Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sirius Install on non-Prewired 2006?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Sirius Install on non-Prewired 2006?

So, my 2006 E55 is on the ground in the US & on its way to the dealer. Should be there this week.

BUT ... someone screwed up & Sirius radio was not installed at the factory & the car is not prewired. Salesman tells me they can't do the install. After doing some searching around on the net, I don't believe him. I suspect the Service dept just doesn't want to be bothered (or he is stalling because the cost will come out of hios pocket).

I'm thinking that someone here might have authoritative info on this issue. Any pointers appreciated.

--
Hook
Old 08-09-2005, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
If your car is a US specification car, it should be pre-wired. I don't believe the factory installs the Sirius unit. It is either installed at the port, or by the dealer. If the dealer did not order it as part of the car, it costs more for dealer installation. The "kit" is priced the same as the accessory, and installation adds about $ 200 more or less. If you have Sirius on your contract, don't accept delivery until it is installed. It really only takes a half hour to install, so I don't know why he is dragging his feet, unless he is a dog in trouble with the boss.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Moviela
If your car is a US specification car, it should be pre-wired. I don't believe the factory installs the Sirius unit. It is either installed at the port, or by the dealer. If the dealer did not order it as part of the car, it costs more for dealer installation. The "kit" is priced the same as the accessory, and installation adds about $ 200 more or less. If you have Sirius on your contract, don't accept delivery until it is installed. It really only takes a half hour to install, so I don't know why he is dragging his feet, unless he is a dog in trouble with the boss.
This appears to be no longer true for the 2006's. Now the factory installs the unit, or it doesn't get done AND the car is not prewired. Several others on the E55 list have confirmed this.

--
Hook
Old 08-30-2005, 03:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
I agree that the factory has started to install the Sirius units. I have driven an ML with a factory Sirius, and saw it listed on the factory sticker for an E class, but I could not see the antenna on either car.

That stinks if they no longer offer Sirius as a post sale option. I wonder what Mel Karmazin, the company’s Chief Executive Officer at Sirius thinks about that.

I hope you get the matter resolved to your satisfaction.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:35 AM

2006 BMW X5 4.8is and 2005 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Moviela
I agree that the factory has started to install the Sirius units. I have driven an ML with a factory Sirius, and saw it listed on the factory sticker for an E class, but I could not see the antenna on either car.
The Sirius antenna is installed inside the ML roof spoiler, so it is invisible. The spoiler is made out of a material the signal can pass through. You also won't see the antenna on the CL and CLK cabriolet, but on the rest of the classes you will. The factory now only does the wiring if sirius is ordered with car and the VPC does install of the antenna on the trunk lid.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C320 Coupe MT
Hook, does your car have the panorama roof? If so, it is pre-wired. If not, then it isn't. Either way, it still can be done, just with a bit more work.

However, it's worth it, either way to have a nice integrated solution.