Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Mikbox vs. MbenzNL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mikbox vs. MbenzNL

I had a quick question about your expereinces with either mikbox or MBENZNL solutions for the phone in my 2004 SL500 (with a COMMAND system and V60 installed).

What I'd like to do is install a GSM phone in the car so that it will work with Cingular. I'd also like to keep all the functionality that I paid MB for originally (voice dial, teleaid, speakerphone, microphone, etc)

It seems that both will solve the problem and allow me to use a Cingular in the SL. What have your experiences been with these options?

SERVICE: From what I read, both guys are great and helpful.

PRICE: It seems there is a price difference with Mikbox being cheaper and relatively easier to install compared to a UHI kit from NL?

UPGRADES: From what I understant the UHI kit is what's being installed in the MB's in Europe while the Mikbox is just a work around for the current US model (and replacing the cradle). For my purposes (Cingular phone x a few years) is one better?

FUNCTION: In one forum, I read that Mik recommends using Verizon (non-GSM) phones for his solution instead of GSM units due to "interference." Has this affected you (if you have a Mikbox and a GSM phone)?

Thanks in advance for helping me solve this FRUSTRATING problem. I'm just thankful that there are people who have found solutions to this issue!
Old 07-05-2005, 03:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 E63S wagon, 2016 GLE350d, GLE450 on order
I would highly recommend Steve (MbenzNL). I recently saw him install the phone system in a C-class and the intergration was amazing, and something the dealer could not tell that it had been installed outside the factory. I am going to have it done in my E55 shortly. The other way is cheaper, but there is always a trade-off when you go that route
Old 07-05-2005, 04:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
SL65 AMG
Mik-Box did the trick for me

I can't speak for the MBenzNL solution - never seen it. But I can tell you about my experience with the Mik-Box.

First off, I've got Cingular also, and my phone is a Sony Ericsson. I had a Motorola V600 that I'd never really used because I didn't like the interface. The Moto is compatible with the Mik-Box, but I didn't want to lose my SE for every day use because most calls are made outside the car anyway.

I got the Mik-Box and installed it with ease in under an hour (plus the trip to the hardware store to get the Torx-6 bit). All the expected functions work flawlessly. I can scroll through the phonebook via steering wheel controls or through the COMAND headunit. Speakerphone (obviously), plus voice dial (if your car's equipped) all work just fine.

Only thing I can't seem to figure is how to answer a call waiting and toggle the two calls. As for the interference, it's not always there, and when it is there it's minimal. The other party can not hear it anyway.

I've since turned up a new phone number dedicated to the car phone, 10 bucks a month on Cingular. Now when I'm in the car, I just forward my "real" number to my car - this way no one needs to ever dial the car's number.

Good luck!
-V
Old 07-05-2005, 04:38 PM
Mik

Vendetta,
The call waiting feature depends on the phone, head unit, and PSE combination that you use. If all three support call waiting, it should work. You might have to change a Mikbox setting for it. Check out the "Firmware Functions" document in the download section of www.mikbox.com , it describes how to change the settings for the call waiting feature. This only works for Firmware version 2.13 and later. If you have an earlier version, drop me a mail.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by Mik
Vendetta,
The call waiting feature depends on the phone, head unit, and PSE combination that you use. If all three support call waiting, it should work. You might have to change a Mikbox setting for it. Check out the "Firmware Functions" document in the download section of www.mikbox.com , it describes how to change the settings for the call waiting feature. This only works for Firmware version 2.13 and later. If you have an earlier version, drop me a mail.
gujjuman, I forgot to mention, but it's obvious now. Mik is VERY supportive of his product. A real pro.

Mik, I'm on 2.111 so you've got mail.

-V
Old 07-05-2005, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Both solutions are great but only the MBENZNL solution is supported via the dealers daignostic. So even if Steve is not there you can still take it to the dealer and get them to help you with the problem.

With the MikBox you have to find someone who knows how to troubleshoot that unit. So the difference is more likely the after-sales ease of service.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Both solutions are great but only the MBENZNL solution is supported via the dealers daignostic. So even if Steve is not there you can still take it to the dealer and get them to help you with the problem.

...........I wish this were true. I have no experience with MikBox but I I have a MBENZL UHI kit in my CLK and it works flawlessly. However, recent attempts to get the dealer to simply swap the UHI kit from one car to the other was unsuccessful. The dealer stated that they were unfamiliar with it and could not guarantee that my car was not going to be struck by thunder as a result of the "unauthorized" UHI kit. So they did not do it. So whatever choice you make (ikBox vs MBENZL) just know that you are on your own. If you need support, then you should consider the relative availability of each vendor and not count on any help from the dealer.

Ted
Old 07-05-2005, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
benzmodz is from down under and the UHI is standard on their MBZs. Of course they have techs that would service it. However, here in the US of A where everything is highly regulated, the UHI kit is not available so no one can service it
Old 07-05-2005, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Right now, with my CDMA V60 in the North American 2004 W211, I can read incoming SMS text messages, would the Mik and UHI interface support this feature?
Old 07-05-2005, 11:45 PM
Mik

Currently, the Mikbox does not work on any W211 cars.
See www.mikbox.com/miw.cgi
Old 07-06-2005, 07:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 C350 4MATIC
Most

None of it helps when you have MOST bus instead of DB2
Old 07-06-2005, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
The UHI actually works with the MOST bus and the North American vehicles get to keep their Teleaid function too, as far as I remember.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin

...........I wish this were true. I have no experience with MikBox but I I have a MBENZL UHI kit in my CLK and it works flawlessly. However, recent attempts to get the dealer to simply swap the UHI kit from one car to the other was unsuccessful. The dealer stated that they were unfamiliar with it and could not guarantee that my car was not going to be struck by thunder as a result of the "unauthorized" UHI kit. So they did not do it. So whatever choice you make (ikBox vs MBENZL) just know that you are on your own. If you need support, then you should consider the relative availability of each vendor and not count on any help from the dealer.

Ted
Your dealer is out on his own IMHO ..... UHI is standard in Australia.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by Kev04C320
The UHI actually works with the MOST bus and the North American vehicles get to keep their Teleaid function too, as far as I remember.
Not only that, if you have MOST UHI you can also have MOST voice control and have them work together.

COnsidering that many of these options were deleted in the USA, it's nice to have the choice.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:38 PM

'06 C350 4MATIC
Most

Yea, I like the idea of UH1 and voice control. Would that be the linguatronic box that some people mount under the passenger seat?

Heck, I wouldn't be adverse to speaking at my car in german. "töten Sie den Dieb durch Stromschlag"
Old 07-06-2005, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce

...........You are right but.........it is not just my dealer. In the USA you cannot expect ny assistance from the dealer on anything not officially listed for the USA market. So whatever decisions you make about modifications to your car, you can count the dealer out of the equation. Sad but true.

Ted
Old 07-07-2005, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin

...........You are right but.........it is not just my dealer. In the USA you cannot expect ny assistance from the dealer on anything not officially listed for the USA market. So whatever decisions you make about modifications to your car, you can count the dealer out of the equation. Sad but true.

Ted
INcreasingly more and more USA dealers are using Steve to do special orders. This means that if you are lucky enough to live near one of those dealers then you can expect to have some more decent service.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:59 AM

'06 C350 4MATIC
Mikbox

This is what I got by email last night;

"Dear Ms. Hayes- Thanks so much for you interest in the MikBox. While we are working on the Nextel integration, we really can't provide any timeframe. Regarding the 2006 C Class---it is unforunately not equipped with a D2B fiber optical network, but the new MOST fiber network. The MikBox is currently unable to interface with the newest systems, and while we are working on it, can again offer no time frame.
In the meantime, we can add you to our database and will contact you as soon as these options become available.
Thanks again,
Kelly
Mik Automotive, Inc."

So I guess I know what of the two I am going to take. The Nextel integration is a lower priority than the bus interface.

I am glad he explained it, some companies will just say "sure it will work".
Old 07-07-2005, 08:33 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone..they've been really helpful...I had a couple of more questions, though...

1. if for SOME reason, I added the mikbox, would that make the UHI interface impossible to do down the road? From my understanding, it would be still ok to add the UHI since the mikbox is just a cradle + box attched to the PSE, right?

2. Does anyone know the best way to get a hold of Steve for a quote? I've sent a couple of emails, maybe he's out of town?

3. Will teleaid still work with Mikbox? Not a huge deal, but would like to know.

THANKS AGAIN!
Old 07-07-2005, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by gujjuman
Thanks for the replies everyone..they've been really helpful...I had a couple of more questions, though...

1. if for SOME reason, I added the mikbox, would that make the UHI interface impossible to do down the road? From my understanding, it would be still ok to add the UHI since the mikbox is just a cradle + box attched to the PSE, right?

2. Does anyone know the best way to get a hold of Steve for a quote? I've sent a couple of emails, maybe he's out of town?

3. Will teleaid still work with Mikbox? Not a huge deal, but would like to know.

THANKS AGAIN!
As I understand it the MIKBOX is inserted and removed without damage to the cars wiring. There is an adapter harness and the Mikbox.

To contact Steve you send an email to steve@mbenznl.com. Just be patient.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:01 PM

'06 C350 4MATIC
Mik

Yea, it the same issue came up with my dealership. I sent them the MIKBOX web site. Now they are referring other customers to them when they have the phone integration questions.