we drove faster than 30MPH under overpass.

3. We both lost signal driving on a road with pine trees on both sides higher than 4 stories and so close together where you could hardly walk between them. We noticed that we have most signal lost with pine trees. Did not get signal lost with oak trees.

4. I got signal lost at Sonic while ordering my food. He did not get signal lost. We think the reason was the front of my car was under the metal roof and his rear was not under the metal roof.